PDA

View Full Version : Lake Piru

Cas
06-29-2004, 10:43 AM
ANyone have any info on this lake? My wife and I might be heading down to SoCal with the boat to visit her sister in Torrance.
How far is it from Torrance?
Is it worth the drive?
Looks pretty nice but I don't remember much talk about it on here.

Red Eye
06-29-2004, 11:06 AM
The lake is pretty small, but besides the point, you may want to head up to Castaic Lake. It'd be a lot closer to go to from Torrance.

HavasuDreamin'
06-29-2004, 12:22 PM
1:15 - 1:30 from Torrance assuming little to no traffic. Not a large lake, but then none of them in So. Cal. are. Somewhat muddy water the last time I was there. Not bad if you just want to go float some where.
Castaic is closer but LE is over the top since the HTM accident. I would avoid Castaic like the plague. Pyramid is closed.
I think you will be disappointed overall, but Piru may be your best bet. Now you know why everyone travels the 5 hours to hit up the Colorado River. It is worth it.

Rev. Williams
06-29-2004, 12:49 PM
I was at Piru Friday and it's still 90+ feet down. The launching is fine still, but being that low limits the number of coves you can go hide in. They have a marina that sells beer if you forget, they won't allow the "Lake Lice", and during the week there's maybe 10 boats on the water :D :D Small? Yes.... But peaceful.
BTW: Pyramid is opening back up this Friday..... :D :D :D

mirvin
06-29-2004, 01:24 PM
YOu might even want to try Elsinore. THe drive from Torrance is about the same as to Castaic.
mirvin;)

wedge44
06-29-2004, 02:55 PM
TOO SMALLTOO SMALL Avoid it:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: water not that good and low...Do Pyramid lake not much bigger but has better water...if your floating...otherwise go up river inlet arm good place to beach in the back...I'm still doing Berryessa next week:D :D :D

LASERRAY
06-29-2004, 03:25 PM
Avoid Piru. It's a mudhole. Pyramid re-opens on Friday July 2nd. Go there instead ;)

Cas
06-29-2004, 09:14 PM
hmmm, flip a coin huh? :D
More than likely it'll be a cruise and float type day, maybe a couple of drinks.
I'll check out Pyramid on the net and also let my wife read what you've all posted. Thanks for the info!

LASERRAY
06-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Cas
hmmm, flip a coin huh? :D
More than likely it'll be a cruise and float type day, maybe a couple of drinks.
I'll check out Pyramid on the net and also let my wife read what you've all posted. Thanks for the info! In addition to the crappy water conditions at Piru, on the weekends you're more then likely to come across a skiff full of Homies with Raider gear on, packing heat.:yuk: :D

JetBoatRich
06-29-2004, 09:25 PM
Pyramid, will probably be a zoo the first few days:eek!: for the first weekend:mad: I also heard the water looks terrible:yuk:

LASERRAY
06-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Pyramid, will probably be a zoo the first few days:eek!: for the first weekend:mad: I also heard the water looks terrible:yuk: Coldn't be any worse then Piru or Smellsomemore. Went by there last week and the water level looked pretty good.

HOOTER SLED-
06-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Bitchen. I'm off on Friday. Was gonna head to Castaic. May go to Pyramid now. Hey Cas, I'm in Torrance too. Castaic is definetely the closest. One hour on the dot from me. Don't take the 405 though. Pyramid is about 20 min. more North. Castaic isn't that bad, unless you wanna do some speed runs. I think the water gets way more churned up at Castaic. Red cup the beers there too. No alcohol. Weren't you the one into Panthers?????

Cas
06-30-2004, 09:24 AM
thanks for the additional info and yes, I'm the one that is/was into Panthers........I'm always guilty of rooting for the underdog :D
One of my boats right now has a Panther and the other one is a Berk JG, just sold the other Panther powered 21'er.

sizzlingcell
06-30-2004, 09:42 AM
I drove by Pyramid last week and it looked like a moss pit.

JetBoatRich
06-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by sizzlingcell
I drove by Pyramid last week and it looked like a moss pit.
that is what I hear:yuk: water has pretty much been not touched for some time:eek:

HOOTER SLED-
06-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Cas
thanks for the additional info and yes, I'm the one that is/was into Panthers........I'm always guilty of rooting for the underdog :D
One of my boats right now has a Panther and the other one is a Berk JG, just sold the other Panther powered 21'er.
I have a 21' Pantera with the BBC Panther set-up. It's sooooo slow. I'm gonna maybe see if I can get some more out of it by getting some pump work at the end of the season.

wedge44
06-30-2004, 10:43 AM
Sizzling Cell would know what a "Mosh Pit" looks like but not a Moss Pit

Cas
06-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by HOOTER SLED-
I have a 21' Pantera with the BBC Panther set-up. It's sooooo slow. I'm gonna maybe see if I can get some more out of it by getting some pump work at the end of the season.
Let me know if I can help. Not sure if you know about it already but I started a Panther Pump forum on the Laid Back Boaters message boards, just click the link in my sig to get there.