PDA

View Full Version : New and need some advice/help

SDuster11
07-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Got a boat and don't know much about the Jet part. been on the street scene for a while but was dealing with a Small Block Chevy now I gots to learn about a Big Block Olds any early pointers or tid bits you'll think i should know?
First off and most important to me is I need to identify what type of pump I have. I know it's a Berkley but that's it. Reason bein is I want/have to have a Jetovator and currently the pump doesn't so what do i have to do to set it up and all. Also could someone explain what the "split bowl" is?
Next I heard that you have to run a standard style (not and automatic style flexplate) flywheel? Is this true? if so how come?
Finally, currently the boat doesn't have a cover for the engine and I would like to have one for safety issues with kids around. Anyways have people made the covers? If so how'd they do it and could they explain? thanks for all the help!

SDuster11
07-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Okay I talked to a guy today and said not to worry the a flexplate will work just fine. so i'm good to go on that but as for my other questions will someone help me out

Sleek26
07-04-2004, 11:22 PM
OK SD,
Need more info Bubba. I assume the boat you bought has an Olds in it already?? If so you have a lot to learn. If not many including my self will tell you to stay away from the Olds for a few good reasons. I've been there so I know of which I speak.
Can an Olds motor live in a jet boat? Of course it can.
Is it going to be a bigger pain in the arse than a ford or Chevy?
Absolutely??
Why, you ask?? Because parts are harder to find, and it has oiling problems (they can be dealt with but, yes it is a pain in the arse.)the resale value at a later date, should you decide you want something different, is most likely not going to be as good, and of course other than the die hard Olds guys you are going to get shit from the Chevy and Ford guys.
As for your pump there should be an aluminum plate on your pump that says something like "12JC-A" or something like that on it. That should indicate what pump you have, unless someone has changed it over the years.
As far as what a split bowl is, it is easier to understand with pic's and I still don't know how to post them and don't have any to post anyway. Maybe someone will do that for you. Good luck.

cave
07-05-2004, 06:13 AM
The JC is a one piece bowl. JC pic I hope (http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Jet-Drives/242.htm) Notice that the nozzel is attach so it will only pivot left and right.
Notice that the part that the tiller is attached to is a bolt on rather than a fixed part.JG I hope (http://www.cpperformance.com/products/Jet-Drives/243.htm) . On the JG you can turn the pivot piece 90° to attach a diverter or droop. There should be a spec tag on the top of the front bearing housing. Right where you grease the front bearing. This will give you the stock info.
Ive seen peps rotate the whole bowl on the JC 90° to attach a droop or diverter.
Hope this helps.

Floored
07-05-2004, 08:30 AM
first with olds is intended usage. family cruising, tubing,skiing? stock works great to a point. ya wanna go fast, get out the checkbook.:pig_flyi: my olds is a middle ground that is reliable( change oil & set points) yet runs fairley healthy, but you could have built a BBC or BBF for less than is in mine and have more HP also. If mine eventually meets its demise then I'll probably do another olds the same, because of the reliability this setup has given me. Whatever engine you choose my advice is to do it one time right, much cheaper than doing it over. good luck

SDuster11
07-06-2004, 07:59 PM
Ok thanks but does anyone have any info on the cover or how to make one? Beside no one isn't possibly wanting to sell theirs or a spare im sure but if ya are....
But more importantly if anyone has made theirs please share the secrets or process. thanks

sweet41k
07-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Any good upholstery shop can make one. They used plywood and fiberglass to make mine, then upholstered it to match the interior. Mine is a 2-piece where the sides are all attached, but the top is removeable with velcro. My boat is a mid 70's Cheetah 22ft Daycruiser with a 455 Olds and Berkeley jet.

SDuster11
07-07-2004, 04:16 AM
Sweet41k,
Do you have anypics of your cover? Also how thick of plywood did you use? thanks