PDA

View Full Version : Info in paper today regarding boating accident

hd&boatrider
07-07-2004, 07:33 AM
In the OC Register today there is an article on page 4 of the local section about the accident that killed Jonathan and Jacquel Herbert as well as Ashley Rollins. Grier Rush faces up to 14 years in prison for the Sept 19th crash. He pleaded no contest to criminal charges and they dropped the fleeing the scene of an accident charge via plea bargain.
Don't know the whole story but I hope he serves all 14 years...probably will serve a lot less.
Wayne and Jana I agree with your statement in the paper that he did not accept full responsibility for his actions.
I hope that everything is going as well as could be expected for you under these horrible circumstances.

LHC30Victory
07-07-2004, 07:43 AM
can you give a link to the article? Would like more info - I don't remember which accident this was.

hd&boatrider
07-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by LHC30Victory
can you give a link to the article? Would like more info - I don't remember which accident this was.
Here is a link but I think you need to sign up to actually read it...http://ocregister.com/ocr/2004/07/07/sections/local/
It was the accident last year in Parker that killed the three teenagers I listed above in my earlier post.

dossangers
07-07-2004, 07:51 AM
I just hope everybody takes a step back and thinks about safety!Me and my family grew up on the water everything i did was about safety. You here about accidents and never think it can happen to you then all of a sudden your life is changed FOREVER!DO NOT DRINK A DROP AND DRIVE A BOAT!!!!!! Its a RULE i adhere to and did jonathan he was a victom of BOATS AND ALCOHOL DONT MIX!! If you think you can drive impaired your WRONG!!! Whatever the outcome in court me and janas hearts are torn out!!!! I dont want to read about anymore boating accidents!!!! If anything comes out of this i hope people think about being responsible for there actions and how much pain you can inflict on somebody im an EXAMPLE. Wayne& Jana Herbert

SILVERWING
07-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
In the OC Register today there is an article on page 4 of the local section about the accident that killed Jonathan and Jacquel Herbert as well as Ashley Rollins. Grier Rush faces up to 14 years in prison for the Sept 19th crash. He pleaded no contest to criminal charges and they dropped the fleeing the scene of an accident charge via plea bargain.
Don't know the whole story but I hope he serves all 14 years...probably will serve a lot less.
Wayne and Jana I agree with your statement in the paper that he did not accept full responsibility for his actions.
I hope that everything is going as well as could be expected for you under these horrible circumstances.
THE DRIVER THAT WAS KILLED DIDN'T HE HAVE BLOOD ACH LEVEL OF.06 OR I MAY BE WRONG

hd&boatrider
07-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by SILVERWING
THE DRIVER THAT WAS KILLED DIDN'T HE HAVE BLOOD ACH LEVEL OF.06 OR I MAY BE WRONG
It did not mention any alcohol involvement in the article.

LHC30Victory
07-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Dossangers - I have to say that I am embarrassed about not remembering your tragedy and connecting the names of your children to it. Although I/we have not met you or your family, it is clear that all of you are well thought of and respocted by those who have had the pleasure of your company.
If it matters any, we have taken these incidents to heart and have changed our habits.

JetBoatRich
07-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by LHC30Victory
If it matters any, we have taken these incidents to heart and have changed our habits.
Sure wish more would:confused: I still see a few boaters who continue to down beer like it is water.:eek: then take off driving their boat:mad:

GASHGAZER
07-07-2004, 08:33 AM
.06 is more than 0.00!! If any of you carry a breathalizer on your boat (we have it for novelty), at .06 I know I feel quite buzzed an unable to operate the boat... therefor simple rule NO BOTTLE TO THROTTLE!!! My heart goes out to the families of these sad stories, on or off the water.

superdave013
07-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Let's don't try and guess what Jonathan Herbert was doing (drinking or otherwise). He is gone now and can not tell us the real story.
Lets just remember this as a terrible accident and try to learn a few things from it.
Just go back and read Dossanger's (Jonathan's farther) post and take it to heart.
That could have been any one of us in that boat that day.
This whole deal just rips me up every time I think about it.

syke-o
07-07-2004, 08:46 AM
i work with a woman who's close with the young man who survived the terrible accident. She said he doesnt remember anything from the accident and seems to be doing ok now. He has some scars on his head but is otherwise doing ok. The accident was probably the worst i have ever heard of, but i am not sure if alcohol was involved or just plain bad driving. Either way, I feel terrible for the loss inflicted on Wayne and Jana.

dossangers
07-07-2004, 09:16 AM
For the RECORD Jonathan had ''0'' alcohol in his blood and grier fled !!! figure it out!!!

Dan Lorenze
07-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Boating has a bad reputation when it comes to alcohol. The river is now a scary place to go to on weekends and holidays. I'm afraid to take my family to Havasu in fear of some drunk running into my boat, these discussion boards look more like accident reports than boating threads.. I'm I guilty of drinking beer and driving my boat? You bet.. I have always felt under control, but still that's no excuse....It looks like we all need to cut it back... What doesn't help is when you see photos of boats with beer bongs on ***boat.com, I'm surprised that members don't give other members a hard time for that.. I know it's a free country but those are the people I'm scared of at the river..
Dan

Debbolas
07-07-2004, 09:18 AM
I am so sorry for your loss.
Please accept my condolences.
Deb

Boatcop
07-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Wayne is correct that Jonathan had 0 alcohol in his system. Alcohol was not a factor on the part of the Herbert boat. Rush, however is another story. Only he and the scum that secreted him out of there know the truth about that. Jonathan, Jaquel, and Ashley didn't get the choice of not having their blood tested.
Now we have to ensure that Rush get's the maximum sentence available under the law.
To add a footnote to this case, and my feelings for plea bargains, another one was reached in the case of Jeffery Hewlett who ran over a PWC, killing the driver, and then fleeing the scene. This happened 4th of July weekend 2003 near Parker Dam.
He was intitially charged with 16 various counts, including OUI, Child Endangerment, Endangerment, Manslaughter, and fleeing the scene.
He also plead "No Contest". To one count of Negligent Homicide. The sentence range is 1.5 to 5, with a presumptive sentence of 3 years. What pisses me off, is that because of no Criminal Record, Probation is available.
You can rest assured that I will be in court for both of these sentencing hearings, and my feelings on the subject will have been made to the Judge and the Probation Department. (They do the background investigation and prepare the sentencing report, which acts to guide the Judge when pronouncing sentence.)
Give-away plea deals are all to common in this County. I realize that they are a necessary evil in the Criminal Justice system, but some of these are just ridiculous.
I, and my friends, co-workers, and associates will have those plea deals (and others) in the forefront of our minds when we walk into the voting booth in November to mark the ballot for COunty Attorney.

HavasuDreamin'
07-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Boatcop
To add a footnote to this case, and my feelings for plea bargains, another one was reached in the case of Jeffery Hewlett who ran over a PWC, killing the driver, and then fleeing the scene.
He was intitially charged with 16 various counts, including OUI, Child Endangerment, Endangerment, Manslaughter, and fleeing the scene.
He also plead "No Contest". To one count of Negligent Homicide. The sentence range is 1.5 to 5, with a presumptive sentence of 3 years. What pisses me off, is that because of no Criminal Record, Probation is available.
Now that is messed up! Period. I don't care who you are. To possibly get off with probation for running over someone while intoxicated is just F'd up.
I don't envy your position boat cop........you have quite possibly the most frustrating job out there.
My condolences to all the victims and their families of tragedies such as these.
HD

unleashed
07-07-2004, 10:42 AM
Sad story for sures. I have not forgotten this tragedy and never will. Doss, you and your family will always be in our prayers.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Lady Rat Attack 1
07-07-2004, 11:37 AM
Dossangers, I remember all to well what happened and I think about your loss almost daily. It just tears me up when i think about your loss. My prayers are with you always:frown:

Ducatista
07-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by dossangers
For the RECORD Jonathan had ''0'' alcohol in his blood and grier fled !!! figure it out!!!
Geez, I remember this tragedy. I am saddened again by this reminder. It's hard to believe, but his fleeing the sceen will save him alot of jail time because of the plea-bargin in the long run. You would hope that would have made things worse for him, but it may not. Like you said, you're kids didn't have the choice to "not be tested". THAT SUCKS! & I hope this guy spends time in jail, and you get the best from the court on this case. Take care dossangers and good luck in the future.

Seadog
07-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Accidents happen, but drinking and driving is murder in my eyes. If you flee the scene of an incident, My feeling is that it should automatically elevate the charge to murder one. Unfortunately, putting drunk drivers in prison is counterproductive. There should be some means to keep them earning money, but not allow them to enjoy the benefits of life.

Ziggy
07-07-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Wayne is correct that Jonathan had 0 alcohol in his system. Alcohol was not a factor on the part of the Herbert boat. Rush, however is another story. Only he and the scum that secreted him out of there know the truth about that. Jonathan, Jaquel, and Ashley didn't get the choice of not having their blood tested.
Now we have to ensure that Rush get's the maximum sentence available under the law.
To add a footnote to this case, and my feelings for plea bargains, another one was reached in the case of Jeffery Hewlett who ran over a PWC, killing the driver, and then fleeing the scene. This happened 4th of July weekend 2003 near Parker Dam.
You can rest assured that I will be in court for both of these sentencing hearings, and my feelings on the subject will have been made to the Judge and the Probation Department. (They do the background investigation and prepare the sentencing report, which acts to guide the Judge when pronouncing sentence.)
Give-away plea deals are all to common in this County. I realize that they are a necessary evil in the Criminal Justice system, but some of these are just ridiculous.
I, and my friends, co-workers, and associates will have those plea deals (and others) in the forefront of our minds when we walk into the voting booth in November to mark the ballot for COunty Attorney.
BoatCop,
If Grier had stuck around and had no prior convictions would he stand a lesser or greater charge? If I read your comment right he would be better off himself had he boned up and stuck around???It certainly doesn't feel right to have people that killed be given these easy paths considering the outcome for the innocent...:( :(
Dossangers, I feel great pain for you and I wish you all the best.
Boat Smart folks......for everyones sake.

uclahater
07-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy
BoatCop,
If Grier had stuck around and had no prior convictions would he stand a lesser or greater charge? If I read your comment right he would be better off himself had he boned up and stuck around???It certainly doesn't feel right to have people that killed be given these easy paths considering the outcome for the innocent...:( :(
Dossangers, I feel great pain for you and I wish you all the best.
Boat Smart folks......for everyones sake.
What about the fact that if Grier stuck around maybe he could have saved a life or 2 I wasnt there I dont know, but if are courts let a scum bag like this walk then weve got issues.
IM so pissed write now that they would even offer him a plea bargin thats BULLSHIT:mad: :mad: This is a man that left the scene of a crime where people were killed what is there to plea?
Wayne I feel for you and your wife and hope that justice is served if not upon this life than upon the next:mad:

HavasuDreamin'
07-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Not to mention the fact that his BAC could have been .15.........No one knows because he left.

unleashed
07-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Was there ever a final outcome of how the accident occured?? It seems they were both experienced drivers??? Lastly I agree NEVER run from a scene of an accident, you might be able to SAVE someones life. Be a freaking HUMANBEING and take responsibility for your actions whether you've been drinking or not!:mad:
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Boatcop
07-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Now that the criminal matter is concluded (except for sentencing) I'd like to be able to tell you all the details of the investigation. But there are still matters pending, that force me to stay silent on it.
As soon as I'm premitted to talk about the case, rest assured you will know everything.

RiverToysJas
07-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by unleashed
Be a freaking HUMANBEING and take responsibility for your actions whether you've been drinking or not!:mad:
Amen Brother!!!
People need to be accountable for their actions - PERIOD!!!
RTJas :(