PDA

View Full Version : HTM Crash

OOfatso
07-04-2002, 01:49 PM
I know that this is still a touchy area for a lot of people but I was wondering if there has been anything else found as a possible reson for the crash? I dont own a HTM but I still get asked by a lot of people when they see my "HTM Memorial Sticker" on my truck window. Thanks ahead of time for any info.
OOfatso

24ROD
07-04-2002, 03:01 PM
OOfatso; Man give it a break! I imagine that all of the HTM family are tired of this being brought up. They have a reminder each and every day that the people they love are not around. just my 2 cents.

OOfatso
07-04-2002, 03:07 PM
No-Problem,
I will respect that.. I am outta here, PLease no more replys, I dont want to stir any crap up again...

Hermosa
07-05-2002, 09:24 AM
OOfatso, you are just looking for info, nothing wrong with that. If people don't want to talk about it, they shouldn't reply....right 24ROD? Thre are plenty of other posts you can look at and participate with. My 4 cents...

24ROD
07-05-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Hermosa:
OOfatso, you are just looking for info, nothing wrong with that. If people don't want to talk about it, they shouldn't reply....right 24ROD? Thre are plenty of other posts you can look at and participate with. My 4 cents...
Hey Hermosa;
1. When I want your opinion I'll let you know.
2. Who are you OOfatso's Mom?
3. Whatever http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Hermosa
07-05-2002, 10:10 AM
24Rod, you are such a tea bag...

24ROD
07-05-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Hermosa:
24Rod, you are such a tea bag...
Hermosa;
Obviously you are Smoking Pole.

Jrocket
07-05-2002, 04:03 PM
OOfatso,Hermosa....I didnt see any problem with the question that was asked.I think alot of people would like to know what the cause of the accident was but just dont want to ask.OOfatso just stepped up and asked,it was a simple question.Nothing to get bent out of shape about..JR

Charley
07-05-2002, 04:28 PM
I agree Rod Lighten up.....

nelson b
07-05-2002, 07:57 PM
OOfatso I personlly don't think there is anything wrong with the question that you asked. Everyone wants to know what happen and know one knows or know one is talking. If someone does know what happen I would like to know. My 2cents.

WetWillie
07-05-2002, 08:28 PM
I agree as well. I have been wondering this for a while and hoped someone would shed some light!
Wet

HUFFPOWER
07-06-2002, 01:39 AM
if no one wants to talk about a crash,any kind,car,boat,train or airplane then no one learns.while the human side is tragic,think of all the safety advances that have been made since the first plane flew to what you drive in,the racing world has provided some of the most advanced safety knowledge.so don't be mad for the question,if the crash had been intentional it would be a different story.

DogHouse
07-06-2002, 04:15 PM
I agree, it is a fair question. I've been hoping that the investigation would determine how/when the damage occurred on the hull, i.e. if it came apart before or after the crash. Seemed like a awful lot of damage from a simple roll over. We'll probably never know for sure. Of course the main hope is that the families are healing and moving on. Looking on the up side, at least safety has become an issue much more on the forefront of many people's minds after the accident.
-brian

Thunderbutt
07-07-2002, 07:41 AM
24Rod, If you were in the market to buy a Cat boat ( especially HTM ) would you want to know what happened. You can bet the people over at HTM are answering a lot of questions. Don't be misinformed, it might happen to you. Originally posted by 24ROD:
OOfatso; Man give it a break! I imagine that all of the HTM family are tired of this being brought up. They have a reminder each and every day that the people they love are not around. just my 2 cents.

Tinkerboater
07-07-2002, 08:48 AM
The only thing wrong with the question was RODS response. It is comments like that that cause problems.

Screaming Pete
07-08-2002, 01:47 PM
has any one heard that Teague maybe buying HTM?
Screaming Pete

HTM Lady
07-08-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete:
has any one heard that Teague maybe buying HTM?
Screaming Pete
When did you hear this? Better yet from who? Just wondering if its factual or someone starting rumors. Im not saying you personnally.

Screaming Pete
07-08-2002, 02:43 PM
HTM Lady, I was just a conversaion on the sandbar this weekend down at Martinez, someone said we don't see any HTM's down this far on the river and some one else said they heard that Teague might be buying HTM but none of the people that i boat with are tight with any manufactures just boat owners no harm ment just conversation
Screaming Pete

HTM Lady
07-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Screaming Pete:
HTM Lady, I was just a conversaion on the sandbar this weekend down at Martinez, someone said we don't see any HTM's down this far on the river and some one else said they heard that Teague might be buying HTM but none of the people that i boat with are tight with any manufactures just boat owners no harm ment just conversation
Screaming Pete
No harm taken. didnt mean the question like that. Just wondering if it was someone blowing smoke. I'll call Lia or Bob and find out first hand.

OOfatso
07-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Kinda afraid to write anything, 24Rod might stomp on me Again! All I was trying to do is make sure when peole see the sticker in my truck window and they ask what happened I aint feeding them bullsh*t.
OOfatso

24ROD
07-08-2002, 04:03 PM
OOfatso; 24ROD Offers a sincere apollogy. I guess I must have been having a bad day. This opollogy goes to anyone else that got offended here due to my comments.
[This message has been edited by 24ROD (edited July 08, 2002).]

OOfatso
07-08-2002, 04:17 PM
No Problem.. I understand.. I have had a few of those days myself.
OOfatso

WetWillie
07-08-2002, 07:39 PM
Rod, Glad to hear your having a better day. Well Done!
Wett

locogringo
07-08-2002, 10:41 PM
It takes a man to be a man and that first post from Rod wasn't like his normal ones.
Everyone is entitled to a bad day here and there. No harm done, just a little bit more of a touchy subject for some than others.
PEACE! http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/ups/majs/bigcrowd.gif

OOfatso
07-09-2002, 05:03 AM
I knew when I ask the question that it was going to be a toss up on what way it would go,(Good Straight Up info, or just more Sh*t talking)We all have made mistakes in our lives and there has been a few Goof-ups that should have taken ME off of this Earth, I guess it just wasn't my time to leave...but never the less, I thought that this site would have the straight up info, other than someone at the Sandbar or in the channel,just assuming they new what the real story was. The bottom line is that we all lost someone that day and even if I dont own a HTM, kind of feel like we are ALL in this big family of Boating! What I was tired of, was watching the media try to play it up for the ratings or to see who could stir up the most Crap about Boating, and how fast Boats go now days...we all take risks everyday, doing things we like and even thing's we dont like...Driving to work, and we all know someone who has been killed on there way to work or at work! Like I said, just trying to get the real story... not to blame anyone or anything... just to know what realy happened...
OOfatso

PACKINAIR
07-12-2002, 07:46 PM
Not being a regular poster here I think it is a good question. someof us with fast cats might learn something and it might prevent another tragic event.

Thunderbutt
07-13-2002, 04:31 PM
I rest my case. Originally posted by PACKINAIR:
Not being a regular poster here I think it is a good question. someof us with fast cats might learn something and it might prevent another tragic event.

dorC
07-15-2002, 09:51 AM
Ok, this information is second hand. Actually, it's really just a rumor. Please take it as is-it may or may not be correct.
The version that I heard was that the drive was found before the boat with part of the gimble assembly still attached to it. The theory was that the gimble failed because it was stressed way beyond it's design limits (ie too much hp) resulting in the loss of control.

OOfatso
07-15-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by dorC:
Ok, this information is second hand. Actually, it's really just a rumor. Please take it as is-it may or may not be correct.
The version that I heard was that the drive was found before the boat with part of the gimble assembly still attached to it. The theory was that the gimble failed because it was stressed way beyond it's design limits (ie too much hp) resulting in the loss of control.
I saw the pictures in the news paper of the Engine that they brought up from the bottom of the lake...Does anyone know what size or horsepower they were?
OOfatso

Essex502
07-16-2002, 04:40 PM
I think this sucks:
http://www.santaclarita.dailynews.com/news/articles/0702/16/sac02.asp
The guys who died would never have wanted this to happen.

OOfatso
07-16-2002, 04:49 PM
OOOOHHHHHHHHHH Sh*t.... here we go! And I bet the concerned Lawyer, looking out for the family, isnt charging a thing... Ya right!
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/mad.gif
OOfatso

OOfatso
07-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Sh*T Sh*t Sh*t this is going to open a whole can of worms!!!!!!!!!!!
OOfatso

SK48
07-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Check out the name of the attorney Jonathan Cole. Isn't that the same attorney who has several 120 M.P.H. Hallett ski race boats,
" Judgement Day " etc. Only an attorney would want to profit from something that will have a negative effect on his own sport.
I wonder what the ski racing community will think of this. None of the guys from HTM would want this.
I better stop because this really p**ses me off.

future boater
07-18-2002, 11:35 AM
no wonder why things are the way they are at castaic.

Robbie Racer
07-19-2002, 07:06 PM
People that try to benefit financially from a tragedy like this make me sick.
On another note I heard this week from a guy that built a blown 540 for a HTM customer that his customer almost crashed the boat because of a gimble failure. Luckily he was only going about 70 mph when it happened and it made a violent move and slammed passengers into other passengers and everyone got very wet but it did not roll or crash. He said the only thing holding the drive on after this mishap were the two hydraulic steering rams. Imagine if this had happened at 100+ mph. We could have another serious tragedy on our hands. I talked today to another well known boat builder and he told me that these gimbals were designed for 600 hp motors and when we put 1000+ hp to them, they can break and to keep an eye out for cracks on them. I checked mine today (no cracks yet) and will continue to check it everytime I pull it out of the water. Has anyone else experienced this type of gimball failure?

OOfatso
07-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Robbie Racer:
People that try to benefit financially from a tragedy like this make me sick.
On another note I heard this week from a guy that built a blown 540 for a HTM customer that his customer almost crashed the boat because of a gimble failure. Luckily he was only going about 70 mph when it happened and it made a violent move and slammed passengers into other passengers and everyone got very wet but it did not roll or crash. He said the only thing holding the drive on after this mishap were the two hydraulic steering rams. Imagine if this had happened at 100+ mph. We could have another serious tragedy on our hands. I talked today to another well known boat builder and he told me that these gimbals were designed for 600 hp motors and when we put 1000+ hp to them, they can break and to keep an eye out for cracks on them. I checked mine today (no cracks yet) and will continue to check it everytime I pull it out of the water. Has anyone else experienced this type of gimball failure?

SK48
07-20-2002, 08:05 PM
This topic has been discussed a lot in the Hot Spots Forum. L.A. county sued check it out.

RiverLife
07-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Was HTM making their own gimbles, or has this happened to any other boats besides an HTM ? Just curious? I'm like a lot of others, I don't know a lot about mechanical stuff, but I want to learn.

dorC
07-22-2002, 09:41 AM
That's why god created the speedmaster.