PDA

View Full Version : Which one?

NorCalCat
06-30-2004, 10:14 AM
I am looking at getting a new pickup. What is your pick? I am looking at all Diesel and super crew. Am going to put a 4-6" lift on it as well. I am looking for the best tow vehicle and want it to be nice inside. Leather, power, etc...
Ford F350
GMC
Dodge
Any input would be great.

mbrown2
06-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
I am looking at getting a new pickup. What is your pick? I am looking at all Diesel and super crew. Am going to put a 4-6" lift on it as well. I am looking for the best tow vehicle and want it to be nice inside. Leather, power, etc...
Ford F350
GMC
Dodge
This will be a fun thread....cause folks are not short on opinions here...
It's personnel preferrence....drive them and pick the one you like...
Chevy has the trans
Ford has the straight axel
Dodge has the engine...
All other stuff is really open for debate...
I chose the Chevy after driving them all....Dodge did not have the room, and the looks did not grow on me enough...
Ford, just not fond of the Superduty looks, and have heard too many issues on the other diesel boards of issues with the 6.0 engine, but do like the current ford I have...Also, did not think the changes to the styling for the 05 model were enough to make me like
Chevy, had the space, loved the duramax with the Ali tranny, loved the room, loved the fit and finish of the LT interior...it will be here in a couple of weeks.
Good luck on your search and try to find an 04 to take advantage of the super deals right now...

goneboatin
06-30-2004, 11:41 AM
What's to decide....Chevy, of course.

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Ford or GMC but no dodges.

sigepmock
06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Mbrown2,
I don't think I've met you but I'm liking you more and more.....:)
I too chose the Chevy for all the reasons Mbrown2 pointed out. I did not go with the diesel and I wish I would have, I'll have to live the 6.0L but the Whipple S/C did make it better but it's still not the diesel.
The solid front axle on the Fords is nice for strength but I liked the ride quality better on the IFS.
I'm sure Kiltroy will have a different felling.
Chris

goneboatin
06-30-2004, 12:23 PM
I don't know what size boat you're pulling, but if you decide not to go the diesel route, check out the Chevy with the Quadrasteer. I wanted the diesel, was all set up to buy the diesel, until I drove the Q-steer. Unfortunately you can't get the Q-steer on the HDs. I thought that I can buy alot of gas for the extra five grand for the Duramax, (that was before gas went up to over $2.25 a gallon), and went with the 2500 crew cab short bed with the Q-steer. Lemme tell you it rocks. Drive into a parking lot with the 4-wheel steer on and pull into a spot and pull out. Do the same thing with it in 2-wheel steer and it feels like you're trying to park an train. If they do offer the Q-steer on the HDs, mine's gone and I'm and I stepping to the 'Max.

NorCalCat
06-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by sigepmock
Mbrown2,
I don't think I've met you but I'm liking you more and more.....:)
I too chose the Chevy for all the reasons Mbrown2 pointed out. I did not go with the diesel and I wish I would have, I'll have to live the 6.0L but the Whipple S/C did make it better but it's still not the diesel.
The solid front axle on the Fords is nice for strength but I liked the ride quality better on the IFS.
I'm sure Kiltroy will have a different felling.
Chris
The Ford seems to have more power, but the Chevy drives nicer. Just wondering what mileage I will get out of it towing. I will be towing a 7000 lb rig. Lots of hills, long up hill grades...

CustomCruiser
06-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by NorCalCat
Ford F350
GMC
Dodge
I have a '04 F350 6.0 PSD with 5 speed TorqShift. 6,500 miles to date and no issues. I test drove the GMC and IMO, the interior is better than Ford and the D-max is quieter than the PS. I was a previous Ford owner and these differences were not enough to make me switch over. The Super Duty is basically a work truck w/leather seats that people lift and pimp. I did an 8" lift on mine and IMO, now rides better than two other lifted GMCs I have driven.
FYI - while comparing the differences between the Ford TorqShift 5 speed and the Allison 5 speed, I found this gear ratio comparison (the TorqShift may get your load rolling quicker):
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/996TorqShift_Gear_Ratios.JPG
Also, I've heard the 05 Super Duty PSD will have an integrated trailer brake controller on the dash and a factory installed exhaust break. NICE!

Jrocket
06-30-2004, 12:49 PM
The 05 Fords are also coil front suspension,instead of leafs.Also keeping the staright axle.Somewhat like the dodges.
My 04 with leafs rides just fine to me.

mbrown2
06-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Do have to admit that Cyclones SuperDuty work truck in the new Offroad (I think that was the mag) mag is pretty much the shiznit...not to tall, just right, fiberglass fenders, sick suspension, and just all around perfect combo of bling...not overdone, and still hella functional...

NorCalCat
06-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Do have to admit that Cyclones SuperDuty work truck in the new Offroad (I think that was the mag) mag is pretty much the shiznit...not to tall, just right, fiberglass fenders, sick suspension, and just all around perfect combo of bling...not overdone, and still hella functional...
???? which one is that?

mbrown2
06-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Can't find a pic of it right now....thought they had a pic of it from the Supercross earlier this year, and it is not shown on Offroad Mag's website...It is a deep blue color...

Flying Tiger
06-30-2004, 04:53 PM
The Chevy/GMC has the roomier cab,, and the Allison Trans.
That's all I needed to decide.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/myalbum/albun42/PB260057.sized.jpg

Wakker
06-30-2004, 10:51 PM
The new Cummins with the manual trans and the optional factory exhaust brake..

Havasubum
07-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
Ford or GMC but no dodges.
i agree with j rocket but i would rather have a ford just my opinion

dirtman
07-01-2004, 07:33 PM
My 2004 Dodge with the cummins pulls my 26 ft fifth wheel (9600 lbs ) with the 15 ft jet boat on behind like it's not there. Still getting 17.5 mpg (US) at 65-70 mph.

roln 20s
07-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey- you getting rid of the Yukon Denali XL? If so- I know someone who may be interested-depending on price and stuff :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1016DCP_1289-med.JPG
Roln 20s

NorCalCat
07-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Hey- you getting rid of the Yukon Denali XL? If so- I know someone who may be interested-depending on price and stuff :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1016DCP_1289-med.JPG
Roln 20s
Na, that is the wifes car. I am looking for get a pick-up for myself. Thanks though.

cc322
07-02-2004, 08:14 PM
The Chevy/GMC has the roomier cab,, and the Allison Trans.
That's all I needed to decide............
No way is the gm roomier than the fords I have friends with both and the chevy guy always says to the ford guy , man I cant get over how much more room you have in your crew cab than mine. I have sat in the Ford and the Chevy and the ford is alot more roomier. I am a ford guy but I will give credit where credit is due, quite simply FORD builds the better truck. At windsor beach look at all the superdutys in the parking lot, thats why they have the #1 bragging rights:D SORRY THATS JUST HOW IT IS:: ;)

goneboatin
07-03-2004, 06:15 AM
Fords do look better lifted and jacked up, but the Chevy is a much better looking truck to start with.
Let pissing contest begin!

Mandelon
07-10-2004, 03:59 PM
I replaced my Ford with a new Chevy.

Jrocket
07-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
I replaced my Ford with a new Chevy.
Sorry to hear that,my condolences to ya..:D

riverbound
07-12-2004, 07:55 AM
I have the Ford 93k miles on it and no problems.

Riverready
07-12-2004, 01:35 PM
I am a Chevy man at heart, but in Feb. when i decided to get a bigger truck I drove everything. I ended up with a F-350 crew cab long bed 4x4, with the V-10. (wanted a used diesal but got a unbulievable deal on a new V-10 and couln't pass it up.) The reason I chose the Ford over Chevy was a couple of things. Way more interior room in the Ford, Straight axle 4x4 and got the torqueshift tranny. (if you go with the Ford pay the $$ for the Torqueshift) I put a 4.5 lift on it, just to make it a little more off-road worthy because it actually see's dirt unlike most lifted trucks. So far its great! Although I have heard they start to shoot plugs around 80,000 miles. But i got 100,000 mile warranty and its a V-10 and your looking at diesals. Oh ya and with the Donahue Racing 4.5 lift it no joke rides better then stock.
Justin :p :p

SeaSlut
07-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Buy a real truck, the dodge with a cummins.
Can't argue with a Getrag trans, unless you don't have a left foot. I don't so I have the auto, no problems. best milage not towing is 24 mpg @55. But beware, all your Ford and Chevy friend will hate you because the Dodges are cheaper to own without the repair bills.