PDA

View Full Version : Need to know the type of metal used...

dmontzsta
07-07-2004, 08:07 PM
on the cavitation plate rods???
here is a pic of my current rod:
http://dmontzmax.maximaclubca.com/dmontzsta%20pics/LakeElsinore%206-5-2004/100_1013.jpg
Repo Man has been helping me fab up a overide system in my 64' Lavey, it never had one. I have it just about done, but ran in to this issue...
The rod in there is threaded and scary how weak it looks (as you can see) I want to get a new rod solid from the back in to the t handle and then run a small one from the t handle to the pedal and be done.
Anyone know what type of metal is used? or what type might be stronger to use?
Thanks.

Fiat48
07-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Stainless Steel.

dmontzsta
07-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Thanks, would you happen to know the grade?

superdave013
07-07-2004, 08:31 PM
304 or if you want to get fancy 316L

dmontzsta
07-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
304 or if you want to get fancy 316L
Thanks Dave, this should be good enough, I will pass it on to repo man Dan and have him order it up.
Now I have a new theory going :)
My dad pulled out the old handle and installed the new T handle. By looking at that pic, it looks like the old handle might have went on that threaded part. I can tell the new T handle is mounted further forward than the old one. Last time we went out, we could not get ANY downplate, I am wondering if he pulled that rod too far causing the plate to be so far up that any down doesnt do anything. I have to ask him tommorrow.
What do you think? Do I make sense? :confused: :cool:

v-drive
07-08-2004, 05:52 AM
I don't know but what I want to say is this. When I had the upholstery done and put the seats back in the handle was really awkward. I moved it forward and adjusted the handle so I actually only have down plate now. I guess what I'm asking is why would you want up plate adjustment? The threaded part on mine was 3/8 24 thd and I also used 304 threaded stock.
:confused: v-drive

dmontzsta
07-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by v-drive
I don't know but what I want to say is this. When I had the upholstery done and put the seats back in the handle was really awkward. I moved it forward and adjusted the handle so I actually only have down plate now. I guess what I'm asking is why would you want up plate adjustment? The threaded part on mine was 3/8 24 thd and I also used 304 threaded stock.
:confused: v-drive
The reason I want up plate, is so I have the ability to bring it out of the water and get it to plane just right for those high speed runs.
BTW: How much did it cost you to have your upholstry done?

v-drive
07-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Ok, well that's an easy adjustment. My upholstery was $1500 but I really had to beat on the guy to get it done. I would not recommend or use him again. His son tried to intimidate me, big mistake because I don't play those games. If someone treats me like a bitch they need to talk sweet to me (chuckle)or I get unreasonable... :D v-drive

dmontzsta
07-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Ok, well that's an easy adjustment. My upholstery was $1500 but I really had to beat on the guy to get it done. I would not recommend or use him again. His son tried to intimidate me, big mistake because I don't play those games. If someone treats me like a bitch they need to talk sweet to me (chuckle)or I get unreasonable... :D v-drive
haha.
any pics of it now?

v-drive
07-08-2004, 08:46 AM
It's the same, i've polished what there was left of the lustre and am ignoring the metal flake (ugly shit) for now. I just told the owner I was taking off next week to devote it to the boat.
He isn't very happy but I just asked him if I told him not to go to Italy for 2 weeks. I also asked if I said anything about the week he was spending in carmel in August, But ofcourse he's the one doing all of the work. I don't mean to give the impression i'm not grateful I just need some time off... :D v-drive

dmontzsta
07-08-2004, 08:48 AM
It's the same, i've polished what there was left of the lustre and am ignoring the metal flake (ugly shit) for now. I just told the owner I was taking off next week to devote it to the boat.
He isn't very happy but I just asked him if I told him not to go to Italy for 2 weeks. I also asked if I said anything about the week he was spending in carmel in August, But ofcourse he's the one doing all of the work. I don't mean to give the impression i'm not grateful I just need some time off... :D v-drive
Well considering all the vacation time you have, he should give you that atleast.
Are you going to CBBB?

v-drive
07-08-2004, 09:11 AM
If and that's a big if it will be a last minute decision.
later.....v-drive

dmontzsta
07-08-2004, 09:22 AM
If and that's a big if it will be a last minute decision.
later.....v-drive
Atleast there is an "IF" there, that is something. :)