PDA

View Full Version : Whipple oiling setup?

HP350SC
06-30-2004, 09:58 AM
I have seen several boats using the engine oiling system for the blower gearcase. Is this to keep gearscase cooler when spinning the blower faster? I have not noticed exceesive heat and I am using the standard sealed setup with the 85w synthetic with no problems. I kind of like it that way as any gas or water in oil won't contaminate the s/c. Any thoughts?

RACER52
06-30-2004, 10:15 AM
I have talked with Dustin on this recently. He told me that keeping it sealed is better because he does not see any oil contaminates in there and the oil then only needs to be changed anually. Only way your gonna overheat the blower oil is if your air valves are not funtioning and or they pop. I(which I have popped 2) If you dont catch it immediatley your screws are not gonna screw anymore.
HP350=I have leaned it out a little and tested last weekend and the black transom is no more. Couldnt test any peak ###'s due to skiers and boarders everywhere but it felt good. Will take to the lake this weekend and see what she does.
Racer

HP350SC
06-30-2004, 11:14 AM
Racer- AVGAS = no more black transom too:D
Yeah, you looked real rich at Shasta. I am going to straight 100 LL avgas once I pick up a pickup bed mounted fuel tank. Found an 80 gal. tank for $370 and pump/hose/nozzle assy. for $250. Pumps 13 gal. per minute. Using Rock-it Mans tank REALLY spoiled me!
That was my feeling on the s/c oil too, not to mention if something came apart in the motor and sent metal into blower.

HP350SC
06-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by RACER52
I have talked with Dustin on this recently. He told me that keeping it sealed is better because he does not see any oil contaminates in there and the oil then only needs to be changed anually. Only way your gonna overheat the blower oil is if your air valves are not funtioning and or they pop. I(which I have popped 2) If you dont catch it immediatley your screws are not gonna screw anymore.
HP350=I have leaned it out a little and tested last weekend and the black transom is no more. Couldnt test any peak ###'s due to skiers and boarders everywhere but it felt good. Will take to the lake this weekend and see what she does.
Racer
What air valves and why did yours blow? Lots of boost cause that, or oil expansion or sumthin?

HP350SC
06-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Oh you're probably talking about the idle bypass valve. I thought there was a vent or something I haven't noticed.

RACER52
07-01-2004, 09:52 AM
yep the idle air control valves.
UnfortunatleyI think that I bought my Quad with one popped valve and then popped the other trying to do the intial tune. Backfires are not good on our setups.
And 100ll my boat loves it. Just alot of hassle down here to get. I will run this weekend on pump gas and see how she does.
Racer