PDA

View Full Version : fuel in oil

Nucking futs
07-05-2004, 06:59 PM
This summer is starting to bring me down.Fresh engine with 20 min on it.Ran it before i left for the river and when i get to the river it wont crank.HMMM dead bat?Nope brand new.Put a booster box on it same thing.Look on top of the manifold and there is gas all over it.Thought to myself where the hell did that come from.Pulled the dip stick and the crank case is full of gas,which really sucks cause i just did the oil change before i left to get all the assy. lube and check for metal shavings in the filters.So my question is how the hell did this happen?I ran the boat on the trailer for 10 min after the fresh oil change and it ran great.I have a holly elec fuel pump and if it was flooding it out or the floats got stuck you would think i would of noticed while checking everything out.any ideas on how or why?
The float levels on the bowls are set properly and the carb is a demon 850.I am stumped and it did finnaly start but with alot of fuel blowing out the exhaust and now im wondering if i hurt anything once it started.I did not run it more than 5 seconds and called it done crabbed the cooler and hit the beach and enjoyed watching all the boats go buy all day.any input would be helpfull.

Blown 472
07-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Did the pump stay on for some reason? key left on, short??
Is there a chuck of shit in the floats that would make it run over?

Fiat48
07-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Or too much fuel pressure knocked the needles and seats off. Check your fuel pressure and the needles and seats. If fuel pressure is o.k. (I'd say 6 to 7 lbs but some guys run more and get away with it) and you no dirt or anything in the needles and seats..then replace the needles and seats.
Probably another reason Gofastracer went injectors. I know it was for me. :D

Cs19
07-05-2004, 08:51 PM
I seriously doubt you hurt anything.
Pull off your scoop and turn on the fuel pump and look down the carbs, see what happens. If one side starts dumping fuel you have a carb issue.
I had a piece of red loctite stuck in my needle and seat and it was doing what i just described and the thing ran like shit, i cleaned out that needle and seat and it was dialed.
Ive heard that sometimes bumpy roads can be hard on carbs and they can cause floats to stick, maybe thats what happened..Im no expert, but I believe a stuck float has a differnt symptom than a clogged needle and seat.Should be easy to figure out whats up if its one of the 2.
Its weird that that much fuel got in the oil, how much fuel does it take to contaminate the oil? Just 2 float bowls worth or alot more? Also i hear you can bend (hydraliuc) something if its full of fuel and you try to lite it off.So be careful.
Also do you guys think its best to drain the bowls before you tow to the river?

Rexone
07-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Check all the things mentioned above and make sure you change the oil before running it. Fuel contaminated oil will wash the rings out then you'll be tearing the motor down.

repo man
07-05-2004, 09:40 PM
i had the same thing happen to me with a bg demon also a brand new motor. it seems that bg didn't drill one of the air bleeds on the top of the carb . when we turned on the fuel pump it would fill the float bowls then it would syphon out into the manifold. ofcourse i didn't notice it until the motor started .it ran for about 30 seconds then the gas inside the crankcase exploded . the ball of fire that came outblew all the hair off my face and out of my nose. needless too say i took the carb back to bg and they fixed it .

skeepwerkzaz
07-05-2004, 11:39 PM
A leaking diaphragm in your fuel pump (if it's mechanical) will fill the crankcase up quick!

Cs19
07-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by repo man
the ball of fire that came outblew all the hair off my face and out of my nose
:eek: Uh thats not good.

Nucking futs
07-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Well draind 5 gallons of gas and oil out of the engine and took the carb apart to find a peice of shit stuck to the needle and also my gas caps are not venting.So i think the heat and bumpy roads preserized the fuel system and pushed the fuel into the engine and now i have new fuel caps and a shut off valve so this cant happen again.wow what an expensive oil change.120 dollars later and the engine sound great and am going to drain the oil and change the filters one more time to make sure all the gas is out of the crank case.Thans to everyone that gave some insight..Tim