PDA

View Full Version : Help save a dogs life

Wet Dream
07-02-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm venting here and looking for some serious advice. I don't want to get rid of him so I'm thinking of hanging him from a tree instead. Just kidding on the hanging, but he deserves it. Some of you may recall that we have a female golden 1.5 years old (Summer) who is an angel. She learned quickly. Then there is Storm, another golden/ lab mix who is living up to his name. He is 7 months old. I'm not one for tying them outside, and there isn't a fence around the yard. The potty training is still hit and miss, but as soon as we leave the house, he's tearing up whatever he can find. He has a favorite plant that gets a tour of the house on a daily basis. Then there is whatever else he can find. 5 pound bag of flour, duster, electrical cords plugged in, clothes, garbage, Kleenex, newspapers, dog food, Coke cans, money, CD's, and bank statements. Thats just the list from today. :( As soon as I walk in the house, he bolts because he knows he did wrong. Then I have to go out, grab him and show him all the wrong things he did. What do I have to do to get him to stop? I convinced the wife to give him until August 1st, but he might not make it that long. Little fugger just doesn't get it.

Her454
07-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Talk to Lindsay....aka Mj19 or Wifey on the boards. She has great advice for dogs.
I would suggest a TON of chew toys tho and take whatever you dont want chewed up out of reach until they pass that stage. Consider yourself lucky.....BadMeds had to fix my ENTIRE air conditioning unit awhile back because my golden lab chewed up the outer case, wiring and copper tubing while I was gone for the weekend. THEN got ahold of a 256compaq flash card for the camera that was dropped on the floor....she got it and took out into the yard before I noticed and *poof* .
DOG TOYS, DOG TOYS, DOG TOYS, DOG TOYS, DOG TOYS, DOG TOYS. :)

welk2party
07-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Well being a lab owner, all I can say is have patience. They will get over it eventually. Keep them outside when your not home and make sure they have lots of toys. They destroy things when they are bored.
One fun thing if you have a large yard is buy a tennis ball shooter. Teach the dog to drop the ball in the feeder and then he will chase it and come back. Basically, he can play fetch with himslef. Fun to watch.:D

Her454
07-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
Well being a lab owner, all I can say is have patience. They will get over it eventually. Keep them outside when your not home and make sure they have lots of toys. They destroy things when they are bored.
One fun thing if you have a large yard is buy a tennis ball shooter. Teach the dog to drop the ball in the feeder and then he will chase it and come back. Basically, he can play fetch with himslef. Fun to watch.:D
My dog would chew the shooter up.........................:rolleyes:

THOR
07-02-2004, 03:06 PM
I have had a few goldens and they do grow out of that stuff.

Wet Dream
07-02-2004, 03:25 PM
This is my 3rd golden, and he is proving to be the bastard child.

Lightning
07-02-2004, 03:31 PM
It may just be the whole puppy stage thing. There has definately been some good advice on here already. Have you tried any obedience training with him to help him bond with you? What about crateing him during the day, that would solve a lot of the problems? How long do you leave him alone during the day, if it's 7 or 8 hours at a time, that's too long for a dog that young - they need more attention.

BrendellaJet
07-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Ive got one of those too.
Not a lab, but a puppy who likes to eat shit that aint hers. Funny thing is, her misbehavior rubbed off on my other dog, and now they are both kinda bad, that is until I started crating them. Get a cage. Dogs generally will not piss in their own bed, so you teach them to wait until you say they can go. Befroe I leave during the day I let them out. When I get home from work the first thing I do is let them out again. Works like a charm.
Also, Dogs need EXCERCISE. If I dont take my dogs out and run em for atleast an hour, they'll have A.D.D.
Im also very strict with my dogs. Of course there is a time to play, but they know when I mean business. They walk around the house with a leash handle on their choke chains. They know that when I have a leash or the handle in my hand, I am in total control. They get out of line and I let em know it. It helps to speak a command right before making a correction, such as "heal", now thats all I have to say and she will be right by my side looking up to me waiting for the next order. It helps if you put the choke chain on right. If it binds when you pull and doesn't release, you're doing it wrong. It should be very smooth and release when you do.
Im not afraid to punish my dog after they have done something wrong, even hours later. They know what they did, some "trainers" dont give dogs enough credit.
If you are consistent with the crating and training, your dog will become a well behaved one. But if you give em an inch, they will take advantage. It seems cruel to keep them in a cage, but their obedience will determine when they get out. after two month sin the cage, my 4 year old pit is back to being good. Im afraid to let my puppy out, Im tired of mopping up dog piss, its already ruined the finish on my floor. Probably gonna cost me 10 grand to get it fixed-I aint putting that shit down again...

welk2party
07-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Ive got one of those too.
Not a lab, but a puppy who likes to eat shit that aint hers. Funny thing is, her misbehavior rubbed off on my other dog, and now they are both kinda bad, that is until I started crating them. Get a cage. Dogs generally will not piss in their own bed, so you teach them to wait until you say they can go. Befroe I leave during the day I let them out. When I get home from work the first thing I do is let them out again. Works like a charm.
Also, Dogs need EXCERCISE. If I dont take my dogs out and run em for atleast an hour, they'll have A.D.D.
Im also very strict with my dogs. Of course there is a time to play, but they know when I mean business. They walk around the house with a leash handle on their choke chains. They know that when I have a leash or the handle in my hand, I am in total control. They get out of line and I let em know it. It helps to speak a command right before making a correction, such as "heal", now thats all I have to say and she will be right by my side looking up to me waiting for the next order. It helps if you put the choke chain on right. If it binds when you pull and doesn't release, you're doing it wrong. It should be very smooth and release when you do.
Im not afraid to punish my dog after they have done something wrong, even hours later. They know what they did, some "trainers" dont give dogs enough credit.
If you are consistent with the crating and training, your dog will become a well behaved one. But if you give em an inch, they will take advantage. It seems cruel to keep them in a cage, but their obedience will determine when they get out. after two month sin the cage, my 4 year old pit is back to being good. Im afraid to let my puppy out, Im tired of mopping up dog piss, its already ruined the finish on my floor. Probably gonna cost me 10 grand to get it fixed-I aint putting that shit down again...
Same with mine. It takes patience in the beginning but it works. Mine knows when I mean business and when she can play. I use hand signals combined with verbal commands. Hand signals work if she is running in a park and I want her to come back without yellin for her.

Ziggy
07-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Lots of patience...My pup isFINALLY not chewing and tearing up my yard to bad anymore...She's about 2 now.
I can get back to attempting to regrow a few things in the yard.:rolleyes:

Rexone
07-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Call uncle Matty :D

Hooterville
07-02-2004, 06:18 PM
SHOCK COLLAR...yep, sounds cruel but the father in law used one on his "spoiled" golden and after a while all you had to do is show the dog the transmitter and BAM...the golden child...O.K. this dog sleeps on the bed, eats in the kitchen, yada yada, but when you live in southern nowhere Utah and rabbits and deer cruse your front porch, a dog will want to run...heres the perfect dog:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518perfectdog-med.jpg

Mandelon
07-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Here are some ideas. A little weed (mixed with some hard liquor) might mellow him out. http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/100896.jpg
Or you could embarass him into submission with gay cornrows...
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/16864.JPG
Or get him a little suit...
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/16741.JPG
Or just face it.....
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/16193.JPG

RiverKitty
07-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Too cute Mandy!!! LMAO!!! :D

Wet Dream
07-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping to avoid going back to the crate, but this seems to be the best way to do it. I probably took him off the crate a little too early, giving him too much credit.

DansBlown73Nordic
07-02-2004, 08:27 PM
We use to have a very large Great Dane. About #180. He tried to mount a friend of mine in my front yard....:eek: :D

ahhell
07-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
We use to have a very large Great Dane. About #180. He tried to mount a friend of mine in my front yard....:eek: :D
Is he still your friend????:D :D or a relative:eek:

DansBlown73Nordic
07-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Still a friend...every once in a while he brings up the Love AFFAIR!!!!!:eek:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-02-2004, 08:56 PM
1st, if you can afford the $150, have a dog trainer come to your house. I've also heard that if you only leave them in the house for small periods of time and praise the heck out of them when you return and they have been good, gradually increasing the time, that helps with the destroying the house problem. Just a thought. Good luck, it's a tough age. Retrievers (golden or labrador) are worth their weight in gold in the long run, if they live that long:p

Misogynist
07-02-2004, 10:37 PM
I had a Dane too... great dog... his only bad habit.... if I didn't keep a close eye on him while he was out running around ( I didn't have to run him on a lease... he stayed close ) he would find the smelliest shit to roll in. But he never destroyed anything in the house... was well house broken... and good natured... He used to piss of women because he would crotch sniff them and then circle around behind them and give them a butt sniff... He learned not to do that to me... he got whacked in the head once...

v-drive
07-03-2004, 06:31 AM
sorry, double post

v-drive
07-03-2004, 06:37 AM
We have had a black lab for about 8 yrs now. He had to have both of his hips operated (re-constructed) when he was 8 mos. We contimplated putting him down but when our teenage children said they'd pay for the surgery if we decided to put him down our decision was made. Hoover is by far the best dog we have ever owned. His hips are getting a little arthritic and he can't run like he used to but they say it's normal after this surgery.
We have never had any of the problems spoken of here, the only thing he does is to bring my wifes shoes or sox out of our room and drops them by her recliner,5 days a week. I think it's the fact that he was made part of the family from the beginning that has made him such a good dog.......v-drive

Excessive Force
07-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Since were talking bout dogs...anyone know if someone makes somekind of electronic fly repellent that works, friggin flys are eating my dogs ears. Ive tried flysoff, swat, and liquid fly repellent made for horses, none of it works for a very long time.

v-drive
07-03-2004, 09:10 AM
I tried everything to. I found this stuff called Sterling re-usable fly trap at home depot. We'e had absolutely no problem since.
WARNING... Hang it high or it really smells.The fly's love it. Actually so does the Dog.... :D v-drive

Scream
07-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Hooterville
SHOCK COLLAR...yep, sounds cruel but the father in law used one on his "spoiled" golden and after a while all you had to do is show the dog the transmitter and BAM...the golden child...O.K. this dog sleeps on the bed, eats in the kitchen, yada yada, but when you live in southern nowhere Utah and rabbits and deer cruse your front porch, a dog will want to run...heres the perfect dog:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518perfectdog-med.jpg
I can't believe you did that to Cricket...Hey, where's my beer anyway...

Scream
07-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Excessive Force
Since were talking bout dogs...anyone know if someone makes somekind of electronic fly repellent that works, friggin flys are eating my dogs ears. Ive tried flysoff, swat, and liquid fly repellent made for horses, none of it works for a very long time.
Ok, here's a weird one. My brother goes with a friend in Texas to a steak house in the middle of a cattle range. Flies like you wouldn't believe. He can't believe that in this restaurant, or on the porch where he and his friend were eating there wasn't one single fly. Not one. They asked the waiter how they kept them away and he pointed to these clear plastic bags of water hanging from the porch roof. They had these things haning about 10' apart or so. Just water in them, nothing else. The waiter couldn't say why it worked, just that it worked.
We tried it at my brothers house and sure enough, it worked like a charm. Looks weird, but works well.

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 05:56 PM
Can you build/buy a dog pen? If you keep you dog in a dog run while you are gone, that will save your yard....
Here is my sweetie.................:D http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566Park_Moabi_June_2004_026-med.jpg

manuel
07-03-2004, 10:11 PM
We had a German Shepard puppy who would chew everything BUT the chew toys, one day he did a LOT of damage to our house by trying to eat the corners of the cedar planking so I put him on a long leash at a large oak tree but that night they were predicting severe storms so I leashed him to the motorhome bumper thinking he could get under it and stay dry, in the morning I went to move him back and he was happily sitting there surrounded by pieces of wire of every color, the black sheathing, plumbing hoses from the gray and black water tanks, and the vinyl spare tire cover, he got the fuel pump wires and transmission wires too, total bill was over $1,800. plus towing, he was beautiful so it was real easy to give him away the next day, I even gave them all his chew toys....unused of course, he would also leave us dead fish, frogs, turtles on the back door and liked to just sit in the river for hours at a time so he smelled bad all the time:)

Wet Dream
07-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Manuel thats funny, but its not at the same time. ;)