PDA

View Full Version : Uncommon Sense???????????

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Ok so I went out to Folsom Lake today. Wow it was crowded... but it was still nice. I got a nice beach and kicked it for a while.
I finally decided to take the Ultra for a ride and cruised around a little stopping and swimming a while with the wife and a friend.
Coming back to our day camp, I see this nice direct drive boat that appeared to be pulling someone (because most of the attention in the boat was focused behind the boat).. but I see no tow rope and no tube, skiier, wakeboarder.
But as I get closer (I slowed down cuz I couldn't figure out what was going on) I see two little girls clinging on the ample swim platform.
I couldn't believe it. I saw RED , swung the boat around gunned the engine and pulled up alongside waving like a nutjob. The driver slowed the boat to a stop, the girls dropped off (at least they were wearing lifevests), and I proceeded to tell him that one 11 year old died out on the lake doing just the same thing, as have many others because you are basically sucking the CO right out of the engine.
The guy looked surprised, and I have a feeling probably took the advice. Just to make sure, I tracked down a Sheriffs boat and told him the story. He took off in the direction of the boat immediately.
I gotta tell you, I was shaking after seeing that, and I was pretty upset with the guy.. although I didn't use any language, just matter of fact, this is what has happened doing that.
WTF is it? Do we just see the danger and others don't? I was absolutely beside myself for a while...
Is common sense.... really that uncommon????????

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Wow!
Unbelievable.......
A very good friend of mine, whom I trust with boats, has been boating her entire life, decided to lay on the engine cover and hold on to the head rests of her boat, while her boat went full speed across the lake. She did this with her daughter, and her daughters friends.....
I was speechless....:rolleyes:
You did the right thing, Doc, educated a boater and kept your cool;)

Havasu_Dreamin
07-03-2004, 06:46 PM
The guy is obviously an idiot! The SO boat should have gone over and either writen the guy up for reckless operation and child endangerment, arrested him for it, or just beat the sh!t out of him until he understood the danger!

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
The guy is obviously an idiot! The SO boat should have gone over and either writen the guy up for reckless operation and child endangerment, arrested him for it, or just beat the sh!t out of him until he understood the danger!
I tell you I am glad the guy was civil and obviously just oblivious to the danger. If he'd have had an attitude... I was mad enough to do an A-Team jump....... LOL.... I woulda Pittied the fool!

Rexone
07-03-2004, 07:05 PM
You'd be amazed at the number of boaters oblivious or uneducated to this danger. The CA DBW has a radio campaign going right now targeting this exact group. I'm sure this guy was just clueless about the situation. Non gearheads generally don't even consider such things as where the exhaust goes. They do not care or even think about it. Glad you informed him.
This another of many areas that mandatory education for boating operation would impact. Anyone can presently buy a boat and go off and run it without so much as a clue on navigation or safety rules.
You haven't ever been able to drive a car without training. In many ways boats are more dangerous... no marked lanes, no brakes, etc, etc.

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah!
Why can you buy a boat/motorcycle/jet ski with no training...........but to buy a car you need a license?
I'm thinkin we need some boating license, before you can drive.
Would we want that regulated? I say yes!:D

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Yeah!
Why can you buy a boat/motorcycle/jet ski with no training...........but to buy a car you need a license?
ALWAYS remember that the rocks have the right of way......:p

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
ALWAYS remember that the rocks have the right of way......:p
soooooooooooooooooo
not funny:( :frown:

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 07:24 PM
soooooooooooooooooo
not funny:( :frown:
Sorry hon....... bad timing.......:o

Havasu_Dreamin
07-03-2004, 07:40 PM
Yeah!
As far as street bikes I would think you need to have whatever class endorsement it is to purchase a motorcycle. Obviously this would exclude dirt bikes.

Debbolas
07-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
As far as street bikes I would think you need to have whatever class endorsement it is to purchase a motorcycle. Obviously this would exclude dirt bikes.
I have a motorcycle license....;)

Duck
07-03-2004, 08:27 PM
Great you took the matter in hand and stopped them. One down-
a million morons to go.

Kim Hanson
07-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Yeah!
I have one but it's not mandatory till 2009, lots are just sitting waiting on it. A license dosen't make you a good boater though, seat time does and comman sence. It isn't so common after all :D ........( . )( . ).....This sounds funny coming from me considering my boats, do it safe or do it alone!

manuel
07-03-2004, 09:35 PM
In Alabama you have to take a safe boating course and pass the test to get your boat license, they started it in 1999, too many kids were being killed or injured on lake-lice, I was actually against it at first because I didn't want more regulations but everytime I opened the paper there was another fatality so now I'm all for it, we also have mandatory ignition kill switches, I don't know if it helped any but I feel a little safer, although they have no minimum IQ requirements;)

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by riodog
Anyone have any comments about this pic?
I, myself, think it sends a very bad message - just my own 2 cents!
Rio
That outboarders like heavy women? :confused:
It's true. :D

manuel
07-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Maybe he has a large insurance policy on her and Armorall on the sunpad? and two witnesses ready to fall in to help pick up the parts?:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
07-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
That outboarders like heavy women? :confused:
It's true. :D
So much more there to have fun with...........;)

Tom Brown
07-03-2004, 10:28 PM
So much more there to have fun with...........;)
When I'm sawing a chick in half with my dick, I don't want her to stop jiggling for several moments after I stop banging her like a broken car door.

Dr. Eagle
07-04-2004, 12:23 PM
DOH! Did this ever get off topic..... and I think I'm to blame......
Anyone know a good shrink? ;)

Tom Brown
07-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Anyone know a good shrink? ;)
I know a couple of chicks who specialize in that.

repo man
07-04-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by riodog
http://www.dcbracing.com/images/gallery/PhotoShoot_2003/716/dcbboat106.jpg
Anyone have any comments about this pic?
I, myself, think it sends a very bad message - just my own 2 cents!
Rio she is gonna feed alot of fish

PHX ATC
07-04-2004, 01:56 PM
You did the noble thing by telling the idiot driver (dad?) that his girls were in danger.
I would honestly hope that if I did something that stupid and moronic (which, on occassion might still happen:D ) somebody would help me out.

Dr. Eagle
07-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I know a couple of chicks who specialize in that.
Shrinkage?

Spotondl
07-04-2004, 03:28 PM
If you open this pic in Photoshop 7 or later, you can zoom in real tight on her ass and you can see this disclaimer tattoo'd right on top.... This makes it OK, now get on with life. :D:D:D
The opinions, information, and self-evident truths herein are the property of the owner and should not be construed as representing those of DCB, its administrators, faculty, staff, students, research associates, robots or laboratory animals. Void where prohibited. Use only as directed. Do not exceed recommended dosage. Your mileage may vary. No trees were destroyed in the creation of this disclaimer, although many trillions of electrons were seriously inconvenienced. Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while under the influence of this disclaimer. Prices P.O.E. New York: slightly higher West.
This information and any products or programs contained herein or linked herefrom are presented AS IS, without any warranty, express or implied, including without limitation those of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and noninfringement or arising from a course of dealing, usage or trade practice. The laws of some States do not permit the disclaimer of implied warranty: consult your state consumer protection agency for further information regarding your rights, if any, under governing law. The duration of the implied warranty contained under State law, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are limited in duration should the duration of the express warranty grant it hereunder. There are no warranties which extend beyond the description on the face OF THIS AGREEMENT. Should any portion of this agreement be found invalid, the entire remainder of this agreement shall remain in force. May cause drowsiness. May cause excitement or irritability. Do not use for a period exceeding one week without consulting your physician. Discontinue usage if redness or itching develops. Use care when cleaning plastic surfaces to avoid scratching. Read and understand all safety instructions before operating.
This is not a toy: keep this and all disclaimers out of the reach of children. Tests performed by professional driver on closed course: do not attempt. This product contains a chemical known by the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Not to be taken internally. Avoid prolonged contact with skin or breathing of vapors. If ingestion occurs, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Close tightly and store in a cool, dry place. Refrigerate after opening. Do not iron clothes while wearing. Not to be used in damp or wet locations. Use only in properly ventilated areas: do not use in the presence of heat or open flame. Always wear eye protection. Always wear protective gloves and dusk mask. If product gets in eyes, rinse thoroughly with water. Use cool or cold water and follow manufacturer's care instructions sewn into garments. Do not treat garment while wearing.
Please be aware that we do not control or guarantee the accuracy, revelance, timeliness, or completeness of this outside information. Transmission of these materials is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. If irritation continues, consult a physician. Do not puncture or incinerate. Handle with care. Quitting smoking now greatly reduces serious risks to your health. Do not fold, bend, spindle, or mutilate. Contents under pressure. Keep hands away from cutting area and blade. No one, including Internet subscribers and on-line readers, should act upon any information contained on this web site without first seeking qualified, professional legal counsel.
This product is sold by weight, not volume; some settling of contents may occur in shipping. Store unused contents in a tightly-closed container. Dress properly. Always wear protective clothing. Do not enter if you are wearing a pacemaker. Turn off all electrical devices. Do not wear loose-fitting clothing or jewelry. Contain long hair. Do not over-tighten. Prices subject to dealer participation and local variation. Dispose of properly. Use only with a properly grounded receptacle. Avoid body contact with grounded surfaces such as pipes, radiators, ranges and refrigerators.
Do not open: no user serviceable parts inside. Be sure switch is "Off" bfore plugging in. Do not put fingers or hands into a waste disposer. Do not use outdoors. Keep hands and feet from under mower while operating. Do not run cord under carpeting. Some assembly required. Batteries not included.
The information herein should not be considered complete, nor should it be relied on to suggest a course of treatment for a particular individual; it should not be used in place of a visit, call, consultation or the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider. Apply product to a small test area before washing. If the color does not bleed or fade, proceed with recommended use. In case of bleeding, contact a physician promptly. Do not use this product if you are or may become pregnant. Disconnect the plug from the power source before making any adjustments, changing accessories, or storing. Exposure to temperatures over 130° F. may cause bursting. Do not mix with chlorine-type bleach or other household chemicals.
Parental discretion advised: some material may not be suitable for viewing by children. Clothes may appear unkempt immediately after use. Do not use if you have a vaginal discharge. Do not put this product into the rectum by using fingers or any mechanical device or applicator. For best results invert can and shake well before opening. Do not transfer contents or reuse container. Protect from light. Protect from freezing. Nothing contained herein is intended to be instructional for medical diagnosis or treatment. Disconnect power before installing. Follow all local electrical and building codes. If you do not understand, or cannot read, all directions, cautions and warnings, do not enter this web site.
We disclaim any liability, loss, injury, or damage incurred as a consequence, directly or indirectly, of the use and application of any of the contents of this site, including, without limitation, lost profits or revenues, costs of replacement goods, loss or damage or data arising out of the use or inability to use this Web Site, any other hyperlinked web site or the use or misuse of any information obtained herein. Information obtained herein is not exhaustive and does not cover all diseases, ailments, physical conditions or their treatment. The author is not providing legal advice by providing the information herein. While every effort is made to provide accurate and useful information, we do not warrant the information to be authoritative, complete, final, factual, timely or accurate. The author reserves the right to change the programs, products, and any information contained or referred to herein at any time without notice. The availability of and/or to the information does not constitute endorsement of the content of the information. If you feel that the information obtained via a link to another site is inaccurate or offensive, we suggest that you contact the original producer or distributor of that information. By accessing this Web Site, you acknowledge acceptance of these terms and conditions. In the case of any violation of these rules and regulations, the author reserves the right to seek all remedies available by law and in equity for such violations. These rules and regulations apply to all visits to this Web Site, both now and in the future.
Failure to follow these instructions carefully may result in serious injury or death.

cc322
07-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Instant chum........:eek:

Dr. Eagle
07-05-2004, 08:06 AM
That disclaimer would have to be in 5 point font even on that more than ample posterior.......:confused:

mickeyfinn
07-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Don't know about everywhere else but here we don't have to have a license to buy a car. Just to drive it on public roads. Guess it is kinda nitpicky but I assume that is what everyone means. Just want to see some kind of hint that others on the water have a clue as to what they are doing. Boat licenses are more regulation but I do see where they would be of use in helping to educate people. At least once they have been told we can assume it is just darwin at work when they get themselves killed doing it anyway.

Rexone
07-05-2004, 03:01 PM
I don't advocate licences in their traditional sense in this case. I do advocate mandatory education. Some kind of one time license or certificate may be the only way to guarantee compliance though on the education part. As far as a license like a drivers license that has to be renewed, that's primarily just a revenue thing and I don't think would serve the purpose that needs to be served. Already plenty of taxes going on without another.