PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Suggestions

bear down
07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
I really don't want to pay someone to do some re-wiring for me so I figure I would give it a shot! I am not bad with electronics I just wanted to get peoples opinions on the way my boat is set up and how I should wire the speakers to the amps. This is my boat speaker lay out. I just purchase two new Kicker amps to replace the single Rocksford Fosgate 4 channel amp. powering all 8 6x9's. I was thinking of running the more powerful amp to the front 4 speakers and then the lower power amp to the rear 4 speakers.
I have two Marine Deep Cycle batteries (interstate) besides adding more batt's to the boat is there a way to make the amps draw less power from the batteries? I have a seperate switch that will kill the amp that controls the subs so I can just listen to the 6x9's only and save some juice
Thanks for all of your help.

ROZ
07-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by bear down
I really don't want to pay someone to do some re-wiring for me so I figure I would give it a shot! I am not bad with electronics I just wanted to get peoples opinions on the way my boat is set up and how I should wire the speakers to the amps. This is my boat speaker lay out. I just purchase two new Kicker amps to replace the single Rocksford Fosgate 4 channel amp. powering all 8 6x9's. I was thinking of running the more powerful amp to the front 4 speakers and then the lower power amp to the rear 4 speakers.
I have two Marine Deep Cycle batteries (interstate) besides adding more batt's to the boat is there a way to make the amps draw less power from the batteries? I have a seperate switch that will kill the amp that controls the subs so I can just listen to the 6x9's only and save some juice
Thanks for all of your help.
I guess I'll give it a go.... Why 2 different amps? Why not 2 600.4's? I'd put the amps to the 4 speakers that coincide with the RMS ratings of the amp. In other words if the side speakers can handle the RMS rating of the 800.4, run them off it. Do the opposite if it applies.
easy way to control amp draw is to keep the finger off the volume "up" button :D Seperate remote on works, too :D
Since you're worried about amp draw, why not switch the PPi out for a D class amp for the subs?

bear down
07-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
I guess I'll give it a go.... Why 2 different amps? Why not 2 600.4's? I'd put the amps to the 4 speakers that coincide with the RMS ratings of the amp. In other words if the side speakers can handle the RMS rating of the 800.4, run them off it. Do the opposite if it applies.
easy way to control amp draw is to keep the finger off the volume "up" button :D Seperate remote on works, too :D
Since you're worried about amp draw, why not switch the PPi out for a D class amp for the subs?
I purchased a larger amp because (forgot to mention) the rear 6x9's have a higher RMS rating.. Thanks for your input.

Havasu Hangin'
07-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Hmmm....a schematic, eh?
Wiring stuff is really easy...just make sure the connections are good...and the wire bundles are nice and tight. Also, keep the wires away from heat sources (including amps)...it'll save some headache down the road.
It sounds like you have the 8 channels laid out. What are you going to drive the subs with?

bear down
07-07-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Hmmm....a schematic, eh?
Wiring stuff is really easy...just make sure the connections are good...and the wire bundles are nice and tight. Also, keep the wires away from heat sources (including amps)...it'll save some headache down the road.
It sounds like you have the 8 channels laid out. What are you going to drive the subs with?
I have a 3rd 2 channel PPI Amp running the 2 Subs.

Havasu Hangin'
07-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by bear down
I have a 3rd 2 channel PPI Amp running the 2 Subs.
Well...just make sure you have thick enough power/ground for all those amps. I like to use good fuse and distribution blocks, too. Overkill everything and you won't have to touch it later.
I like Roz's idea with the class d...but it's not my money.

ROZ
07-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Well...just make sure you have thick enough power/ground for all those amps. I like to use good fuse and distribution blocks, too. Overkill everything and you won't have to touch it later.
Also make sure to run a relay for the remote turn-on.... Now that you're adding another amp, your headunit will likely not trigger all your amps. Also, you could fry the remote turnon by trying it without it. Bosch relay is about 3.00 ....