PDA

View Full Version : Computer is dying!

OGShocker
07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
I need a new laptop.. looking for geek help here..
Here are two I am looking at buying, Laptop one (http://expressnotebook.com/proddetail.asp?category=Laptop&subcat=&linenumber=174)
Or
number two (http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=8794)
They are a lot alike and priced close enough. Heck, I think they are the same units.

GlastronGuy
07-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Dell will be around to honor the warranty. Will the others?

Debbolas
07-07-2004, 02:23 PM
I have a Dell Inspiron 1100
Scream has a "nicer" Dell Inspiron 5150
:D

Mrs. Restless22
07-07-2004, 02:32 PM
One word...
DELL :D

txtaz
07-07-2004, 02:48 PM
I would have said Dell until I bought my Toshiba. I program for a living and this thing is awsome. I'm not sure the brand matters other than service or rebates, just make sure you get an intell chip, you will have fewer problems.

GlastronGuy
07-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by txtaz
I would have said Dell until I bought my Toshiba. I program for a living and this thing is awsome. I'm not sure the brand matters other than service or rebates, just make sure you get an intell chip, you will have fewer problems.
What type of problems are they having with non Intel chips?

Lake Pirate
07-07-2004, 02:59 PM
[WIDE GRIN]
You Just Might Be A Hi-Tech Redneck
If your email address ends in ".over.yonder.com"
If you connect to the World Wide Web via a "Down Home Page"
And if the bumper sticker on your truck says "My other computer is a laptop"
You just might be a Hi-Tech Redneck!
Now, if your laptop has a sticker that says "Protected by Smith and Wesson"
If you've ever doubled the value of your truck by installing a cellular phone
Or if your baseball cap reads "DEC" instead of "CAT"
It could be that you are a Hi-Tech Redneck.
If your computer is worth more than all your trucks combined.
And if your wife said "either she or the computer had to go"...and you still don't miss her
Or, if you've ever used a CD-ROM as a coaster for your beer
You're more than likely a Hi-Tech Redneck.
Now, if you ever refer to your computer as "Ole Bessy"
Or, if your screen saver is a bitmap image of your favorite truck, tractor, or farm animal
And if you start all your emails with the words "Howdy y'all"
Now, if your spell checker knows words like "Y'all", "Yonder", and "Reckon"
And if your cars sit in the yard because your garage is full of dead CPU's, Printers, Modems, and Monitors
Or if your belt buckle is made from a dead 3.5" Hard drive
Then you are DEFINITELY a Hi-Tech Redneck!
..... If you have found yourself calling all the local software vendors to see
if they still sell the Daisy Duke Screensaver collection...
...If your PC Games collection consists of nothing but Bass Fishing tournament games....
...If you've ever tried to return your computer because you feared it was "gay"
when somebody suggested you defrag your harddrive....
If you bought a laptop so you can read Reader's Digest through the
Internet while in the outhouse....
Face it...Then you ARE a Hi-Tech Redneck...!!

v-drive
07-07-2004, 03:12 PM
If you don't buy a Toshiba buy a Dell. My daughter just bought a dell laptop and I have to admit it is really good. I'm used to sony's but they can't hold a candle to the dell....v-drive

GlastronGuy
07-07-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by ShockwaveBob
Yes, if you're looking for last year's (or two year's ago), unupgradeable technology, by all means, buy a Dell. ;)
If you want to upgrade a laptop, go Alienware.
http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_gaming.aspx

Tom Brown
07-07-2004, 03:28 PM
We use Dell, IBM, and Toshiba at work. I know a couple of people who have eMachines laptops also. Mine is an IBM. They all seem pretty good to me. I like the eMachines stuff the best and it's cheap from TigerDirect but the Dell/IBM/Toshiba stuff we have is pretty good too.
The biggest problem with IBM is when the batteries go to crap... and they will... the price of IBM parts is stupid. Replacing LCDs is the same thing. I'd probably stay away from IBM for that reason.
There are a lot of good laptops out there. :cool:

skippy Mcgee
07-07-2004, 03:34 PM
If you don't care about price and want high performance take a look at VoodooPC. I would also consider the new Mobile AMD64 chip. This chip will be great for software that is coming out in the near future (Windows 64).

Lake Pirate
07-07-2004, 03:55 PM
http://www.johnnysjokes.com/images/pictures/categories/Computer/redneck_laptop.jpg

Cheap Thrills
07-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
If you want to upgrade a laptop, go Alienware.
http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/notebook_gaming.aspx
I agree , ! Clevo makes over 80% of the laptops on the market .
C.T. :wink:

bigq
07-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Never much cared for prostar, have used some boards with ill effect. Dell is a bore, so I say Alienware (gaming with optional wide 16")or Sagers, heard good things never used one though.

Dr. Eagle
07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
OG, I will second what Tom Brown says about emachines. I have their model 5410 and so does my dad. I bought mine a year ago and (knock on wood) not a problem yet. My dad bought his a month after I did and same situation. Great solid machine, lots of features and a very attractive price.
emachine laptop (http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6810)
I have had Dell, Compaq, IBM, Three Toshibas, Sony and an HP and had issues with each one of them.
None so far on my emachines. And I was using it as a combo work/home computer so I was pretty hard on it. Took it in the field, hauled it all over the country, still runs like new.

mtndewdrops
07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
I have had a DELL 410 workstation with dual Pentium processors running a high end CAD system for over 6 years and only called service once. It was my mistake for installing imcompatible software.
Bought my kids another DELL last Christmas and no problems.
The nice thing is that they mirror the hard drive with the installed software so if you get it screwed up you can reboot it back to the way it was on day one... right out of the box.

HCS
07-07-2004, 09:07 PM
DELL

OGShocker
07-08-2004, 06:15 AM
Thank you for all the help.
SwB, I am going with Segar 17.4 inch Sager 8790-V. I need a full keyboard with the 10 key. It is the best way for me to grind numbers. Plus they are on my way home!:D
RP, Your jacking of this thread added as much substance as most of the other bile you type.
Thanks again everyone.....else:D