PDA

View Full Version : OK computer geeks...............

clownpuncher
07-02-2004, 08:31 PM
What do I need to upload videos from my DVC onto my computer? Thanks on advance and I didn't mean to call ya a geek. Unless you are one :D

Cheap Thrills
07-02-2004, 08:33 PM
does it not have a USB or Firewire interface ?
Need more info on the DVC unit . pls.
C.T. :wink:

clownpuncher
07-02-2004, 08:37 PM
It's just a little Sony digital. Model DCR-TRV8 NTSC.

GlastronGuy
07-02-2004, 09:02 PM
You need a cable between the cam and the computer and some software. Both should have come with the the cam.
XP has some built in software that should work.

Cheap Thrills
07-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Looking at the manual from Sony it doesn't have a computer interface .
However , there are other ways to skin a cat., it does have digital video output which is excellent for feeding a video capture divice on your PC . heres a webpage on devices of that nature......Video Capture Cards ..... (http://www.videoguys.com/roundup.htm#adv)
Good Luck with it .

clownpuncher
07-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll look into the site.

harrisonmirage
07-02-2004, 10:23 PM
My computer is a bit dated now but I use an ATI video capture card.You hook the camera up with RCA cables.My card has an output to the T.V. so you can just capture the movies in mpg formatt an play them back on the T.V..I don't have a DVD burner but what I do if you want to play movies back on your DVD player is use a program called VCD easy to burn to a standard disc in VCD formatt.The mpeg has to be saved in the proper video and audio formatt.A program called TMPGE is great for cutting,splicing,adding music,and setting the format corect to burn in VCD format.I ussualy capture in as big a format as the computer will handle then use tmpge to compress the files for best quality.In asian markets VCD is very popular and some still argue the quality is better than DVD.These programs are free downloads and work better than a lot of purchased programs I have tried.With VCD easy you can put aprox. 2000 pictures on 1 disc and play them back on your T.V. through your DVD player.It takes some messing around to figure this stuff out but if you have the patience you can make some pretty cool movies.

Spotondl
07-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Damn!!! Geeks unite....
First you need lots of hard drive space, then you need a video capture card, after that you would benefit from some video editing software....
For your Sony, I would specifically look for a capture card that supports IEEE: 1394 Firewire. S-video minimum.
RCA is composite and unless you like watching video with beer goggles simply avoid that.
Pinnacle Software makes several grades of editing software and hardware packages that can get you started very nicely.
Pinnacle Website (http://www.pfaffengines.com/gallery/ezGallery.cgi?1&cat=Client_Gallery)
Oops, wrong link, see I'm not such a geek, LOL, here's the real one.
Pinnacle website (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7)

Cheap Thrills
07-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Spotondl
Damn!!! Geeks unite....
First you need lots of hard drive space, then you need a video capture card, after that you would benefit from some video editing software....
For your Sony, I would specifically look for a capture card that supports IEEE: 1394 Firewire. S-video minimum.
RCA is composite and unless you like watching video with beer goggles simply avoid that.
Pinnacle Software makes several grades of editing software and hardware packages that can get you started very nicely.
Pinnacle Website (http://www.pfaffengines.com/gallery/ezGallery.cgi?1&cat=Client_Gallery)
Oops, wrong link, see I'm not such a geek, LOL, here's the real one.
Pinnacle website (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&Langue_ID=7)
Excellent advice & recomendations !
lots of hard drive space :D
lots of ram and a fast processor doesn't hurt .
Either the fire wire usb 2.0, or better yet a PCI card that has a digital input.
S Video is the same composite signal it's just shielded better than RCA !
I have Pinnacle studio 8.8 with Hollywodd FX
that came with a Dazzle USB composite capture device it's good magic for video tape conversion.
If you can , , Say no to the Composite / analog devices they work in a pinch but not digital quality.
Yes I am an bonifide electronics "geek" it's like a curse I can't stop and I need help. :D
CIAO

Spotondl
07-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Cheap Thrills
S Video is the same composite signal it's just shielded better than RCA !:wink:
Actually S video is a true component Y rY bY signal which is much better than any composite signal, however, you are right in suggesting the digital route.
I have never used USB O/I so I cannot attest to its quality but "fire wire" rocks.
Rich

Cheap Thrills
07-03-2004, 08:54 AM
weird on the S Video dealo.
I made a cable for the S Video out on my laptop ( S Video to RCA) works like a charm :D
Fire Wire has a transfer rate of 400Mbs.
USB 2.0 has a transfer rate of 480 Mbs.