PDA

View Full Version : Won a Tivo box.

HCS
07-02-2004, 12:17 PM
We just had our company luncheon. I won a Tivo box from the raffle.
Anyone have one?

Scream
07-02-2004, 12:19 PM
I've got a couple of brothers and a sister that have them. The love em, can set it up to watch any show they like when ever they want.
I would think about getting one but I don't like the fact that there's a monthly subscription fee.

HCS
07-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Scream
I've got a couple of brothers and a sister that have them. The love em, can set it up to watch any show they like when ever they want.
I would think about getting one but I don't like the fact that there's a monthly subscription fee.
Have any Idea how much the service is?
Will it work on ***boat?:D

Pointerman
07-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Hey Congrats! I work for TiVo.
Subs are $12.95 per month or $299 for product lifetime. You will love it and I don't say that just because I work here. I work here because I feel that way. The product will change your lifestyle. Seriously...
Have fun.

HCS
07-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Does it work with any set up?
I have Dish Network.

Pointerman
07-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Yup. There are some boxes it won't work with, but it is likely that it will work with yours. Just subscribe to monthly service and if you have problems you can cancel within 30 days for a full refund and sell the box on ebay. Also, if you really like the service (which you will) you can upgrade to product lifetime within the 30 day period and they will apply the full subscription price to the purchase of lifetime.
After checking our FAQ I see that there are two DISH boxes we don't support:
EchoStar 4000
JVC 4500

Pointerman
07-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Your first "Wish list" should be "water ski".

GlastronGuy
07-02-2004, 12:58 PM
We love ours.
The "Season Pass" feature is almost as great as pausing live TV.
During football season, I start the game then hit pause. I work around the house for an hour or so then grab my chips, salsa, Pacifico and watch the game while skipping through commericals and replaying what I want to see over.

HCS
07-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Sounds cool as shit.:cool:

Pointerman
07-02-2004, 02:21 PM
I set up season passes for the football games and start watching them an hour after they begin. By the end of the game I am usually caught up. I also pad all football games by one hour just in case. Season pass can be setup by doing "oakland raiders" and "at" as key words in a wish list. You will get all games with Oakland Raiders at Kansas City or Kansas City at Oakland Raiders". Works perfectly.

Pointerman
07-02-2004, 02:22 PM
BTW, your company must be pretty cool to include something like a TiVo box in a raffle. That's a pretty good prize.

HCS
07-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Pointerman
BTW, your company must be pretty cool to include something like a TiVo box in a raffle. That's a pretty good prize.
They have an employee appreciation lunch every couple months.
Tivo box was the big prize.
They gave away stuff like.
Tivo box.
CD/VCR.
Silvania 27" TV.
Ice chest.
Fold up chairs.
Booze, 1 gallon JD. & Case of beer.
and so on.
It's pretty cool.
:cool:

adsala
07-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
Have any Idea how much the service is?
I pay $4.99 a month to DirectTV for one Tivo box but of course you have to pay a nominal DirectTV subscription too. We actually have two Tivo's. Beats the heck out of a VCR!

MagicMtnDan
07-02-2004, 04:33 PM
I've got two TiVos and won't ever give 'em up. You quickly get used to watching what you want when you want and not watching commercials.
Plus you can pause and rewind live TV. Only problem with that is I want to rewind the radio in my truck when I miss something or rewind someone at work when I didn't hear what they said. :D

NorCal Gameshow
07-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by HARDCORE-SKI
We just had our company luncheon. I won a Tivo box from the raffle.
Anyone have one?
once you go tivo, you won't go back...
now i've got to figure out how to squeeze a 250 gig HD in mine..:D

Hal
07-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Which is better the Tivo on directv or the DVR on dish-network?

BiggusJimbus
07-02-2004, 08:20 PM
The TiVo.
Hands down.
It'll tape 2 shows at the same time while you watch something you've recorded, or 1 show if you are watching live TV.
The search functions and season pass function are FAR superior. I wouldn't even consider the Dish DVR after seeing it in action. The only advantage is that the base unit has more storage (significantly). The TiVo unit is, however upgradable fairly easily (if you have a geek friend or two).
DirecTV with TiVo is the ticket.
IMO.

adsala
07-02-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Only problem with that is I want to rewind the radio in my truck when I miss something or rewind someone at work when I didn't hear what they said. :D
Exactly!:D

Cole Sanger
07-02-2004, 09:56 PM
I had some friends give me a spare Tivo they had. I feel like I should give them my first born now. I do the same thing with the radio, always trying to rewind it. Once you go Tivo, you'll never be able to go back to regular TV. They are easily upgradeable. Go to the Tivo website, go on the forums and there are a tone of people that will have links to how it is done. Almost as easy as adding a second hard drive to a computer.