PDA

View Full Version : Pump Advice

Nordic Newbie
07-06-2004, 12:01 PM
I finally made it out with the new boat I purchased from NUBBS this weekend. I was wondering, typically on the Jet Skis I have owned in the past, after a run I would coat the impeller, inside of the pump and shaft with WD-40 to keep corrosion to a minimum. Is this necassary with the Jet on the boat as well or any other post use maintenance? Any feedback is appreciated.

sidewound
07-06-2004, 01:03 PM
Nice lookin boat! PREEEEETY:D
On my berk I grease the thrust bearing when I pull it out and top off the lube for the tail bearings before I go out. I've never sprayed the inside tho.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Nordic Newbie
07-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Sidewound,
Can you give me some insight on those two items? I haven't done anything since I have owned it, although this was my first trip out. I certainly don't want to run it dry. Any help is appreciated.

sidewound
07-06-2004, 08:41 PM
I'll give it a shot. I can't see the whole pump in the pic of your boat but it doesn't look like a berk bowl.
On my Berk bowl their are two grease zerks on the upper half of the bowl. I don't see any on yours. I use a good grade lower unit lube for mine. 80 wt. I think. I pump it in one side till it comes out the other. I think you can also use grease in it if you have problems with it holding the lube.
The thrust bearing is just aft of the packing gland and I use some grease I got from Duane. I give it a few shots when I am done for the day. I've been told it not only lubes the bearing but will help displace any water as well. Water plus rollers equals BAD!
PM me if I can be of any more help.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Nubbs
07-06-2004, 09:12 PM
NN,
The berkley pumps have 2 holes and fittings on the bowl to oil the tail bearings. The dominator pumps don't have that. The thrust bearing is lubed by the zerk (sp?) near the drive shaft.
Nubbs