PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooling question..

Trouble Maker
07-03-2004, 08:37 PM
With a remote filter and cooler set-up...what should you do, filter or cool the oil first???

07-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Trouble Maker
With a remote filter and cooler set-up...what should you do, filter or cool the oil first??? Always filter the oil before the cooler. In case of engine failure the junk doesn't get into the cooler providing the filter isn't bypassing. Another reason: the hot oil will pass thru the filter faster than cool oil.

Trouble Maker
07-06-2004, 06:11 PM
Any other opinions on this???

superdave013
07-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Trouble Maker
Any other opinions on this???
Dude, that 058 guy knows his stuff. Even for a FORD guy! haha J/K
Anyway I agree with him. filter first
Now, what size lines are you running and what are the port sizes in the filter head? I ask because I get asked this all the time and would like to hear your opinion.

GofastRacer
07-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Always filter the oil first!....Use #10 lines minimum, you don't want any restrictions!..:)

superdave013
07-06-2004, 07:07 PM
Gofast, I'm with ya on the -10 lines.
Now let me ask you this. What about the block and filter adapters, 3/8NPT ok? I kinda boo hoo'ed one and the guy returned it for one that had 1/2 NPT ports.

Trouble Maker
07-06-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm just using the standard mercruiser hoses/cooler/oil adapter. It must have just been hooked up incorrectly after the last engine rebuild. I tend to agree with filter first as well...I'm gonna change it back around...
Thanks

Thunderbutt
07-08-2004, 02:34 PM
On a Dan Olson cooler does the oil filter first befor it goes through the cooler?

502procharger
07-09-2004, 07:07 AM
SO ON A REMOTE OIL SETUP WHAT WAY DOES THE OIL FLOW? THE UNIT THAT MOUNTS TO THE MOTOR TO MAKE IT A REMOTE FILTER HAS A CENTER LINE AND ONE OFF TO THE SIDE, WHICH IS THE INPUT AND WHICH THE OUTPUT?

Infomaniac
07-09-2004, 07:13 AM
Oil filters from the outside in. Most filters of any type filter the same direction.
1/2 NPT #10 minimum if the oil exits the engine.

502procharger
07-09-2004, 07:30 AM
OK INFO SO LET ME MAKE SURE I HAVE IT RIGHT . FROM THE REMOTE OIL FILTER ADAPTER THAT IS MOUNTED TO THE MOTOR THE FITTING OFF TO THE SIDE IS THE OUTPUT FROM THE MOTOR THAT SHOULD GO TO THE SIDE SIDE(NOT CENTER) FITTING ON MY REMOTE FILTER, THEN OUT OF THE CENTER FITTING ON MY REMOTE FILTER, TO THE OIL COOLER, FROM THE OIL COOLER AND BACK TO THE CENTER FITTING ON THE EMGINE MOUNTERD REMOTE OIL FILTER ADAPTER? AND THAT IS THE FLOW OF THE OIL AND CORECT FILTERING?
SO THE PART YOU SCREW THE FILTER ONTO IS THE INPUT BACK INTO THE MOTOR. SORRY IF THIS IS CONFUSING BUT JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE IT IS ALL RIGHT

Infomaniac
07-09-2004, 08:37 AM
That is the correct flow.
Just make sure your lines are big enough and do not restrict flow.
Measure your oil pressure after all of that mess.

502procharger
07-09-2004, 10:54 AM
info i am using the stock lines that came on the 500hp begore i hade it a 548 and procharged it. are they big enough. have you ever seen anyone use one of these
http://www.hardin-marine.com/detail.aspx?ID=2099
i dont run a termo. and i dont feel at cruise my oil is getting very hot. i dont have an oil temp guage yet but it is on order when i shoot my oil flter durring a 3000rpm run with a lazer temp thinggy it only reads like 160, how much diff do you thing the oil in the filter vs the outside of the oil filter differ?