PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and need some help

SDuster11
07-03-2004, 09:21 PM
Got a boat and don't know much about the Jet part. been on the street scene for a while but was dealing with a Small Block Chevy now I gots to learn about a Big Block Olds any early pointers or tid bits you'll think i should know?
First off and most important to me is I need to identify what type of pump I have. I know it's a Berkley but that's it. Reason bein is I want/have to have a Jetovator and currently the pump doesn't so what do i have to do to set it up and all. Also could someone explain what the "split bowl" is?
Next I heard that you have to run a standard style (not and automatic style flexplate) flywheel? Is this true? if so how come?
Finally, currently the boat doesn't have a cover for the engine and I would like to have one for safety issues with kids around. Anyways have people made the covers? If so how'd they do it and could they explain? thanks for all the help!

Havasu_Dreamin
07-03-2004, 09:41 PM
You may want to post this in the Just Jets section. You know, where the suck and blow guys hang out. LMAO :p

Dribble
07-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by SDuster11
Next I heard that you have to run a standard style (not and automatic style flexplate) flywheel? Is this true? if so how come?
Because you don't have a torque converter and the engine requires rotating mass or it will wind up and down to quickly. You need the weight of an automotive style flywheel.

riverbound
07-07-2004, 04:45 PM
You should post away in the just jets section.

mirvin
07-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Post a pic of the rear / engine section of the boat so we can help with the cover.
mirvin;)

Blown 472
07-16-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Dribble
Because you don't have a torque converter and the engine requires rotating mass or it will wind up and down to quickly. You need the weight of an automotive style flywheel.
What about that thing called an impeller that controls the rpm? My ford has a flex plate and most every jet I have seen has a flex plate.

Jordy
07-16-2004, 02:05 PM
I had a flywheel in my Schiada jet, and have a flexplate in my yellow boat. I'd say you have enough rotating mass with the balancer and the flexplate. Just as long as you have the rotating assembly balanced with whatever you're going to run you should be ok.
Besides, without the extra weight, it does run up quicker. I know the first thing they did on my Banshee was machine the flywheel down and pull weight off it so it would rev up quicker. Little different creature, but essentially the same scenario. :D

wideopen545
07-22-2004, 04:53 PM
were just using a flex plate and a blancer on my blown 498 has been working fine so far

460rogers
07-22-2004, 07:32 PM
All the OLDS powered SJ's I've seen came with a flywheel not a flex plate.I'm thinkin thats how they bought the engines and they are balanced with the flywheel.If you go with the flex plate you may have to have the rotating assy rebalanced.
Oh yea!!
on a split bowl the snoot where the nozzle mounts is bolted on, on a regular bowl the snoot and bowl are molded together.
here is a picture of a split bowl with the snoot taken off.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1161DSCN0216-med.JPG
hope this helps

obnoxious001
07-22-2004, 08:36 PM
An engine balance shop can match balance a flexplate to the flywheel, or vice versa, without having to rebalance the entire engine. Every jet boat I have ever been around used a flexplate.