PDA

View Full Version : Danger in exposure to the sun

Mohavekid
07-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Just a word of advice and caution to my fellow boaters. be careful of how much you tan or sunburn.
I just got the news from my dermatologist yesterday, I have skin cancer, specifically Stage 1 Melanoma on my chest.
I'm not quite 40 which is fairly young for this type of thing. My dermatologist attributes it to damage caused by exposure to the sun. I am lucky, it was caught very early, and I should be OK with just a excision of the mole and the cancer.
I am a life long boater and have been going to the river since I was born. I remember many sunburns as a child and even more as an "invincable" teenager and young adult. I never realized that a sunburn was anything more that some pain that would go away in a day or two.
I have had to learn this lesson the hard way. I know it's not "cool" but some of this stuff can save your life.
If you're going to be out in the sun,
1. Buy and use sunscreen with a minimum SPF rating of 15.
2. Wear a wide brimed hat and sunglasses.
3. Wear a shirt preferrably with a dark color and a tight weave in the fabric.
4. Check yourself regularly for changes in moles or spots on your skin.
5. If you suspect anything, see your doctor or dermatologist to have it checked.
Skin cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers and one that spreads very quickly if not noticed soon enough.
For more info, go here http://www.mpip.org/

Dr. Eagle
07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Been there, done that ...... got the scars to prove it. ALways wear a dark tee shirt and 35 to 50 SPF sunscreen, stay under the bimini or canopy, and wear a hat. After having about an 18mm circle removed from my back, I watch it.

Debbolas
07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I know, I know............I make my dermo appointments during the winter when I am pale......Hope you feel better soon!
;)

Dr. Eagle
07-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
I know, I know............I make my dermo appointments during the winter when I am pale......Hope you feel better soon!
;)
Sometimes being white REALLY sucks... Especially after having 15 moles removed over the years... one of them a Mellinoma...

RiverToysJas
07-07-2004, 07:56 PM
I'm actually getting more conserned about this all the time. I had a lot of sun burns and dark tans when I was a kid. Now in my mid-30s, I am very aware that Skin Cancer is a leading cause of death in my demographic. :(
Coppertone Sport SPF 30 is always on board the Lavey these days. I'm just hoping they don't find suntan lotion gives you cancer!!! :eek:
RTJas :D

Boozer
07-07-2004, 08:01 PM
You dont have to be old to get skin cancer.
Most of you seen the pictures of my surgery. I have a nice scar about 9" long on my neck from removing skin cancer. Fortunately it wasnt mellinoma but rather a carcenoma. Regardless I have been very careful and if you seen me in havasu you'd realize just how careful. My face and arms are tanned the rest of me is pastey white. I'd rather look funny then be dead. I use SPF 50 baby magic sunscreen.
And I'm 23. So you dont have to be old.

jm2drvr
07-07-2004, 08:11 PM
had a good size chunk taken out of my back a couple of weeks ago, have to go back and get double the size taken out again next week...hopefully they will get it all this next time. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have always been religious about the lotion, staying in shade whenever possible, and puting the bimini up.

Dr. Eagle
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by jm2drvr
had a good size chunk taken out of my back a couple of weeks ago, have to go back and get double the size taken out again next week...hopefully they will get it all this next time. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have always been religious about the lotion, staying in shade whenever possible, and puting the bimini up.
Thats just the way it happened to me. He took a mole off plus about 4mm around... called me back a week later and took another 10mm (as I recall) all the way around it.

Kilrtoy
07-07-2004, 08:38 PM
What does mellinoma look like:confused:

bigq
07-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Found this article on a cancer site, kinda interesting. Are all you guys out in the sun a lot and not just the river? Just curious, what skin tone are you guys, have lots of mold, dark hair or light.
Scientists Make Hot Discovery
Spicy Chilies May Stop Skin Cancer Growth
Exposing skin cancer cells to the chemical capsaicin, which gives chili peppers their spicy flavor, caused the cells to stop growing and eventually die, according to a recent Journal of the National Cancer Institute report written by Drs. Reuben Lotan and Numsen Hail in M. D. Anderson’s Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology.
The researchers reported that capsaicin and a related compound derived from a tree interfere with the cancer cells' ability to use oxygen. The oxygen-deficient cells then commit cellular suicide, called apoptosis. The natural product capsaicin is currently used in creams and ointments to relieve pain and inflammation. It is also used to treat psoriasis and herpes.
Dr. Lotan studied capsaicin's effects on squamous cell carcinoma, a type of skin cancer. The scientists applied the chemical for 30 minutes and then measured the ability of laboratory skin cells to use oxygen, particularly in the mitochondria, the cell's powerhouse and energy factory. When the researchers examined the cancer cells' response, they determined the cells had stopped growing and had entered into a cycle that leads to death.
Dr. Lotan points out that the concentration of capsaicin that was effective in killing skin cancer cells is eight to 25 times lower than that now used in topical creams, making it a good candidate for use in a cream or patch to prevent or treat skin cancer. The study was funded in part by grants from the National Cancer Institute.

Dr. Eagle
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Just imagine what it does to the lining of your stomach!!!!

Kilrtoy
07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Just imagine what it does to the lining of your stomach!!!!
Forget the stomach, what about the exit......

RiverToysJas
07-07-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Forget the stomach, what about the exit......
Don't worry about that, it already has a hole in it! ;) :p
RTJas :D

Misogynist
07-07-2004, 09:19 PM
I'm one of those poor fair skinned easily burn types... I have actinic kerotosis removed from my face on a regular basis (scaly red spots).. and have a scar the size of a quarter on my right shoulder where basal cell carcinoma was removed.. I probably now need the same thing done on the other shoulder.... I was never a "sun worshipper"... but my face really got burned to a crisp many times skiing. I used to ski 30 days a year. My dermatologist lectures me all the time about sun screen... I have to remind her that the damage I have was caused years before there was such a thing as "sun screen".

GlastronGuy
07-07-2004, 09:32 PM
If you mean melanoma:
http://www.secpre.org/intervenciones%20quirurgicas/cirugia%20plastica%20reconstructiva/melanoma.gif

Misogynist
07-07-2004, 09:49 PM
This is what basal cell carcinoma looks like... it is easily removed and doesn't spread like melanoma...

Boozer
07-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Misogynist
This is what basal cell carcinoma looks like... it is easily removed and doesn't spread like melanoma...
For some reason this computer wont let me copy and paste. So I cant post the image but if you go into the imagew center and search under boozer you can see what the aftermath of skin cancer looks like. I have a pretty wicked scar from the skin cancer. The shit sucks.
I guess what it comes down to is whats imporatant and whats not. Personally I love the water and I love to go out on my boat. I love that more then anything. If that means i get skin cancer and die, then I get skin cancer and die. I'd rather do what I love and die as a result then live a life of denying my love in fear of having to go to the doc and get cut up.
So whats it worth to you?

canuck1
07-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Why the dark shirt?

Debbolas
07-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Ok, none of my moles look like that...........;)
Remember when we were kids and our parents never put sunscreen on us? Just noxema after we were burned....LOL, guess they didn't know. I am 1/4 Greek, so I think I am ok. My dad is southern and very fair skin and has had several moles removed. We are a very moley family. My Big Daddy had a big ole "cow" mole on his face. He was a sweet man.....
Sorry soooooooo off topic.
Everyone check your moles and wear sunscreen.
Bullfrog is my favorite!
:D

GlastronGuy
07-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Misogynist
This is what basal cell carcinoma looks like... it is easily removed and doesn't spread like melanoma... http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=781181

topless
07-08-2004, 08:46 AM
Heres Boozers owee. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/721DSC00119-med.JPG

JetBoatRich
07-08-2004, 08:58 AM
good to hear it was found in time:D
My sister is a survivor as well. Last week at the lake a lot of people asked her why she stayed in the shade and lots to be so white:eek!: she told them don't worry about her, they had no clue

MsDrmr
07-08-2004, 09:06 AM
luvmyboat has had four removed and it appears that he will have more removed. He has had three on his ear, one on is shoulder, and it looks like he needs to do another on his back, and ear area. :( I tell him all the time to use sunblock and he says "I want to be dark!!!! I don't think it's worth it.

SB
07-08-2004, 09:47 AM
I have had solar keratosis burned off and frozen off. Now I put Efudex cream on my face once per week to kill incipient cancer cells. Get a rashguard type Lycra shirt and wear it always (I make my kids wear them too). Get the SPF 50 lotion with zinc oxide in it. This is a physical barrier to UV rays. Don't be satisfied with regular sunscreen which has only a chemical barrier to some rays but lets in others.

Lightning
07-08-2004, 10:01 AM
I have been pretty diligent about sunscreen after a buddy of mine had 2/3's of his lower lip cut off due to melenoma. Lube up with the sunscreen - it's cool to be pale.

Mohavekid
07-08-2004, 04:04 PM
As a kid and you adult, we never knew about the dangers of the sun and I've had hundreds of sunburns between river trips in summer and ski trips to Mammoth in the winter.
My wife has nagged me for years to put on lotion, I always told her I was fine. Well, I guess I was wrong. I will now be wearing a shirt, hat and lots of lotion religiously.
The 1/2 inch chuck the took out last week is bad enough, next week they are taking out another 1/2 inch all around just to make sure they got it all.
Timing is bad too, I was supposed to got to Cottonwood for a week on Saturday. The kids are bummed.

ahhell
07-08-2004, 04:25 PM
A = Asymmetry: melanoma lesions are typically asymmetrical, whereas benign moles are typically round and symmetrical.
B = Border: melanoma lesions frequently have uneven or irregular borders (ie, ragged or notched edges), whereas benign moles have smooth, even borders.
C = Color: melanoma lesions often contain multiple shades of brown or black, whereas benign moles are usually a single shade of brown.
D = Diameter: early melanoma lesions are often more than 6 mm in diameter, whereas benign moles are usually less than 6 mm in diameter