PDA

View Full Version : New Category/Bracket NJBA Racer Sample

Willis
06-30-2004, 07:15 PM
June 30, 2004
Hello everyone,
I must bring this subject to it’s culmination. All responses to the NJBA Questionnaire, “Sandbagging” issues and “Lake Racer” class will be printed and presented at the next board meeting to support this new class.
http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/, http://www.realjetboats.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl?board=news,
http://www.***boat.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
As a NJBA Board Member, I see the need to change the way we do business. I will present what was discussed on those forms. Please look at the sample category/Bracket to be established.
You clearly siad, “Build it and they will come”, well here it is!
CLASS REQUIREMENTS
Lake Racer
The suggested fees to run this class is $250.00.
Lake Racer are intended to be boats having typical water skiing equipment and appearance.
Internal engine modifications are permitted to enhance competition and reliability. (steel connecting rods, forged pistons, 4340 metal for crankshaft)
GENERAL
1. Seating must accommodate a minimum of four (4) adults. Seats must be fully upholstered.
2. Steering wheel standard off hull center line as manufactured.
3. Boats may have any stock type of nozzle with a functional neutral mechanism that is operational from the driver's seat. (Place diverter and other stock type diverters permitted)
4. Adjustable cavitations plates are permitted.
5. Fuel is restricted to pump gasoline only. Absolutely no modified fuel cells, must be stock type gas tanks used at the lake.
ENGINE
1. Any bore and stroke combination is allowed up to a maximum of 502 cubic inches, with a clean-up hone of a maximum of .005 inches.
2. Spark arresters must be installed in factory condition on the induction system.
3. Aluminum head permitted.
4. No aluminum blocks allowed.
5. Any carburetor configuration up to a maximum of 850 C.F.M. or factory type electronic fuel injection. Absolutely no modifications to the factory carburetor or throttle body are permitted. i.e., any factory casting flash and cadmium plating permitted. Inspection by the Technical Committee will be allowed at their discretion.
6. Lake Racer may run any type of exhaust permitted on local lakes managed by law enforcement. (Muffler, baffles are required)
7. Intake manifold must be cast production or modified production only. No homemade or non-production manifolds allowed.
I need your help to get this class approved and started ASAP! I need your responses by July 7, 2004 on the subject. Please limit your responses to approved or disapproved with reasons.
Keep in mind that the “family boat” is what the new class is appealing to, no surprises!!
Willis

cyclone
06-30-2004, 07:41 PM
the lake racer class wont be that popular when all the guys at the lake with tunnel rams and dual carbs can't compete because they've got more than 850 cfm on top of their motor. That definately needs to be changed.

cyclone
06-30-2004, 07:44 PM
$250 bucks is too much if it's per event. Remember you are trying to attract amateur lake racers. Guys that dont have a ton of cash sunk into racing equipment like the faster classes. so you can't charge them the same fee as the pro level classes. Cut that in half and you'll get more guys to show up.
for some reason i see this turning into another class like ski flat where the guy with the most money wins. I can see a ton of areas to bend in those rules.

Willis
06-30-2004, 07:47 PM
Cas,
Yes, the fees are each time you race.
On the carbs, lets see how its un folds!
Willis

FOURQ
06-30-2004, 07:53 PM
as far as the seating ...i have a back seat i can run and it will fit 2 adults.. but will they try to sit in it caus they wont fit too well...and is a ft nozel ok or not i know lots of pepole have gone to a ftn diverter.. and what is the deal with a tunnel ram ..no more than 850 cfm? i think we should allow the choice of running baffles just my .02
4Q
i think 250 is toooooo much per race..i would go maybe 150

Cs19
06-30-2004, 07:58 PM
I didnt catch that one, I was thinking 2 850 carbs. Its not gonna happen with some of those rules.
Nowadays the average lake racer has an absolute minimum of 600 horse, in reality 700 to 950 where I go to the river is not all that uncommon.
Go out to lost lake or big river and see what lake racers have, you wont even see a guy racing on Sat. night with a 4 seats, one stock carb,mufflers and air cleaners. Thats not really a lake racer, a lake racer is a guy with a 19 cp.daytona,rogers,etc with a hopped up Big block either blown or w/ a tunnel ram w/ 2 big 4 barrels and running anywhere from 85-105 mph.
I just think with those rules your limiting the entries and the class is going to be boring as hell to watch.You should try to target the true performance guys as well as the hotrod skiboats too.
Alot of the rules you have come with are excellent willis, I think your doing a great job here. We all appreciate it.

BrendellaJet
06-30-2004, 08:08 PM
What he said!

Cas
06-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Willis
Cas,
Yes, the fees are each time you race.
On the carbs, lets see how its un folds!
Willis
although I didn't write it, I agree with what cyclone posted.

Willis
06-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Cas,
River Racers are not "Lake Racers"
Remember, we are limiting the fuel to 91 oct. pump gas.
The new guy and not the surprises!
Willis

TIMINATOR
06-30-2004, 08:32 PM
$250.00 per event- no way. $125.00/$150.00 OK? Any serious lake boat has more than a 502 motor. Limit on single 850... see above. Just my opinion, but it IS my money and boat, and I haven't seen any reason to run an event yet. My Stalker radar gun cost about what 4 events cost. I get as many passes as I want. How about a time only run what ya brung and guarentee say 3 passes deal? for $75.00/$100.00 dollars and no purse, just bragging/ tuning? run em between qualifying or when nothing else is going on? There is a LOT of dead time in between things as it stands now. Bores the heck out of the wife,me too. TIMINATOR

HBjet
06-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Hell, my old motor had 2 450 Holleys on it and I guess that wouldn't pass.... I think the rule should be no more then 1700cfm
HBjet

Cas
06-30-2004, 08:46 PM
grudge races were a great fill-in at the old Fremont Drag Strip years ago. No limitations, just go out and run.

BigBoyToys
07-01-2004, 05:04 AM
So my 2-750's on a 468ci wouldn't qualify me to run this "New" class....Hmmmm
How about a cubic inch vs. Carburetion thing. IE; 502ci = 850cfm Max, 496ci = 1000cfm Max, 476 = 1150cfm max and so on

UBFJ #454
07-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Willis -
A couple of few thoughts on This, and the Other Brackets ...
1) I agree with the others that say $250 is Too Much of an Entry Fee for this class ... I'd suggest $100. I'd also suggest that the Entry Fees for the Pro Classes (e.g.: UBFJ, PGJ, ..., etc.) be raised to $300 ... I'd also Waive the requirement of Full NJBA Membership for this Class for those people that don't want to run for the Year's High Points Championship in the Class.
I'd also suggest the Board consider #2, following for Next Year ...
2) a. Have a Fixed NJBA Membership Fee (with Full Voting & Racing Rights plus receipt of a News Letter) and institute an Associate NJBA Membership (No Voting Rights, Racing Rights in Up To 50% of the year's races and receipt of the Newsletter) for something like 1/2 the cost of a Full Membership.
b. Have One Entry Fee (W/Higher PayOut) for the Pro Classes and Vary the Entry Fees (and PayOut) for all Brackets depending on the Bracket's Time ... The slower the bracket, the lower the fee ... Lowest (like the Entry Bracket), say $100 ... to Highest, say $250. Make All Pro Entry Fees $300 with 1/2 Off if a Pro Boat also wants to run in a Bracket. Keep the T&T/Safety Passes @ $25, but, Schedule Them Into The Program and Announce/Call Them as if they were a Bracket ... Put them First, then in between rounds on Saturday and First & Last on Sunday.
c. Allow Nitrous in All Brackets Where Blowers Are Allowed ... Blowers and Nitrous Systems Are Essentially The SAME As They BOTH Simply Deliver More O2 To The Combustion Chambers ... They Just Do It Differently ... Heck, Turbo's Are, and Any Fuel is NOW ALLOWED In The Brackets ... WHY NOT NITROUS???
Maybe the Board should Review Other Association's (SDBA, IHBA, etc.) Entry Fee/PayOut Structures and do something Like Them, But, Better ... Within Budget and Keeping The Same "Laid Back" Attitude, Of Course.
The "Attitude" of NJBA'ers is why we like racing with you'all so much.
Just Some Thoughts ...
It was good meeting and talking with you last race ... see you in September.
Jak

flat broke
07-01-2004, 07:24 AM
approved in concept, but I have some issues with the particulars...
I like Bear's idea posted under 2a and 2b his above post. But let me get this straight, you don't have enough newbie turnout at $75/race and you wanted to up the fee to $250? Unless that was including safety gear rental thats definitely going in the wrong direction.
In regard to safety gear rental, I say its going to be one of if not the BIG issue for the class's viability. Most guys can scrape enough $$ to get out there and run for a weekend, but when you throw $1000 of safety gear in front of them as a requirement, it changes the complexion of the weekend substantially. I want the safety gear to be required, no doubt about that, but there needs to be a way for the average guy who may only do this 1x or 2x times (at least thats what he thinks before he goes out for the first time) to access the required safety equipment cheaply. Everyone here has great ideas on how to run such a program so once the NJBA decides its something that they want to get involved with, or would work with Lifeline or SRP to get one of them behind it, we can discuss that in further detail.
Now onto the tech aspect.
850cfm is horesh*t. I wanted to run my spectra (20' daycruiser) at the drags, but I'll be at 1700cfm with the new motor. I'm good on the CI requirement, but don't run baffels in my through the transom headers cause they exit under the waterline. You've definitely got to do something about the CFM requirements as most guys that are running in 90s are going to be excluded.
Also what about forced induction and NOS? Plenty of guys that run the lakes have one or the other and have never been to the drags... would these guys get to play too?
Last clarification I can think of is the "pump gas" rule Does this mean gasoline that can be bought at a gas station, or does it mean an octane cap of 91-92? Lots of guys that run down on the lower river run AV gas in their boats. A lot of them would be exluded if the octane requirement was cut to 91-92. I know there have to be some exclusions to level the playing field. I'm just throwing out issues that may come to light for guys that haven't seen the thread or would like to run but don't visit the boards much.
All in all, thanks for taking the initiative to come here and check to see what those of us who have been on the fence about running our boats would like to see. A lot of times its those of us that are a little bit removed from the competition and political scene of the NJBA that can provide a different/better perspective that what the NJBA currently sees.
Chris

cyclone
07-01-2004, 08:06 AM
Willis- everything these guys are posting needs to be addressed. These are the guys who are likely to come out and run their boats should the fees not be prohibitive.
I'll say it again. The easiest way to attract the most amateur racers would be to go ahead and make a lake racer class but make it a non-competitive deal. Any kind of boat, any size motor, any type of induction.
1. charge $100.00 per event
2. Rent a complete safety gear outfit for $75.00 per event
3. Boat must pass tech inspection (throttle return spring, rope deflector, ignition kill switch, ratcheting device for boats running over 100 mph etc.)
No baffles, no flame arrestors, nothing that will keep the NJBA from attracting the maximum number of players at each event.
Then if the NJBA wants to make an amateur competitive class I'd listen to what these guys are saying about not restricting carb size, engine size etc.
I think putting a cap on the octane level will help classify the boats.
Then split the class up into naturally aspirated, forced induction and nitrous brackets.
:)

superdave013
07-01-2004, 08:29 AM
The 4 seat thing will be a problem. Most flatbottoms have 2 buckets. So does CS19's jet.
I like the pump gas idea but how would they check? Pump gas fails the fuel check they have now.

Jet Hydro
07-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Most lake racers here (as Willis calls them ) Will run 90 to 100mph and most all of them don't have Spark Arresters and run 2-600`s carbs or larger. I don't know what kind of lake racers you all have out there but those rules would cut the field down to about 2 boats here in central Kansas.
If I were a board member I`d say something like any boat that cant run 13`s no matter what they had for a motor or fuel would be in the lake racer class. Most 65mph jet`s will run the 1/4 in 14`s
It`s not a hard thing to figure out. I also feel the #1 reason you cant get Lake guy`s to the races is the entry fee`s. If you want the lake guy`s to join up you better be thinking in the lines of $50 to $75 max on the entry fee. You`v got to remember that these guy`s are not use to spending that much money on a weekend at the lake.

cyclone
07-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
Most lake racers here (as Willis calls them ) Will run 90 to 100mph and most all of them don't have Spark Arresters and run 2-600`s carbs or larger. I don't know what kind of lake racers you all have out there but those rules would cut the field down to about 2 boats here in central Kansas.
If I were a board member I`d say something like any boat that cant run 13`s no matter what they had for a motor or fuel would be in the lake racer class. Most 65mph jet`s will run the 1/4 in 14`s
It`s not a hard thing to figure out. I also feel the #1 reason you cant get Lake guy`s to the races is the entry fee`s. If you want the lake guy`s to join up you better be thinking in the lines of $50 to $75 max on the entry fee. You`v got to remember that these guy`s are not use to spending that much money on a weekend at the lake.
yeah. what he said.:D

LakesOnly
07-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Any Bore & Stroke but only 91 pump gas?
502 and only 850 cfm? And on 91 pump gas?
Aluminum heads permitted but two four BBL's are not?
The contraditions in the rules are as blatant as the oxymoron, "Lake Racer."
Personally, I don't care which way this is amended, meaning add the 2x4 tunnel rams and fuel blending or drop the aluminum heads and stroker deal so as to make more of an oem spec '70's jetboat class. (Actually, I think you should do the latter; those of us with T/R's and aluminum heads should just step up to the next class.)
LO

LakesOnly
07-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Keep in mind that the "family boat" is what the new class is appealing to, no surprises!!
So the family boat guy comes to enter his boat: Surprise! $250!
Then let the person with the family boat satisfy his curiosty about racing with a one-season only "Lake Boat" entry fee of $100 per race. If he is bitten by the bug, then he must step up the following season. You will attract more 1976 Tahiti entries w/454's or 460's for $100 than you ever would at $250.
LO

Cas
07-01-2004, 11:48 AM
this might be a bad idea do to costs involved in the lights but what about the entry level class have 1000' races? Doing so could speed up the process, races are over faster. Heck, I might consider running a Panther :D
How about a stock class?
Adding classes/brackets for us slow guys would reduce the embarrassment factor.
Lots of ideas to ponder over. Seems to me not only do you want quality but you need quantity. Getting 50 additional boats at $100.00 each is a lot better than 10 boats at $250.00.
I dunno, I'm not a racer and never have been so I might be blowing smoke here?

bp
07-01-2004, 01:01 PM
I’ll add my 2 cents.
I do not perceive anyone asking for a new class.
what I am seeing is a request to expand the current river racer program, so that people can make laps without entering formal competition (i.e., brackets or classes), for as many events as they want. get used to their boat, get used to the program, get used to running ¼, etc. a new class doesn’t really solve anything because you already have more classes for competition than any other organization in the country, and we already have the “get acquainted” river racer program that can be expanded to provide what is being asked for.
then, this all boils down to cost. and more directly, if we’re only talking registration fees, cost per lap. from a cost perspective, the current river racer program costs 75.00 for 4 laps, 2 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. this is approximately 18.75 per lap. since this is supposed to be a one time only get acquainted offer, I think it’s great. but, if people only want to run t&t every month, for as many races as they want, the I have some concerns.
njba has had what is called a step up program for many years. if you enter a bracket for the base registration fee (now 250.00), you can also enter a class for an additional 120.00. for that, the racer gets two bracket qualifying laps, and two class qualifying laps on Saturday, and single elimination laps in both bracket/class on Sunday. this can equate to anywhere from 30.00 to 60.00 per lap, depending on how many boats there are in competition, and how far a person advances in competition. when there is time available on a race weeknd for safety passes (which are considered in addition to..), the cost is 25.00.
So, I would suggest:
1. the current river racer program will be expanded to allow new participants (or NJBA members with new or upgraded boats) entry. All new boats must pass technical inspection, and all safety requirements for the type of boat entered will apply as required by the race committee:
a. First time participant, first race, $100.00 – 4 passes, or $150.00 – 6 passes.
b. Second race, $100.00-4 passes, or $150.00 – 6 passes.
2. after entering two events in the river racer category, the new participant will be required to become a full member of the NJBA to continue to participate.
3. the new NJBA member may continue in the river racer program during subsequent events at the cost noted above, until that point in which the new member enters COMPETITION. upon entering competition, the new member is required to comply with all rules applicable to competitive racing events.
4. NJBA members may enter the river racer category at the same cost as noted above, in the event:
a. their boats have been significantly upgraded such that they wish to conduct testing prior to entering the boat into competition, or
b. they have a new boat that that requires testing prior to entering competition. This is offered as an alternative to entering competition the first time the boat is on the water.
5. Once the upgraded, or new boat is entered into competition, it will no longer be accepted for entry into the river racer program.
In addition, we need to do a much better job of providing an orientation for new participants. I’d volunteer to do this as long as I don’t get yelled at by jones for being late for first round qualifying.

Jetboatguru
07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
I started racing in 91 with NJBA and it was filled with boats, all kinds of boats in the brackets. The cost of fuel was low and the econmy was way better than nowadays. Back then you had mph brackets which were a gross advantage to the jets.
The problem you have now is there are too many brackets and sandbagging is not allowed. You need to have a bracket going all the way to 14 seconds in 1 second increments and allow sandbagging. Start with the 7 second class and go 8,9,10,11,12,13. This gives people a chance to run. It is more affordable to slow down into a bracket i.e sandbagging than it is to have to step on it and run the number. There is no advantage or disadvantage to sandbagging 8 seconds is 8 seconds 9 seconds is 9 seconds etc etc. Leave the pro classes to whomever wants to step up and go full tilt.
Charge the brackets 200 and give them 3 rounds of Qualifying while the Pro boats get 2. Do not allow them to run a pro class and a category.
Keep it simple. Do a 1 time membership that allows you to run 2 races per year. (I know that sounds funny)
As far as the pro classes go this is another story.

Willis
07-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Hello everyone,
What I'm going to do is bring all the comments and valid suggestions to the NJBA Board meeting July 13, 2004 and present them with the suggestions the general public made.
The questionnaire will get the members comments and suggestions.
The New class/Bracket may not fly! Adjustments to and existing category/bracket may get adjusted to reflect as many changes as required to keep attendance and racing.
As for publication of the races and dates, I have prepared a form letter to 13 auto parts and boat dealer venders in the Bakersfield area asking them to post a flyer on their counter tops so the customers will have that discount coupon. Each vendor will receive 200 flyers I in tend to print and distribute.
I’m trying to take some new ideas to the governing body so we can meet the racers needs as best as we can and remain solvent.
Willis

LakesOnly
07-01-2004, 07:39 PM
http://a2.cpimg.com/image/8A/04/35862922-93b3-00B90110-.jpg
WHATCH YOU TALKIN' 'BOUT WILLIS?
:D
LO

GlastronGuy
07-01-2004, 08:17 PM
June 30, 2004
5. Absolutely no modifications to the factory carburetor or throttle body are permitted. i.e., any factory casting flash and cadmium plating permitted. Inspection by the Technical Committee will be allowed at their discretion.
Willis
I took the choke out of my Q Jet. I guess that eliminates me.

Fiat48
07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
I think Jetboatguru has it pretty well nailed for what the bracket classes need.

Cas
07-01-2004, 08:30 PM
is there anyone on the committee looking for additional sponsors?

LVjetboy
07-01-2004, 10:20 PM
"The New class/Bracket may not fly! I’m trying to take some new ideas to the governing body so we can meet the racers needs as best as we can and remain solvent."
I'm no racer so my opinion on this topic questionable. But, remaining solvent sounds like a serious issue to me. As in time for new leadership, backbone or maybe even radical new ideas? Or not. There's always justification for the status quo.
jer

roostwear
07-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Fiat48
I think Jetboatguru has it pretty well nailed for what the bracket classes need.
He does.... but changing existing classes/brackets does nothing to get new blood out to try it. Is it assumed that everyone that wants to run their boat is interested in racing? Speaking only for myself, I'd love to run my boat. Will I race? No. I don't have a boat suited for racing. Hell, it doesn't even do 70! Would I bring it out a few times (and help feed the coffers) just to make a few passes? Hell yes! If my next boat is better suited, and I've had a good time running my barge in the past, I might consider racing. The hurdle here is getting people OUT to even try it. It sure as hell won't happen at $250 a pop, or tying a membership in to it. It might be that I'm not the person the NJBA is trying to get to come out. I don't have a tunnel ram with dual 850s..... bummer is, I wouldn't qualify because I use a Proform carb body on the 4150! I guess they need to define exactly WHO they want, and what they're running. Good Luck!

Skihag
07-02-2004, 01:04 PM
I was a board member of NJBA for many years in the early 90's.
I just wanted to share my opinion for whatever it is worth.
Racing is an expensive sport. You have to do it for the love of the sport, not the "prize money" or lack of it. The entry fees really haven't gone up that much over the years. The entry fees are what pays the cost of putting on the race, the insurances, the prize monies, etc... There's no one getting rich off your entry fee. It is not cheap to put on a race, Do you have any idea how much it costs? All the board members are volunteers. There has always been an abundance of people who say "you should do this, you should do that" but there are very few who actually jump in and say "what can I do to help?". Lake Ming has been the only consistent location who will allow the race to happen. It is a great race course, the weather USUALLY cooperates. It is close for some, but not for others. Jerry Hicks has been traveling from Sioux City, Iowa as long as I can remember, and he rarely misses a race. It isn't that easy to secure a race site. We tried Chowchilla but it was always too windy to have a successful event, and the "powers that be" who set the fees and the insurance requirements made it much to expensive to continue to consider. (remember, it is LA county).
The club can't just say "Hey, I think we'll try Irvine Lake this event" and show up there at will. The cost, and the politics, of securing another potential race site is way to overwhelming to a volunteer who has a day job. If these people were to be paid, the entry fee would be an awful lot more than it is now. NJBA doesn't just cater to jet boats. The name NJBA has been around for over 40 years and the club continues on. The past, and present board members are always looking for a way to improve the club. How many other clubs have been around that long. It is a club for the racer. No, they don't cater to the spectator, why should they? Most spectators are not interested in seeing the novice run his 60 MPH jet boat down the liquid quarter mile. The un-involved spectator usually wants to see a good crash for their money. Many of the racers are still to this day some of my best friends in the whole world. We still race, we vacation together, we have dinner...... I have seen way too many of my very good friends be injured or killed at the race track and I don't like it. IHBA caters to the spectator. They don't care if the little newbie racer gets to make his pass or not and the entry fees are an awful lot more than NJBA. My hat is off to the continued efforts of todays NJBA board members and the request for suggestions from this forum to make the club even better. I am one, who after 20 years of some type of participation with NJBA, just want to say thank you for all the good times, great memories, and the greatest group of lifetime friends around. This club goes way beyond an entry fee.

Skihag
07-02-2004, 01:10 PM
oops, my typo there. I meant we tried Castaic, the Chowchilla race went well. Castaic was too expensive and too windy.
Sorry

roostwear
07-02-2004, 02:41 PM
I have no doubt you know what you are talking about. I responded with the intent of the original post/thread in mind.
"What do people feel is keeping them from entering a race at an NJBA event as I am sure they would like to hear any and all questions, concerns, gripes etc. that would be possibly keeping them from entering.
Thanks"
I'm obviously not the demographic NJBA is after. I guess what would worry me most about the current situation (as I know it) is that in every sport there is natural attrition. Either age, a change in financial situation, etc. There will also be a normal influx to the sport. The other factors you mentioned (insurance, politics, etc) will undoubtedly cost more in the future, so will the increase be offset by higher fees, or volume? If the influx is greater than the attrition, the volume will help offset increases. If not, the logical conclusion would be to increase fees. I guess the great unknown is how many can afford to stay in the sport with an even higher cost. If the increase accelerates attrition, a viscious circle is created.
I'll be the first to admit I don't know the answer. You guys are racers, I am not. With your knowledge of the situation, I'm sure this is not news, just throwing it out there.
Just my .02, nothing more.

Squirtin Thunder
07-02-2004, 03:16 PM
Like always the thaughts of many are overlooked by the FEW !!!!
WTF !!!!!!!!!!!!

wing-n-it
07-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Mike,
You ARE the demographic NJBA is looking for. It starts with you. Then you get the bug, you meet new people to learn from, and who can learn from you, you decide if you want to stay where you're at, or go faster, and then 20 years go by and you're the next top alcohol hydro racer. All the suggestions on this board are good ones, I'm just speaking from experience and involvement that it's really hard pleasing everyone. Brackets used to be MPH and it was voted to change to ET. Sandbagging was never allowed because the majority never wanted it, maybe that is about to change. I think the lifeline rental program is an excellent idea, a run what you brung (as long as it's safe) class at a reduced fee is good. There have always been some very dedicated members who really put in a lot of effort to help the racer. I think that's what this whole thread is all about. Spectators or not, the racer is the one supporting the club, and the racer deserves to be able to run his/her boat. I don't know how it is now but in the past, NJBA never received any of the gate money, that always went to KCBC for their assistance in putting on the race.

Squirtin Thunder
07-02-2004, 05:33 PM
You need to have 2 new classes
Lake Racer up to 502 & 850cfm
River Racer up to 572 & 1500cfm
Above classes must run pump gas & mufflers and have seating for 4.

Jetboatguru
07-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Debbie,
That was well said. I believ that NJBA has it's own place in Boat racing. It is the best entry level club around. But it is dying and we need to figure out why. Hopefully these surveys and questionaires online will help answer these questions.
Tony

bp
07-03-2004, 10:26 AM
jbg, i also agree. except that wasn't debbie; it was crower..;)

uclahater
07-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Lets face it the people that go to the races are either friends or family of the racers:) The more people you get to race, the more fans you will have out there:cool:
The fan only types are really only interested in the Pro categories and are board to death watching a 14 second class, but would rather watch that than stare at the water.
What about combining some circle boats with the drags. I know Jeff Wooton is really trying to get the Pro Stock class going again and Jeff Hart is trying to get the K- Class going
I think Cyclones time slip Idea is great. Look how many people show up to an NHRA event just to run a 1/8 Mile.
IM a Nobody so just my .02
Jim