PDA

View Full Version : 455 Exhaust crossovers ?

JT2Fast4U
06-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Hi... I was hoping that I could get some information from you guys concerning the exhaust crossovers on the 455 motor. I have been reading conflicting things about these. That they should be "plugged", & some say they shouldn't be "plugged". What are your opinions on this? I purchased the Mr. Gasket "ultra-seal" intake gaskets (part #5846) & they say (on the gasket package) that if you have the crossovers, that you need to cut out the gaskets for these crossover ports. So I'm kind of up in the air about what to do. Any help would be appreciated. I also had one other question, whats the best sealer to use with these gaskets, & do you use the end gaskets, or do you use just sealer instead of the end gaskets? The 455 is in a 1973 Challenge jetboat, with "K" heads & an Edelbrock Torker-455 aluminum manifold. The motor is basically stock except for the intake. Thanks again for any help you can give me. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.. JT2Fast4u

kp216
07-01-2004, 05:35 AM
I'm using the ultra seal gaskets as well with an Edelbrock Performer intake on my 403. The intake has the openings for the EGR, but I'm not using the EGR. I had my machine shop fill in the ports on the intake manifold. Then before I reinstalled the intake, I used stainless steel heat shield shim material to cover the EGR ports on the heads. We'll have to see how this holds up because I only made it about half of last summer (when I wasn't using the heat shield) before the intake gaskets burned out.
If I was going to keep this motor, I would have the EGR ports in the heads filled with aluminum. There's no reason to have that heat going up to the intake manifold.
As far as sealer goes, I used a little gasket tack on the ends to hold them in place while I bolted the intake down. Don't use the rubber end pieces. Go with a a good thick bead of sealer.
Also, you probably already know this, but don't use the turkey tray with your aluminum manifold.

Joe B
07-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Edelbrock makes the plugs for these #2733. So far I have not had a problem, but if my gasket burns out I will install these plugs.
joe

Joe B
07-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Edelbrock makes the plugs for these #2733. So far I have not had a problem, but if my gasket burns out I will install these plugs.
joe

572Daytona
07-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Edelbrock says that the must be installed for marine applications, here is the quote from the install manual:
• MODIFICATION FOR RACE ONLY—Boat and Competition Applications-Any implied or expressed warranty is void unless
the “Special Exhaust Plugs” are used with your engine. These steel plugs are furnished with each Torker 455 manifold and
must be installed in the exhaust crossover port in each head. Use a file to finish and fit the plugs until they are a light drive fit,
and with a small hammer, tap them into each head until they are flush or a vacuum leak may occur. Extra plugs may be purchased
from your local Edelbrock dealer under Edelbrock #2733.
I was told by them when I bought my manifold many years ago that due to the high rpm's that you run in marine applications you run the risk of melting the alum manifold from excessive heat if you don't.
Here is the link to the install manual if you want to see it:
Torker Install Manual (http://edelbrock.r-catalog.com/ImgVD/EDE/2730Inst.pdf)

Mark Sims
07-01-2004, 02:40 PM
The plugs that you fit into the crossover will rattle loose over time. Melt a piston and pour into the head through the intake side of the crossover. Stick an old valve in the guide first and blend with a porting tool. My heads were done 9 years ago, no problems.Any other way is like pissin in the wind.

Mark Sims
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Oh yea, I have the plugs that came with my Torker if someone wants to buy them.

GlastronGuy
07-01-2004, 05:39 PM
If you are going to run an aluminum manifold, you have to plug them.

calperf19
07-01-2004, 05:58 PM
The only real way to do it is to brase them shut that's what mondello did to mine when I had the olds. But I know of people using aluminum foil in them also. They took a hammer/ punch and a box of foil and kept adding it until they could'nt get anymore into it. They actually never had a problem with that either. I know it sounds ghetto but it worked for them.
Later BK

JT2Fast4U
07-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks all for your opinions & suggestions, it's really appreciated. After thinking about this, I decided to get the "plugs" from Edelbrock(part #2733), but after recieving them, they don't even come close to fitting in the heads. I spent half the day grinding & filing on these things & I still don't have a "good" fit yet, & I have probably filed 15-20% of the material off the plug already. Is it imperitive that these things fit "perfect"? Is there any chance of these loosening up and/or rattling around in there?
I only pulled the manifold because I made the stupid mistake of dropping a washer down the choke plate hole in the manifold (was putting a new cover plate over it) & actually found it (washer) in the exhaust log. But anyway, it didn't have the cross-over ports plugged originally & I haven't had a problem with it like that for more then a year. Are there any others out there that don't have them plugged? Or has anyone just covered the ports with the gaskets without any problems? I mainly just want to get a quick fix that will last thru the season & then do a "permanent" fix in the off season. Out here in the desert, you don't get many good boating days a year, so I want to try & enjoy them while I can. Sorry for the long post, but just tryin to explain my situation. Thanks again for all the help I have recieve from this post & many others that I have read. This is a great place of learning. Thanks again... JT2Fast4u

Sleek26
07-02-2004, 11:33 PM
I know this is going to sound Micky Mouse but, I wonder how JB Weld would do?? I have never used it myself for anything but, I've heard quite a few stories about the stuff being incredibly good. Any opinions??

seho
07-03-2004, 07:56 AM
Gaskets will burn thru fairly quickly. I took some .020 steel shim cut to fit, bent each corner to dig into the intake gasket and hammered it down on the head side of the gasket. So far so good, no intake leaks. Of course the RIGHT way is to fill the head but I was pretty lazy with this old beater engine.