PDA

View Full Version : Please be civil!

***boat
01-24-2002, 05:00 PM
Everyone,
I've been following the "HTM Crash" debate and it’s obvious to me that BOTH sides have made their fair share of valid arguments AND unfortunate blunders. Please, let’s keep our heads and not go to war over this. I am flushing the whole ~tribal vote~ thread down the toilet, save one thoughtful and neutral post from Essex502 (which I’m reproducing unedited below). This post might serve as a starting-over point, or as the concluding point. But at any rate, civility is the order of the day: please do your part!
Thank you,
The Webmaster
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Gentlemen and Ladies All.... I have to put my two cents into this pile as I have been standing back and watching the flames go back and forth like a tennis match. Unfortunately, they seem to have degraded to name calling and alleged threats. This is too bad. It is sad to see adults (I think we're all adults here) act as children. Without naming names - and there are names on both sides of the issue - many of you are a little "over the edge". Please, lighten up! Tribal drums, threats, name-calling, reports to the authorities, etc., etc., etc. - Christ let it go!
The most enjoyable part though is how the writing and spelling abilities of those posting on the board are so weak. It seems to paint boaters in a poor light concerning their language skills. Also, the profanity or feigned profanity is not appropriate here. This is a public forum. Please resist.
While I believe it is everyone's right to speak freely it has been determined that forums such as this are controlled at the whim of the administrators. There are rules and they should be enforced no matter which side of the argument a "poster" happens to fall on. There are NO rights - just priviledges. Like driving here in California. Remember that when you post.
Now, since I am standing tall on my soapbox, I would like to say a few things about the terrible accident. Hopefully, nobody will take offense and flame me next! I am sure I share the same interest to really find out what happened to cause or contribute to the accident. Maybe someone who truly was on Castaic or with the guys that day could clarify a few points:
1)Were the 4 wearing protective gear? PFD's, helmets, other gear? The first reports said that a flotation device was found near the first body to be found. Was it being worn or - as mine usually are - stowed in the boat?
2)Were there seats in the boat? Reports have stated that there was no interior except for a driver's seat. Is this true?
3)Does anybody REALLY know what the intent of the day at the lake was? Wednesday of that week they were testing for top speed according to MrPumps' post that night and I believe he stated that their intent was to continue the testing to get even more speed out of the boat.
4)Was it even the same boat? I can't remember seeing a post that stated it was.
5)Was it a prototype or a complete boat?
6)Was it the first of a new boat design or has that design been built and tested before?
I find the above to be very concerning to me and I am sure others feel the same way. As tragedies like this happen all we can do is try to put them into perspective and learn what we can from them. I'll bet each and everyone of you has thought to yourself "God could it happen to me?" If you didn't you should! I know I have lost some sleep over this event even though I didn't personally or professionally know any of the gentlemen involved. All endeavor has risks and what we learn from surviving them or not is how we grow. I for one have had my share and survived but will certainly always remember this tragedy whenever I go boating from now on.
Well that's all I have to say. If someone wants to flame me for the above statements then have at it! I have been flamed by the very best of them over the last 15 years or so I participated in bulletin boards, online forums and newsgroups. GO for it! Anyway, hopefully we can all find peace and wish the grieving families the best of our thoughts and hearts and say we are truly sorry for their loss.

RiverDave2
01-24-2002, 05:26 PM
(In the voice of a kid)
He Started It... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
RD

BradP
01-24-2002, 05:50 PM
How anyone get into argument over this tragic accident is beyond me.
They wanted to go fast JUST EVERY SINGLE ONE US. It was an ACCIDENT!
Give all concerned some respect.
Especially their family and friends.
By the way I've seen them run many times at Castaic they always had helmets on and offshore vests when I saw them
[This message has been edited by BradP (edited January 24, 2002).]

Doug The Jeweler
01-24-2002, 06:44 PM
I give

spectra75
01-24-2002, 08:21 PM
ESSEX502 Well said!!!

Slick
01-25-2002, 06:33 AM
I'm sure glad I stayed out of that mess. I once heard that arguing on an internet forum is alot like two retards arguing with eachother. When all is said and done, they're still retards.
Later
Slick

Bill in Las Vegas
01-25-2002, 06:48 AM
Let us all be thankful that his bickery can be stopped. It is almost summer and time to start thinking about why we love our sport as we all do. This is how it will bring us all together again. I will be holding a cold one high in the air many times this year in a salute to our friends who no longer can. Bless them all.

Essex502
01-25-2002, 07:50 AM
Gee, I humbled to be thought of as "thoughtful".

Charley
01-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Essex502...you seem like a very eloquent man, and I'm sure you have mostly positive intentions, but even when you are trying to make peace you gotta take a pot shot at other board members spelling deficits. That "Im better than you" attitude is what got me so pissed at you in the first place. The funniest part is that your last post is grammatically incorrect!
"gee I humbled to be thought as thoughtful" ?
Uh ...anyways...Spelling doesn't make a man, and furthermore it doesn't determine a man's ability to drive a boat properly.......my suggestion is hop off your soap box before you get pushed off. You might be taken more seriously if you stop talking to us like we are your kids, we aren't your kids.....we are however the men that own our own boats, and make our own decisions on how we choose to drive them. I am open to your safety suggestions if you can learn how to express your views in a LESS condescending manner.
By the way that last line is a SINCERE offer, no sarcasm intended in context.