PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

Taylorman
06-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Im looking for ideas on a good fuel pump. Im thinking about adding a small shot of nitrous and want to upgrade my existing mechanical pump to an electric. I want to run one fuel pump for the fuel system and fuel for the nitrous system. I was looking at a Holley Blue or Black pump. Are they ok?

superdave013
06-30-2004, 11:27 AM
I think they suck and will let you down when you need it most. When you hit the button.
But if you want to save short term money I have some blue's I'd let go.
Holley blue's are the worst of the heap for boat use if you ask me.

superdave013
06-30-2004, 11:29 AM
take a look here (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51231)

GM Killer
06-30-2004, 01:10 PM
I hate to go agaist ya SD, but I have run a blue on one of my rides for over 4 years now without a glitch. But I will say it has been the best Holley I have run to date. They do have there share of problems. However, on the "river racer" Im running the BG King enduro. A hell of a pump, but it will cost ya a few bucks.
No matter what kind of electric you are running, keep in mind they are gravity fed, and if your pump is fed from the top of the tank you most likely will have problems.

superdave013
06-30-2004, 01:46 PM
lol, it's ok to not agree.
Funny you bring up the veins in the pump. That's what always got a little gunk on them and made them get stuck.

shaun
06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
I have heard nothing good about the holley electric fuel pumps.
If your going to go electric i've always heard go mallory

Joe B
07-01-2004, 07:18 AM
I just installed the Edelbrock internally regulated pump and so far it is working great. I asked around before buying it and was also told to stay away from the Holley pumps.
joe

waterslinger
07-01-2004, 07:24 AM
We have run Holley's big pump Dominator 500, Berry Grant 400
and Aeromotive. Every one failed early. The BG are just flat out
junk. Coin toss
Have you looked at a big mechanical Holley or Carter

AmericanThunder1
07-01-2004, 07:26 AM
funny this thread was started, yesterday I went out and I was runnin up the river pretty good and my holley blue pump quit so I tapped it with a hammer and it worked fine again the rest of the day. somebody suggested a lead additive in the fuel to lubricate it. does that work?

Taylorman
07-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by AmericanThunder1
somebody suggested a lead additive in the fuel to lubricate it. does that work?
I remember Greg Shoemaker making that suggestion a while back. He suggested marvels mystery oil in the gas.
Originally posted by superdave013
I think they suck and will let you down when you need it most. When you hit the button. But if you want to save short term money I have some blue's I'd let go. Holley blue's are the worst of the heap for boat use if you ask me.
So if i ask you, what is your choice for a good electric pump for a 400-500 hp engine with a little nitrous?

superdave013
07-01-2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Taylorman
I remember Greg Shoemaker making that suggestion a while back. He suggested marvels mystery oil in the gas.
So if i ask you, what is your choice for a good electric pump for a 400-500 hp engine with a little nitrous?
I use Clay Smith Mechanical pumps. Not a big fan of the electric jobbies in wet boats.
Clay Smith Engineering
5870 Dale St.
Buena Park, CA 90621
714 523-0530

AmericanThunder1
07-01-2004, 07:31 PM
Thats right Taylorman Good memory I forgot that. I put some stuff in today called Seafoam. If it dont work I will use that marvel mystery oil.