PDA

View Full Version : carb rebuild

dtr352
07-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for a holley dominator carb. I need everything gaskets o rings and maybe floats. I am not sure of the carb size or even where to look. It came off a teague custom marine 620hp motor. This is the second time the carb will be rebuilt in the last three years. Is this normal. Both times it has been due to a gass leak from the rear float bowl. Why has this happened twice. st like always I need the parts quick because I am going back to Havasu in two weeks. If anyone else has had this problem or knows a reliable source for parts let me know.

Hotcrusader76
07-07-2004, 01:26 PM
Give us a call. We've got a very thorough rebuild kit with the better race gaskets for your Dominator.
As far as rebuilding within 3 years, that's normal. If your carb sits over the winter then your time is deminished. I normally recommend rebuilds every 2 years on Marine set-ups.
~Ty
877-TPC-CARB

Hallett19
07-07-2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah, go with 76 Crusader, he built a kick ass carb for me. Hey Ty, can I run AV gas with my carb ? Someone was telling me the gaskets will decide weather you can or not. I think mine are the blue ones. Its not like I need to run AV gas, but I wanted to crank my timing one of these days for a top speed run.

LakesOnly
07-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Hallett19
Yeah, go with 76 Crusader, he built a kick ass carb for me. Hey Ty, can I run AV gas with my carb ? Someone was telling me the gaskets will decide weather you can or not. I think mine are the blue ones. .
I'm having no trouble with my carbs & AvGas.
LO

Hotcrusader76
07-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Hallet19 & LakesOnly...
Your gaskets should hold just fine with an AV gas blend the same as LakesOnly set-up I built last year. I use a new gasket exclusively on all of my carburetors as of January 1st this year. It's a Fluorocarbon coated design that's thicker and more robust in design. This was move was targeted for the alcohol cliental and since the results were impressive I decided to use them for all carburetors.
The Fluorocarbon "Green" gasket is similar to the "Purple" version that's floating around out there from Braswell and shares the same methanol resistant characteristics as well as the thicker dimensions for enhanced sealing. Not so much a problem with Gas as it is the alcohol guys whom tear their carbs apart all the time for preventive maintenance...but wouldn't constant preventive maintenance parallel the summer Marine boater as well? I think so.
~Ty

Fiat48
07-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Is there an "improved" needle valve that goes under the shooters that prevents sticking as some needle valves do?

Hotcrusader76
07-07-2004, 09:50 PM
The needles we use have the "brown" o-ring gasket around it, inherent to the 0.120" and 0.130". This particular needle has worked flawlessly for us since we started using them last Fall. The better needles have the larger seats (where the point meets the float) compared to the pencil thin versions which often cause problems.
The Titanium alcohol versions have a few different variations, some being adjustable and some having a more pronounced crown to the tip, which allows more fuel pressure without needle flutter for the belt drive fuel pumps.
Does that answer your question?
Basically the black O-ring designs, common to the 0.110" often have problems sealing and the slightest of contamination will render it useless until you clean it out. Some of last yearÂ’s carbs and all of the 2004 TPC models come with the 0.120" for longevity and reliability reasons, despite the fuel flow requirements. The street guys and a few small block Marine set-ups will get the 0.110" needle but only from one reliable source I've nailed down.
~Ty

Fiat48
07-07-2004, 09:56 PM
I mean the little check valve needles that go under the pump squirters. Underneath the pump nozzle screw.
Edit: Think I found them here. Called pin type check valve. http://www.braswell.com/prod_catalogs/s_duty/sd_accel.htm

Hotcrusader76
07-08-2004, 12:19 AM
The Zinc plated version is standard among most carb builders these days. Matter of fact Braswell manufacturers them for just about everybody and their mother. I never used the S.S. yet as I believe it's overkill....being that new Zinc versions are installed on a routine rebuild/overhaul anyhow so why have a component that falls out of that catagory.
Nevertheless these needle style are standard.
http://www.braswell.com/images/prod_catalogs/sd/accel_pump/pin_chk_valve.gif

dtr352
07-10-2004, 02:15 PM
I have the carb basically back together now so far with no problems. I guess we won't know until I turn the key. I do have two more questions though. This ruber plug in the float bowl. Should i cut the tip off. The one I pulled out wasn't this long. Was it cut allready. It seems to me that it would disrupt the floats but I don't want to ruin it and have to try and find another one. My second question is how should the floats be adjusted. This is my first rebuild on any auto/ marine carb. Is there any tricks I should know about. What should I look for. Thanks for all the help so far. When I went to teague for parts and a little info they told me any rebuild kits would be six to eight weeks out. You have already saved me a lot of time.

dtr352
07-11-2004, 05:41 PM
come on guys. I know somebody can help me out.

Fiat48
07-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Yes you can cut it off. And the way i set floats is to invert the bowl (180 degrees from the position of your picture) and set the float basically level. You should be able to see about 3/4 of those float screws.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=785331

Infomaniac
07-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
Yes you can cut it off. And the way i set floats is to invert the bowl (180 degrees from the position of your picture) and set the float basically level. You should be able to see about 3/4 of those float screws.
I do the same thing. A 7/16 drill bit between the float and bowl or just eyeball it level.

Hotcrusader76
07-12-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by dtr352
When I went to teague for parts and a little info they told me any rebuild kits would be six to eight weeks out. You have already saved me a lot of time.
Not a problem. Glad I was able to promptly help you out. I trust everything arrived ok then. Call me up if you have any questions or concerns on getting that Dominator back together.
~Ty

dtr352
07-19-2004, 01:57 PM
I just want to say thanks to everyone for helping me out. Just got back from the lake and the boat ran great. Ty at TPC you rule thanks alot.