PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure drop solved

adsala
07-02-2004, 08:49 PM
I want to thank all who replied to my previous thread about my oil pressure problem. No more oil pressure drop!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49309
I pulled the motor then the pan!
I did three things. I looked at the pickup tube to pump connection. I noticed a very very little bit of gasket was overlapping the hole so I cleaned it up and tapered the pump intake opening. I also checked the clearance of the oil pump lid to rotor. It was at .005" so I took it down to .002". I also removed the 1.5' x 3/4" drain tube connected to the oil pan drain plug hole thinking that there might be air bubbles developing. I put the the pan's plug in it's place. Oh, I also checked one main bearing and it looked great.
I had 8 quarts of the original oil (20-50)so I resused it. It was still very clean. I supplemented it with straight Val Race 50wt. 2 quarts worth.
I had a whole four days at the lake last weekend. Using almost 30 gallons of gas! The engine runs great and the oil pressure is now very good! I ran the boat pretty hard too. At one time I had 5 in the boat and three on a tube and oil pressure was running at 45. After backing off the hard stress run, it creeped back to 60 and idled at 40. Pretty much running at 50-60 all day long all rpm ranges. No instant pressure drop what-so-ever! Cold pressure is 70-75.
I don't which of these things fixed it. But all is good. Thanks

LakesOnly
07-02-2004, 08:50 PM
ALRI-I-I-I-I-I-I-GHT!

Fiat48
07-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Congrats on your persitance to fix the problem. :)

seho
07-03-2004, 07:45 AM
Normally I'd say not to mix weights of oil but at this point, it's working so who cares.... glad you got it fixed! (30 gal. in 'days'? man I envy your fuel mileage!!)
Appreciate you letting us know. :)