PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Mechanical Fuel Pump Today!

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 10:45 AM
For a BBC
Anyone know where I can buy one right now?
Nobody sells them, they all have to order them.
I called:
Kragen, Pep Boys, Off Road Warehouse etc....
Help

superdave013
06-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Clay Smith Cams, best one made and they will have it in stock right now.

Sleek-Jet
06-30-2004, 10:51 AM
You looking for a stock replacemant or a HP one??

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
Where are they located?

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
You looking for a stock replacemant or a HP one??
I need one to feed a 830 DP for a 454 with peanut heads. I guess a HP one. But I think a stocker would probably work.

Nucking futs
06-30-2004, 10:55 AM
herberts in anaheim has them in stock as well as clay smith.clay smith is in stanton.

Sleek-Jet
06-30-2004, 10:58 AM
If you think a stock one will work, try someplace that sells CarQuest parts, or a Parts Plus store, they usually stock that kind of stuff.

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks guys.
SuperDave, I am picking up a Clay Smith today. I am done with electric fuel pumps. Nothing is worse that a perfectly working boat on the trailer because holley has no quality control......

superdave013
06-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Thanks guys.
SuperDave, I am picking up a Clay Smith today. I am done with electric fuel pumps. Nothing is worse that a perfectly working boat on the trailer because holley has no quality control......
Justin, Talk to Sherry Striegel
Clay Smith Engineering
5870 Dale St.
Buena Park, CA 90621
714 523-0530
Sherry is there right now. I just got off the phone with her.
Hey, also ask her about those sweet fittings she is now stocking. :)

ssmike
06-30-2004, 11:31 AM
J -
Bummer b/c I have a mechanical pump in the box of stuff to give you when you come back up to Hydro country...
Its sitting right next to those headers!!!
:D

Some Kind Of Monster
06-30-2004, 11:33 AM
I have a mechanical that is brand new. If you still need it let me know and I will try to dig it up.

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Justin, Talk to Sherry Striegel
Clay Smith Engineering
5870 Dale St.
Buena Park, CA 90621
714 523-0530
Sherry is there right now. I just got off the phone with her.
Hey, also ask her about those sweet fittings she is now stocking. :)
Already spoke with her. She set the parts aside. I am going to try to get off of work now :D

Fiat48
06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
Find out of it needs a regulator. Nothin like a flooding holley.

superdave013
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Fiat48
It will need one for sure.

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
It does, and I am going to get one.
I spoke with holley about my Holley Blue fuel pump. For those of you that don't know, it just shuts off for no reason after 5 minutes of use, then will work again after it cools down for 5-10 minutes.
I spoke with their quality control spokesperson, they said that a batch of pumps went out with a vane that was too large and would rub in the housing and overheat by drawing excessive amps due to the retrictions. So, like I said, screw holley electric pumps. I don't like when quality control consists of tesing on unwilling participants: THE CUSTOMER.

Fiat48
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
And the real scary part is....Holley took over Lunati. Hope they don't screw that up!
And where is GofastRacer? He should have already been on your ass to go injectors by now. He must be on vacation. :D

jtmarten
06-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Hey 78Eliminator
I've been having the same problem with 2 different red pumps. One I bought rebuilt on Ebay, then bought a brand new one with the same results. Screw Holley on this one! :mad:
Jeff

GofastRacer
06-30-2004, 06:24 PM
It does, and I am going to get one.
I spoke with holley about my Holley Blue fuel pump. For those of you that don't know, it just shuts off for no reason after 5 minutes of use, then will work again after it cools down for 5-10 minutes.
I spoke with their quality control spokesperson, they said that a batch of pumps went out with a vane that was too large and would rub in the housing and overheat by drawing excessive amps due to the retrictions. So, like I said, screw holley electric pumps. I don't like when quality control consists of tesing on unwilling participants: THE CUSTOMER.
Holley Blue's and Red's are junk, get a good mechanical 6 valve pump(Clay Smith, Edelbrock) same pump and put a bypass after the carbs, end of problems!..

GofastRacer
06-30-2004, 06:30 PM
And the real scary part is....Holley took over Lunati. Hope they don't screw that up!
And where is GofastRacer? He should have already been on your ass to go injectors by now. He must be on vacation. :D
Well there goes Lunati!.:mad:
LMAO, I been here just biting my tongue, don't know how much longer I can hold out though!.:D :D :D :D

Fiat48
06-30-2004, 07:22 PM
Dang! I was worried about ya! :D

GofastRacer
06-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Dang! I was worried about ya! :D
:) :D :D :D

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Got it in and I'm ready to go to the river so something else can break :D
I don't have a bypass after the carbs and I can tell that the regulator is trying really hard to keep the pressure under 9lbs. I asked the folks at Clay Smith if it was ok to run it this way and they said it's fine as the pump has an internal bypass. Hope it works and doesn't send my needle/seats into my motor! LOL

Jordy
06-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey, if it does I know a great carb guy in the So Cal area... :rolleyes: :D

78Eliminator
06-30-2004, 09:11 PM
Hahaha. If the pump works out, now I have to get my plugs looking good. I think I am wasting a lot of fuel as they are all pretty dark.........

Fiat48
06-30-2004, 09:26 PM
And Jordy:
What is the report on the wounded cruiser motor?
Might as well Hijack this thread. :D

superdave013
07-01-2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by GofastRacer
Holley Blue's and Red's are junk, get a good mechanical 6 valve pump(Clay Smith, Edelbrock) same pump and put a bypass after the carbs, end of problems!..
The Edelbrock is close to being the same pump. The Clay Smith pump is made in house. If you are ever in the area George would love to show you the little differences between his and the others. The re-build kits are a little different too.
But we all know you like the hilborn 150A pumps anyway! :)

GofastRacer
07-01-2004, 07:37 AM
I have both pumps(in fact I bought mine from George back in the mid 80's and BTW it still works) and I have taken both completely apart, they are the same pump, both are a 6 valve pump and both put out the same volume and pressure. BUT we all know for legal purposes both cannot be identical and I've spotted the difference but it has nothing to do with the performance of the pump!...:)
And you are absolutely right, I prefer the Hilborn 150A or the Enderle 80A much better!..;) :D :D :D

Schiada76
07-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Hey, if it does I know a great carb guy in the So Cal area... :rolleyes: :D
BBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!:D

78Eliminator
07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
And Jordy:
What is the report on the wounded cruiser motor?
Might as well Hijack this thread. :D
Gosh, I hate to drag Jordy though the mud, but I guess I have to.
Jordy, is now the proud owner of two broken down boats. And just in time for the middle of Summer. Sucks, but I feel your pain. This is the first Summer I have had a running boat in several years....
And Jordy, you are always welcome on the Dicso Pimp Boat.

Jordy
07-01-2004, 09:36 AM
I just ordered pistons and rings for the yellow boat. When they get here it's pretty quick to get it running and on the water again.
As far as the 21' I haven't even pulled the engine because I'm in a quandry as to whether I should just tear the whole boat down and fix all the gel coat issues and get rid of the black while I have the engine and tranny out, rather than pulling it out, fixing it, putting it back in only to tear it all down again in a couple months.
Based on the rockers and lifters being cheapo's I'm also kind of afraid of what I'm going to find when I tear into it. :(

78Eliminator
07-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Well, then get old yeller running. Al least you can shoot a big rooster out of the polished water bong hanging off the end. :D ;)

superdave013
07-01-2004, 12:00 PM
I have both pumps(in fact I bought mine from George back in the mid 80's and BTW it still works) and I have taken both completely apart, they are the same pump, both are a 6 valve pump and both put out the same volume and pressure. BUT we all know for legal purposes both cannot be identical and I've spotted the difference but it has nothing to do with the performance of the pump!...:)
And you are absolutely right, I prefer the Hilborn 150A or the Enderle 80A much better!..;) :D :D :D
So when you bought that Edelbrock did you feel like you were cheating on George? lol
I know the Holley rebuild kit is not the same as the one for the Clay Smith pump.

GofastRacer
07-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
So when you bought that Edelbrock did you feel like you were cheating on George? lol
I know the Holley rebuild kit is not the same as the one for the Clay Smith pump.
LMAO, nope I got it new from some dork for $25 because he couldn't figure out how to rotate the bottom so his lines would fit, that's the only reason I got it!.:D :D Figure what the heck, it's good for a spare!..:) .
You're right the Holley kit is not the same!..

Hotcrusader76
07-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Funny thing...
I have two BBC Clay Smith Pumps in stock over here and one BBF. Not to mention the small block stuff as well. Guess I'm a little late in ready the thread.
TPC does stock most Clay Smith fuel system parts, XRP, Product Engineering, and XRP components for anybody and their immediate needs. Just a door-step away.
Note- Injectors are special order;)
~Ty

GofastRacer
07-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Hotcrusader76
~Ty
If you don't mind me asking, what injectors do you handle?..

superdave013
07-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Funny thing...
I have two BBC Clay Smith Pumps in stock over here and one BBF. Not to mention the small block stuff as well. Guess I'm a little late in ready the thread.
TPC does stock most Clay Smith fuel system parts, XRP, Product Engineering, and XRP components for anybody and their immediate needs. Just a door-step away.
~Ty
Ty, I know someone who has those really nice carb fittings that you can even get a wrench on. I know you would love them.
Hey, what do you sell the CS big block chevy pumps for?

lucky
07-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I just ordered pistons and rings for the yellow boat. When they get here it's pretty quick to get it running and on the water again.
As far as the 21' I haven't even pulled the engine because I'm in a quandry as to whether I should just tear the whole boat down and fix all the gel coat issues and get rid of the black while I have the engine and tranny out, rather than pulling it out, fixing it, putting it back in only to tear it all down again in a couple months.
Based on the rockers and lifters being cheapo's I'm also kind of afraid of what I'm going to find when I tear into it. :( BOTH HAVE CRUISERS - BOTH HAD V DRIVE ISSUES - NOW BOTH HAVE MOTTA PROBLEMS - - WHEN I PAINT MINE I'M PAINTING YELLOW - WHAT ABOUT YOU ?

Hotcrusader76
07-02-2004, 01:49 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what injectors do you handle?..
It was an ill-attempt at mocking you freak:D...You'd never catch me with injectors squirt:p :D

GofastRacer
07-02-2004, 06:58 PM
It was an ill-attempt at mocking you freak:D...You'd never catch me with injectors squirt:p :D
ROLMFAO, joke's on you, why do you think I asked that question!..:D :D :D :D

Blown 472
07-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Gosh, I hate to drag Jordy though the mud, but I guess I have to.
Jordy, is now the proud owner of two broken down boats. And just in time for the middle of Summer. Sucks, but I feel your pain. This is the first Summer I have had a running boat in several years....
And Jordy, you are always welcome on the Dicso Pimp Boat.
Had my shitbox out on tha water on wed, 4200 rpm, 87 octane all day and no idea on speed as a sheem kicked out my kick ass rex marine stainless peedo tube.:D

78Eliminator
07-04-2004, 07:50 PM
My shitbox went 4500 rpms and not very fast..........

Fiat48
07-04-2004, 08:19 PM
It was the additional weight of the 6 valve fuel pump. And the fact you didn't have injectors. :D

GofastRacer
07-05-2004, 05:50 AM
It was the additional weight of the 6 valve fuel pump. And the fact you didn't have injectors. :D
LMFAO!..:D :D :D :D

78Eliminator
07-05-2004, 05:13 PM
You fellas are harsh..... :D

Blown 472
07-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Hey, I have the same pump. 4200 rpm and 57 mph hot dog, the fastest floating bar on the river.

GofastRacer
07-05-2004, 06:16 PM
You fellas are harsh..... :D
Oh well!..LMAO!...:D :D :D :D

GofastRacer
07-05-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Hey, I have the same pump. 4200 rpm and 57 mph hot dog, the fastest floating bar on the river.
There ya go!...;) :D

78Eliminator
07-06-2004, 06:54 AM
I will say this, I will NEVER use an electric pump again. Mechanical for the rest of my life. I am really sold on them......

GofastRacer
07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
I will say this, I will NEVER use an electric pump again. Mechanical for the rest of my life. I am really sold on them......
Damn, sure took you long enough!..:) :D :D

Fiat48
07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
I bet you will use an electric pump again.
I use one. :confused:

GofastRacer
07-06-2004, 06:32 PM
I bet you will use an electric pump again.
I use one. :confused:
Well maybe, maybe not, I ain't used one in 20 years!..:D :D

Infomaniac
07-06-2004, 07:02 PM
I use a Holley red to transfer methanol from the gunnel tanks to the "T" tank. :D
Lasted 2 years. A little WD-40 keeps them alive. A brief dunk under water finally did it in.

Fiat48
07-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Primer system to start blown injected motors. Gotcha 78! Never say never. :p

Blown 472
07-06-2004, 07:19 PM
What does it look like and consist of?

superdave013
07-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
What does it look like and consist of?
Mine was the cheepest pump you could buy, kinsler check valve, some -4 line and a button.

78Eliminator
07-06-2004, 09:10 PM
LOL!! I thought I wuz in trouble.....:(