PDA

View Full Version : Ribs are in the oven

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 02:21 PM
How long and what temp?:D
I put a little butrub on them;)

Scream
07-06-2004, 02:24 PM
2 racks only about 45 min to 1 hour high heat covered.
Then off to the Webber to finish off..

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 02:27 PM
K
Thanks!
:D

PlyaPlya22
07-06-2004, 02:32 PM
you guys better not be sitting next to each other. If so we know you are just trying to raise your post count!!:D

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 02:33 PM
LMAO!!!
No, he is at work....LOL;)

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Ribs in the oven!?! What is wrong with you people? Ribs are meant to go on the grill. The whole oven thing is a cheap shortcut compared to baby backs properly cooked ever so slowly over a low temp BBQ. Come on folks. Two and a half hours or so at around 275 on the grill will be much tastier.

PlyaPlya22
07-06-2004, 02:37 PM
HMMMM.......that would be a hell of a way to rack up some posts.

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 02:40 PM
Relax...............
I'm going to put them on the grill, in just a bit:D

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 02:42 PM
2 hours 300degrees take out brown on bbq coat with sweet baby rays bbq sauce.probaly have to cut the racks down since the meat is so tender it will fall off the bone if you try handling a whole rack.served up 15 racks a few weeks ago and there wasnt a rib left anywhere.(well except the half rack i hid when nobody was looking.

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Ok, now I am confused...............
Oven or BBQ?
Where is that poll button?!;)

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 02:45 PM
opps almost forgot wrap tight with foil before putting them in the oven.why set at a bbq for 2 hours when you can throw them in the over no baby sitting,cook in there own moisture and are as tender as anything you have ever had trust me on this.cooking ribs for hours on the bbq is great if you have nothing better to do with your time.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Man am I getting hungry.
<---- wants to go to boatnams house for dinner. I did ribs on the 4th. They were really tasty, but could have been a little more tender. Probably needed another 20 minutes on the grill. Oh well.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Never oven. That is just wrong.

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 02:47 PM
damm i keep forgetting everything also rub with salt, pepper and lawrys before putting in foil.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 02:48 PM
The "buttrub" is the right direction though. I ran out this weekend. That stuff is really good.

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 02:49 PM
I used Garlic Salt, Butt Rub, Lemon Pepper and Basil Leaves.
:D :D :D
(guess I better go cover them with foil):rolleyes:

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 02:55 PM
<---- takes it back. Boatnam is a cheater.
You don't need to sit over them. You just need to get a stable temp and go do something else. I am usually hanging out with friends when I cook ribs for a couple of hours. I also steam my ribs (beer and water) on my grill, but my grill is designed specifically to do this. Also add a little hickory smoke via wood chips.

Cole
07-06-2004, 02:57 PM
are you sure this is not in ...."code".....ribs in the oven????
is someone prego??....with baby.....expecting???
anything you need to tell us???:D

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 02:59 PM
I am going to BBQ them over charcoal....:D
LMAO!!!
If I am preggers......at my age............medical miracle....LOL:D

Scream
07-06-2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Cole
are you sure this is not in ...."code".....ribs in the oven????
is someone prego??....with baby.....expecting???
anything you need to tell us???:D
Oh hell no. We're done with that part of our lives...At this point it would be a miracle anyway...LOL
Scream <--- I sure would be if we were preggerss...

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by HUFFPOWER
:D go figure, cali's trying to cook bbq ribs ( pork or beef ) your first miskake is using the " oven" word, the second is , well using a gas grill, the best ribs are done in a "SMOKER", with falvored wood, slow cooked with special erb's and spices, properly rubbed down before cooking !!:D silly cali's....
Agreed, but smokers definitely need to be monitored very closely. I tossed mine years ago because I was tired of it. Gas is the next best thing if it is a high quality grill. Mine does indirect heat only. It's a Holland.
http://www.hollandgrill.com/ls_series/legacy_ls.html

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 03:03 PM
http://www.hollandgrill.com/ls_series/legacy_ls.html
Honey!!
We need one of these!;)

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Someone needs to resize their avatar...

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 03:06 PM
i use to stand over the bbq for hours but they were never even close to the first time i tryed them with the foil. the thng that absolutely sets them off is the sweet baby rays bbq sauce for baby backs never tasted anything close to it.im telling you the meat fall off tehbone and is very tender.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 03:09 PM
I'll look for that sauce at Safeway. They only sell by the case online and I really don't need 12 bottles of untried sauce.
http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 03:09 PM
well i wil say this if your not going to stand over a bbq at 200 degrees for 12 hours and want killer ribs in 2 1/2 hours i wil put mine up against anyones in a blind test.i grew up in carson which is next to compton so i have had a few good ribs in my time.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 03:11 PM
<---- thinking about a challenge just so he can eat other people's ribs... :D

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 03:13 PM
the funny thing is i use to tell the guys at work how to bbq ribs without using the oven it had to bbq only to get the best ribs keeping them moist with sauce all the way since the bbq dries them out.boy did i have to eat crow the day we cooked ribs at work(we have a bbq at work).now all 6 guys on my crew cook them the same way and we think were some great friggin bbqer.but its just the method and the sauce.

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 03:14 PM
staters carries near our house.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 03:16 PM
I have had oven ribs and they are OK, but can't compete with properly done BBQ'd ribs. I LOVE BBQ sauce, but it is more about the rub than the sauce. The rub permeates the meat. Sauce is surface only.

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 03:16 PM
make sure you get the original missb tryed slipping in some hickory a few weeks ago and it wasnt the same.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
make sure you get the original missb tryed slipping in some hickory a few weeks ago and it wasnt the same.
OK. Honey sounds attractive also. I really like sweet sauce.

Pointerman
07-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Gotta run for the night.
Debbolas,
Make sure you post how those ribs came out. Later.

boatnam2
07-06-2004, 03:23 PM
the original is really sweet gets like candy when done.yea i watched 4 hours of the food channel last week they were doing big bbq cook offs.and all the teams used a good rub.man those guys spend large amounts of time just to throw 6 ribs at a judge.pretty cool show.

PlyaPlya22
07-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Pointerman
<---- thinking about a challenge just so he can eat other people's ribs... :D
I can smoke a few slabs too now. I may have to jump in on this one. I like to use Gates BBQ Sauce from KC Missouri!

spute
07-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Relax...............
I'm going to put them on the grill, in just a bit:D
ok, should i bring wine or beer? and by the way, how do i get to your house?

PlyaPlya22
07-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I have had oven ribs and they are OK, but can't compete with properly done BBQ'd ribs. I LOVE BBQ sauce, but it is more about the rub than the sauce. The rub permeates the meat. Sauce is surface only.
i use a certain combination of wood when I cook mine and I actually smoke them in a barrell.

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 03:56 PM
My real challenge is the BBQ Beans, my friend Sheri makes the best BBQ beans with pineapple and brown sugar and onions and bacon. (She won't give me the recipie);)

NorCal Gameshow
07-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
i use to stand over the bbq for hours but they were never even close to the first time i tryed them with the foil. the thng that absolutely sets them off is the sweet baby rays bbq sauce for baby backs never tasted anything close to it.im telling you the meat fall off tehbone and is very tender.
sweet baby ray's is the shiznit....:) :) :)
damn, i'm hungry now...

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Gotta run for the night.
Debbolas,
Make sure you post how those ribs came out. Later.
Ok, lets all get together and cook some ribs!!

NorCal Gameshow
07-06-2004, 04:21 PM
I'll look for that sauce at Safeway. They only sell by the case online and I really don't need 12 bottles of untried sauce.
http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/
Ralphs' is the only place i've found it up here....

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 05:25 PM
The ribs were really good! My bbq beans were fair, not as good as Sheri's but I am getting close to her secret recipie....;) And fresh cole slaw(yum):D

JetBoatRich
07-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Ribs tonight for me as well:)

Debbolas
07-06-2004, 05:54 PM
It's Rib Night on Hot Boat!!!
LOL:D

Debbolas
07-07-2004, 01:51 PM
I think we should have a rib cook off at Clownpunchers Resturant..........;)

bchbum
07-07-2004, 03:30 PM
All these ribs & I 'm only going to bbq some tri-tips . Ribs this weekend then .

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-07-2004, 04:13 PM
is someone talking about ribs and BBQ beans, thats my department I'm all over that. I will have the meat falling off the bone they are so tender. :D

Cas
07-07-2004, 06:04 PM
boil the ribs in an amber ale for about 45 minutes before putting them over the coals..................YUMMMMMM!!!!!
been doing it for a couple of years now.
Oh yea, stab them a few times with a fork before boiling.

Debbolas
07-07-2004, 06:14 PM
That sounds really good....
I really think we should have a rib cook off
somewhere
sometime

clownpuncher
07-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
I think we should have a rib cook off at Clownpunchers Resturant..........;)
We can do that. :D

Debbolas
07-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Ok, check your schedules!!:D :cool: :D

Boozer
07-07-2004, 08:08 PM
check your pm deb

C-2
07-07-2004, 08:24 PM
mmmmmmmm...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1132ribs.jpg
An offset firebox smoker (New Braunfels - can now be found at Lowe's), 225 degrees for about 8 hours. Put the ribs on a rib rack and keep moist with apple juice every hour or so. Regular charcoal (lump is way overrated) and cherry/hickory chips.
Season the ribs a few hours before with the below rub, pull off the membrane with pliers. The rub is an award-winning rub - nice and zesty. Top off with your favorite sauce - I still like KC Masterpiece sweetened with honey, but Sweet Baby Ray's does kick ass too (buy plenty, their medicine sized bottles don't last long).
The below rub is my favorite on tri tip. Coat the whole roast with the rub and throw on the grill. DO NOT TRIM THE FAT CAP - it adds so much flavor when left alone, you can trim it away after it cooks. Costco practically shaves them clean of fat - and that's why they taste like shoe rubber. Dry and no flavor. Also, after cooking the whole tri tip - let it sit for at least 15 minutes before you slice it nice and thin, mix in a couple oftablespoons of sauce and ummmmmm ummmmm good.
Ribs in the oven or BBQ - I also do both. I prefer a quick boil and then top off on BBQ - just keep em out of the flames.
Smoked ribs are a whole different thing - but some people, like my wife, actually prefer regular BBQ style.
They're all good - and yes, I kinda like to cook. :D :D :D
Rib Rub
1 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Non-Iodized Table Salt
½ Cup Brown Sugar (Dried out lightly by exposing on cookie sheet room temp. several hours, or slightly warmed
5 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoons Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons + 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
4 Teaspoons MSG (Accent)
4 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
4 Teaspoons Black Pepper freshly ground (important)
4 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
4 Teaspoons Onion Powder

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Boozer
check your pm deb
Thank you!

19cobaltcd
07-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Have to agree with C-2. Offset firebox smoker is the only way to do meat. Dosent matter what kind, even the crappiest cut of meat is too good done properly in a smoker. Eating a Hobo done last night in the smoker. Too good for words, having to run off my co-workers wanting a bite. Only one point. Use charcoal to get it started then wood only. Any tree that bears fruit is good, try to find someone with a tree service and have them bring the scrap from fruit trees to ya. They normally throw it away anyway.

PlyaPlya22
07-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by 19cobaltcd
Have to agree with C-2. Offset firebox smoker is the only way to do meat. Dosent matter what kind, even the crappiest cut of meat is too good done properly in a smoker. Eating a Hobo done last night in the smoker. Too good for words, having to run off my co-workers wanting a bite. Only one point. Use charcoal to get it started then wood only. Any tree that bears fruit is good, try to find someone with a tree service and have them bring the scrap from fruit trees to ya. They normally throw it away anyway.
Sounds good! I prefer the combo of maple/hickory on the wood. Also, don't use the chips try bigger pieces off wood.:D

prosthogod
07-08-2004, 10:28 AM
C-2 knows what he's talking about. I prefer to purchase my rub from Neely's BBQ in Memphis,Tn. Rub them the night before. Smoke for ~3-4 hrs over lump charchoal and wood of your choice. Add a number of beers (in your stomach) along the way and life is good!

CAPTROBBY
07-08-2004, 10:43 AM
THERE IS ONLY ONE WAY TO COOK RIBS, ESPECIALLY BABY BACKS.
FIRST MIX UP A GOOD DRY RUB USING LIBERAL AMOUNTS OF THE FOLLOWING:
GARLIC POWDER
GARLIC SALT
SEASON PEPER OR MONTREAL STEAK SEASONING
SMART & FINAL BBQ SEASONING
MIX THE ABOVE AND COMPLETLY COAT THE RIBS, ALL SIDES.
FIRE UP THE BBQ, ALL BURNERS GET IT NICE AND HOT.
THEN TURN ALL BUT ONE BURNNER OFF, LEAVING IT ON VERY LOW.
PLACE THE RIBS ON A UPPER RACK ON THE OPISITE SIDE OF THE BURNNER THAT IS ON.
CLOSE THE LID AND LET THEM GO FOR AT LEAST 2 HOURS.
BASTE WITH CHIRS AND PITTS AND LET GO FOR 30 MORE MIN.
IF YOU APPLY THE BBQ SAUCE TOO EARLY THE RIBS WILL BURN.
I GUARENTEE THESE WILL BE THE BEST RIBS YOU HAVE EVR HAD..

HammerDown
07-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Your dam skippy about the above...yum-yum:cool: