PDA

View Full Version : Rex Marine silencers....

Bryan Rose
06-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Hey Rexone one , What s the dealio here?
When ?
How much?
will we Be legal?
Don't get me wrong here I love the sound of my big block but it sure would be kind of nice to quiet this thing down some, sometimes it does get kind of annoying. Stealth mode would be good....
inquiring minds want to know
Bryan:D

Kindsvater Flat
06-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Bryan Rose
Stealth mode would be good....
I wish mine was Bayliner quiet sometimes.

OutCole'd
06-29-2004, 05:37 PM
I think were just being teased.

Bryan Rose
06-29-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Kindsvater Flat
I wish mine was Bayliner quiet sometimes.
Don't know about bayliner quiet but but quieter would be nice...we can only dream at this point i guess
Bryan

Bryan Rose
06-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Rex must be busy finishing things up with these silencers .... just hope it does not take as long as the catalog.... LOL

Rexone
06-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Bryan Rose
Hey Rexone one , What s the dealio here?
When ? I hope to have tip replacement style product for sale within 1-2 weeks. We are welding now and will polish some next week
How much? Still working on final costing so I can establish this. Pricing will be very competitive. I don't overprice products just because we could get away with it short term. I saw this concept being written about on some other thread. My opinion is that that is poor business philosophy and only invites imatators as mentioned there also.
will we Be legal? Our J2005 testing has shown results in the 84-88 dBA range on a variety of engines ranging up to 750 hp blown applications. Most were 86ish. So yes you should be legal, at least we have not yet come across one that wouldn't be.
Don't get me wrong here I love the sound of my big block but it sure would be kind of nice to quiet this thing down some, sometimes it does get kind of annoying. Stealth mode would be good....
inquiring minds want to know

Essex502
07-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Mike...will you be testing them against the drive-by tests that some states also have on the books besides the J2005 idle test?

Rexone
07-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Mike...will you be testing them against the drive-by tests that some states also have on the books besides the J2005 idle test?
We have not done that test. The general concensus from those who've done alot of noise testing is that if it passes the dock test it will definately pass the drive by. I can tell you they are very quiet underway. I have no problem doing that testing but we've so far not seen the need. Also the specs of that test are very vague and non specific, no specific distance specified, no much of anything specified. Worse case scenario I guess for noise would be close proximity at WOT with twin blower motors.
I also expect (as do others) that LE will utilize the J2005 test at the dock much more than the drive by because its easier and cheaper for them to do so. (They don't have to deploy a boat with mulitple personnel, or chase you down and stop you). Discussion has been they will use the drive by only on boats they suspect are overly loud by earshot (as it always has been basically). Certain locales will undoubtedly administer the test procedures with their own little twists I'm sure. It is still up to local LE how and when they administer what tests as long as the tests they administer are within specs.

Bryan Rose
07-01-2004, 03:00 PM
If I lived out there I would do it in a hurry but I 'm in GA. not CA. so if you need a Ga. beta tester I'm your man.
Bryan
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766DSC01762-med.JPG

CrazyHippy
07-06-2004, 09:44 PM
will they bolt to my 2.5L Merc??
Are they good for more HP??
Can i get them in custom anodized colors??
Will they be listed in the catalog??
Why do i always put 2 question marks??
BJH:D

Rexone
08-05-2004, 02:04 AM
I posted here yesterday but apparently the board reindex or hacker ate it so...
I'm very confident we have the lower power ranges covered and have tested several boats now successfully, 454,s 502.s 496, etc and one 525SC. We're testing a 525 efi this coming week. The high HP stuff we've tested all had blowers so I want to see how the efi big engines perform before I make any claims on them. Also different cam profiles can have big effects on noise level. Large aggressive Hyd rollers for example can be much noisier than stock type milder type cams. We have not tested enough big cammed motors to determine exact noise levels yet on them. I'm confident they will get close to 88 if not achieve it but I just don't know on the big radical cam engines yet.
J2005 spec numbers we've seen on 454's - 496HO's are in the 84.5 to 87 range. The blown deals we tested were right at 88. All without any power loss. Keep in mind this is a tough test... 39" off the transom, 4-5 ft above the water line. A foot variance here can make as much as 2 dBA difference in the reading so a test at 4 foot off the transom for example may give you a false low, based on J2005. It's that sensitive.
Anyway I'm hoping to start shipping sets by the end of next week. Just PM me if interested so I can get you on the list. Our initial run of 70 sets is getting chewed up pretty good (spoken for) and the next 100 are 4-5 weeks away.
The dimensions are 6" od (outside the boat) x 8" long (outside the boat) x 4" hose (hole size). This first model is for "tip replacement" type full time silencers, NOT clamp-on's.
I will try to get some pics in here as soon as the image center works again.
I'm going to be out for a couple days, please bear with me on returning your PM's.

powerplay230
08-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Couple of pictures under Hot Boat section, pretty sweet looking pieces. Guess if you have to have one might as well make it attractive. Rex please add me to that list.
Rick

don johnson
08-05-2004, 06:23 AM
Will weld on be available? I currently have one piece tailpipes coming off my Powerflow Plus's.

Rexone
08-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Will weld on be available? I currently have one piece tailpipes coming off my Powerflow Plus's.
We will have a clamp-on version down the road a bit for 4.5" pipes. Not a cheapo band clamp deal either, a machined stainless HD clamp assy so they "do not" come off (without tools).

DogHouse
08-05-2004, 02:35 PM
We have not tested enough big cammed motors to determine exact noise levels yet on them. I'm confident they will get close to 88 if not achieve it but I just don't know on the big radical cam engines yet.
Mike, thanks for the PM. My buddy Greg just ordered a set for his new Cheetah. It will have a 10:1 598 with a solid roller setup, 256/262@.050, .700 lift. It made about 770hp/780ft-lbs on the dyno, so it hits hard for a pump gas n/a motor. The boat will be done around the end of the month. If you're interested in some sound level readings, let me know and we can try to set something up with you.
-Brian
ps: Anxiously awaiting those "clamp-ons"! :D

Essex502
08-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Take it from one who's seen and heard the new Rex Marine silencers on a box stock HP525 let me tell you they flat WORK! Very impressive in taking a 96 db-A motor down to the legal 88 db-A. And...their pretty damn good looking too.
Congrats, Mike...good job!

dgie
08-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Mike Are these silencers for OT or TT? I have OT Bassets and would like to quiet my boat down a bit.

Rexone
08-16-2004, 11:51 PM
Mike Are these silencers for OT or TT? I have OT Bassets and would like to quiet my boat down a bit.
These are TT "tip replacement" models dgie. Nothing for OT at this time other than the insert type we've had for a long time.
We should be shipping silencers before the end of the week.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-17-2004, 12:18 PM
We've got a set of the new silencers on our boat and I am very impressed not only with the looks of them but also with the fact that they work!

Rexone
08-19-2004, 02:50 AM
We are now shipping silencers. I will try to PM everyone that has inquired but in case I somehow miss you.... just give Bob a call to order or discuss for your application.
909-392-7300
Thanks
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4687
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4688&stc=1