PDA

View Full Version : The good ol days.....

Cole
07-01-2004, 04:21 PM
I am putting my 71 jet boat back together with my 540 cu blown Chevy.... and was remembering the days when my dad would chase down jet boats, or he would get chased by people wanting to race...they would "taunt" my dad to come and race!!
I remember him making that walk down the beach to the boat, fire it up with those water logs sounding oh so cool...it must have been the flappers!!!!
AS AN 8 YEAR OLD BOY THERE WAS NOTHING MORE FUN THAN WATCHING YOUR DAD RACING DOWN THE RIVER AT A BLISTERING 55-60 MPH THINKING THAT OUR BOAT WAS THE KING OF THE RIVER....
EveryoneÂ’s boats in those days were stock...unless they had one of those big tunnel rams and over the transom headers, We wouldnÂ’t want to contend with them because they looked..."TOOO FAST"!!!
I miss those days....
Does this happen anymoreÂ…good old fashion river racing at dusk????:D :D :D

riverbound
07-01-2004, 04:31 PM
I see it more in the winter minths at Parker. We always sit out on the deck and watch the sunset and the "fast" boats getting the last run of the night in.:)

77charger
07-01-2004, 05:01 PM
I remember those days too.Back then every big block did 80 though:D :confused:

Floored
07-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Had a friend back in early 70's named Tom Redfield jr who introduced me to flatbottoms. a beautiful yellow and gold Howard flattie with a bigblock and ot logs. that boat was beautiful and always spotless. never cared about jets much but now I have mine and enjoy it very much but still long for a flattie for personal fun when family is not envolved :cool: and the cool factor

1tricky1
07-01-2004, 05:32 PM
Yep, those were the good ole days. I remember when I used to get a kick out watching my old man back in the early 80's with his 19' Eliminator Daytona with a 225 Merc kick a$$ on every jet boat in sight. Later they would stop by and take a real close look at our boat scratching their head:confused: wondering how their "Big Block" just got spanked by a V6 :eek!:

Jetboatguru
07-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I remember the days when 1tricky1 would sit under the bleachers at school during the football games:eek:

1tricky1
07-02-2004, 10:09 PM
JBG, now don't you be jealous cuz I was gettin all the girls:p