PDA

View Full Version : My Junk's... F'ed up!

HammerDown
07-04-2004, 04:49 AM
Ran it long and hard yesterday (kinda like my)... and towards the end of the day I was getting a slight miss, pop, stumple etc going on under engine load. Fuel psi good, pulled plugs (looked great)...got home did a compression test (thinking maybe a bad exhaust valve)...nope, all cylinders strong.
So for giggles I toss the dwell meter on it (yea I've got dual points) and the 1'st time in seven years the points were way off...hoping that was the cause.:rolleyes:

miketsouth
07-04-2004, 05:04 AM
points. POINTS?
One of the best things i ever did for any of my boat engines was get rid of the points.
Yes, they will seldom just quit on you in the middle of the water. They will warn you.
But when i am looking for that little stumble or pop or surging and i got points, I just cant get them out of my mind.
Actually i have had two electronic ignitions do the same thing, but it was my fault for not providing them the proper voltage at all times.

miketsouth
07-04-2004, 05:05 AM
and at least you had yours out. Some of us dont seem to be able to get up whatever it takes to get out.

Wet Dream
07-04-2004, 05:18 AM
Speak for yourself waxboy wannabe. :D

Wet Dream
07-04-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by HammerDown
thinking maybe a bad exhaust valve :rolleyes:
I don't think you want to go down that road again. ;)

miketsouth
07-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Wet Dream
Speak for yourself waxboy wannabe. :D
I'll never make it. I have studied under the Master now for some months. He is good. First thing i need is a garage.
This one amenity is good for at least 40 excuses, as well as studying that winter "blush" the special wax takes on.
I aint got one.
I got plenty of water nearby, so i got that. It is good for 10 excuses. Including the one yesterday "it was so perfect out there". (this one was provided to me by others).
I suppose if i got some powdercoated parts i could get at least 5 excuses from them inclucing "i think there might be a bubble in the powdercoat"
I did learn some good ones from him. I was trying to use this one today, but it might rain so i got it covered: "i would rather have studs than bolts in my exhaust manifold"
Yes, i have much improved, as evident by my lack of boating this season, but i dont think i well EVER catch up.

Wet Dream
07-04-2004, 06:20 AM
We had a great time on the water yesterday. Plenty of boating, perfect weather and great water temps. I even did a little skiing, but am now feeling it. Guess I don't use those muscles that often. The wife didn't want to pull me, so I got a couple of kids to drive my boat and pull me. They were thrilled. I pull one of them, then it was their turn to drive. Had a great time. Pulled off one race. You know you're more than welcome to come up here anytime and do a lot of boating. No excuses here. The only thing that keeps us off the water is rain. ;)

miketsouth
07-04-2004, 02:27 PM
I just had a thought, bro...it has to be the plug wires. That salt water at Harve did it.:D

Dr. Eagle
07-04-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by miketsouth
points. POINTS?
One of the best things i ever did for any of my boat engines was get rid of the points.
Being one that was always thought that new technology was suspect until proven.... I have to say that breakerless ignition, multi point fuel injection and all the other goodies on engines now are the way to go. The maintenance is nil...

HammerDown
07-04-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Being one that was always thought that new technology was suspect until proven.... I have to say that breakerless ignition, multi point fuel injection and all the other goodies on engines now are the way to go. The maintenance is nil...
I hear ya's...if in fact the ol dual point Mallory is the cause of this situation (1'st time in 7 Seasons) I may give into a MSD or what I would rather have the Crane HI-6.
True, the MSD Pro Billet Distributor is a great piece and would like to have it...BUT...those fancy boxes are so dam unpredictable:rolleyes: . My friends Marine MSD Box took a dump after a few hours:eek: It took several weeks plus shipping cost for them to finally say "we couldn't find anything wrong with it" (Bull sh*T)! He finally showed up at a big NHRA race and made his case at their Display Tent (around customers)...well MSD then swaped it with a new one to make him leave.
Plus there's the drama of where to put the dam thing.
If the dwell being off (or) maybe the condencer caused the slight pop,miss,stumble I'll be happy...as it didn't leave me stranded on the water.
Always a good day when ya make it back to the ramp:cool:

DansBlown73Nordic
07-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Sounds like a bad condensor.....;)

HammerDown
07-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Dans66Stevens
Sounds like a bad condensor.....;)
Could be, I thought they either worked or didn't, the engine did sound like it ate Mexican food.:p

DansBlown73Nordic
07-04-2004, 06:17 PM
That is true, however sometimes a condensor will break down from heat. For that matter a coil will do the same thing!

HammerDown
07-06-2004, 05:17 PM
New Points (thats right I said POINTS) are in, Condenser should be here tomorrow. I sure hope thats what the problem was.
But she sounds angry and ready to rip.:cool:

promod
07-06-2004, 06:11 PM
what is ponts oh yeah that's the old timey stuff i just remembered just kidding hammer lol
later
pro mod