PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bunks

david_396
07-05-2004, 07:56 AM
I have the boat off the trailer and was wondering if I need all four of the trailer bunks for a 18' sanger flat. The four bunks are 2"x6"s. I haven't seen other flat trailers with four bunks, just two. A weld is currenly broken on one front bunk support bracket, Need to replace carpet on bunks and was wondering if I could just remount/reposition two of the bunks. Any ideas and/or measurements between the two bunks for spacing. thanxs david

Bird Percher
07-05-2004, 08:20 AM
You can get away with just two bunks and place them under the stringers or as close to the stringers as possible.

Morg
07-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Dave,
Morg's theory, When I picked up my new project the factory bunks on the trailer were not under the stringers of the boat. I installed another set of bunks as close to the stringers as I could. (The strakes were a factor). So now I have 2 pair to support my light weight circle hull.
My thought is one pair is enough but they should be under the stringers. I just could not get mine directly under the stringers. With that said though, many of the old school flatty trailers have more than one pair, Just don't know why.

david_396
07-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Cool, bunks under the stringers it is. Makes sense, which my wife says I'm lacking by putting more money into the boat;). Two stingers, two bunks and two of them are already under the stringers and the one with a broken weld is one of the ones i can remove. And with only two bunks, i just cut my work in half by only having to recover two instead of four. Thanks for the quick reply. david

Cole Sanger
07-05-2004, 04:31 PM
David, how the hell are you? How's that thing coming along? I still have most of the parts if you need anything. Post some pictures if you get a chance. Cole

Cowboy Bob
07-12-2004, 07:52 AM
Saw this and thought I would toss in my .02 !
Learned this from Duane Bolton and his son Ron.......
DO NOT use carpet on the bunks!
Carpet traps sand and dirt when you launch your boat.
You effectively create a long sandpaper board over time that tears into the bottom while towing.
Use vinyl (Naugahyde) for this, the dirt floats right off with the Water.
Again, I cannot take credit for this wisdom, but it makes sense to me!

HotHallet
07-12-2004, 08:52 AM
When I restored my trailer last year I re-did the bunks and after I cut new wood I took the bunks and had them covered in Line-X spray on bedliner material to seal the wood. Then I carpeted them. This will prevent the wood from rotting or atleast slow the process down. Also ditch the lag screws. I used all stainless hardware and countersunk holes from the top of the wood for the bolts to go in from the top. They will never pull off that way!

david_396
07-12-2004, 03:50 PM
I wonder how strong the composite decking material is? or ir it is stong enough. It is used to replace a wood deck.

HM
07-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by HotHallet
When I restored my trailer last year I re-did the bunks and after I cut new wood I took the bunks and had them covered in Line-X spray on bedliner material to seal the wood. Then I carpeted them. This will prevent the wood from rotting or atleast slow the process down. Also ditch the lag screws. I used all stainless hardware and countersunk holes from the top of the wood for the bolts to go in from the top. They will never pull off that way!
Did you counter sink before or after the line-x?
Did you use kiln dried wood?
Did you glue or staple the carpet?
Did you use sleeves for the through bolts to eliminate compressing the wood too much?
Were you listening to AC/DC?
:D