PDA

View Full Version : Lasik - Who has it?

goneboatin
07-08-2004, 07:44 AM
I've been wearing contacts for about 20 years, I'm 40 years old and looking into having my eyes done. Currently my contacts are -2.50. Has any one out there had it done? Was it a pleasureable experience, were there complications? Do you now need glasses for close up and reading? Any doctors you'd reccommend? Any you'd say to stay away from?

Phat Matt
07-08-2004, 08:02 AM
I would recommend this guy.
www.drfabricant.com
They are out of Upland and he is one of the best, not the cheapest, but the best. I would stay away from those places that have the $399 and eye deal. Who want to cut corners with their eyesite? It is by far the best thing I have ever done. I can see better than I have ever been able to see before, even when I wore my contacts, because they fixed my astigmatism also. It's been a couple of years now and I have no regrets! :)

Quality Time
07-08-2004, 08:37 AM
I agree with Phat Matt, avoid the "deals" You only have one set of peeps. Go to a reputable doctor. I had it done four years ago and could not be happier. I ended up with better than 20 -20. No issues during or after the procedure. Took longer to fill out the paper work than the procedure itself.
Good Luck in your decision:cool:

Trash
07-08-2004, 08:42 AM
What is your goal? Is it to NOT wear glasses or contacts? If so, you might want to reconsider as you will need reading glasses. You are approaching the age where you're eyes begin to change and reading glasses will become a larger part of your life. Lasik will do nothing to correct that.

TrojanDan
07-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by goneboatin
Currently my contacts are -2.50. Has any one out there had it done?
I had my eyes done about 5 years ago by the "Laser Eye Center" for $1700 per eyeball when it was relatively new (I don't think I would recommend them though). I wore glasses for at least 20 years prior. I had the old school laser used and still suffer from those frick'n halos and light glare. I just deal with it. I was a -8.75 and a -9.25 when I did my eyes. Made your -2.50 look like x-ray vision. I don't regret it one bit and next to the Box Anchor, this surgery was the next best thing since sliced bread. :D I'm at least 20/20 to a 20/15 in natural daylight so I can't complain. I might get a touch-up with the newer lasers they have to correct my glare.
The procedure is relatively painless. Just minor discomfort for the first day or two but nothing too major. Just ask for the sedative before the procedure and you should be good to go. I had it done on a Saturday and was back to work on Monday.
Whoever you use, make sure you check their experience and qualifications and don't settle based on price. Make sure you feel comfortable with them.
Good-luck. :cool:

prosthogod
07-08-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm a dentist, and I had it done ~ 5 yrs. ago. I knew if they screwed up my career is over. I think it is the best thing I've ever done. The procedurs are better now. I didn't get a discount and I paid 4400.00 back then. I'm39 now.Do it today, you won't regret it(unless something goes wrong:D )

Rich Hammond
07-08-2004, 08:58 AM
I wore contacts for for 25 years, had it done two years ago at Barnett-Dulany in Phoenix Az. They were the most expensive place I could find. I didn't want to skimp on my eyes. It has been the best thing I ever did. I am 44, and I have what you call mono vision. My left eye is 20/15 and can see great at distance, and my right is like 20/30 and set up for reading. It sounds wierd but after the first week you don't even notice, and I don't need reading glasses that way.

spectratoad
07-08-2004, 09:00 AM
I had it done about 8 years ago and relly love it. I do have the Halo at night and work with that but it is not a complete downfall. I am still at 20-20 & 20-40. I would recommend it.
My dad had it done at about 55 and he still likes it. He does have to wear reading glasses but that is unavoidable.
My wife had it done (RK) about 15 ago and she is still glass free except for also reading glasses.

Cole
07-08-2004, 09:57 AM
So it doesnt help with reading?
I am now having problems reading but have no problem with distance. So if it only helps with distance then i shouldn't bother?

Ultra5150
07-08-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
I don't regret it one bit and next to the Box Anchor, this surgery was the next best thing since sliced bread. :D
Lmao!!

NorCalCat
07-08-2004, 10:11 AM
There are several different proceedures out there these days. I had it done and now am better than 20/20. Before I was -2.5/-3. Do not go for the deal, you are dealing with your eyes, and some companies offer AFLAC. You can recover up to $1000 pre taxed and if you have VSP, they will contribute as well.
The recovery is very quick and painless. DO YOU HOMEWORK first.

HAULNZ
07-08-2004, 10:18 AM
I had lasik done about two years ago. One of the best things I have ever done. Boating is so much more fun when you don't have to worry about your contacts or watering eyes. It is amazing they do the procedure, which just takes a few minutes, and when you sit up you can see perfectly. My eyes watered the day of the surgery, but the next day I was back to normal.

schlepy
07-08-2004, 10:24 AM
i want it done but cant afford it. a couple of my friends at work had it done and love it. one of them wore coke bottle glasses and is now 20/20. they both paid about $5k each down in newport beach by a doctor that i think did tiger woods eyes. if you want the doctors number i will get it for you......

Infomaniac
07-08-2004, 10:28 AM
I had mine done before lasers were around. Diamond knife. I see fine
You guys could fly to Tulsa. See Dr. Allison at the Springer eye clinic and still be money ahead looking at some of those prices.

schlepy
07-08-2004, 10:33 AM
Call doctor Mike Goldman at 949-586-8900, he will check out your eyes than refer you to Dr. Toomas who will perform the surgery, his number is 949-854-7400. My friend paid $3400 not $5k sorry for the wrong numbers. This was 2-3 years ago so it maybe even cheapier??

goneboatin
07-08-2004, 10:51 AM
I know already not to look for the good deal, I've only got one pair of peeps and I'm not going to take a chance on the quanity not quality deal. I was hoping I wouldn't need reading glasses but it sounds unaviodable. My optometrist said I can put off reading glasses for a while if one eye is done for distance and the other for reading like Rich Hammond said, but that sounds like vision in one eye would always be fuzzy. How long was the recovery period. Should I get it done in the winter after river season so I won't have the wind and water in my eyes from boating and skiing?

Quality Time
07-08-2004, 10:55 AM
If I recall, I was at the river within two weeks of my procedure. You will be required to use drops after the procedure for a period of time. Just have them with you (at all times) and get a good pair of polarized sunglasses.

catlover
07-08-2004, 11:12 AM
The most expensive doctor is not necessarily the best. Make sure the doctor has done a LOT of procedures. I work for a major eye care company and we also manufacture and sell the lasers that do the surgery. We are constantly told that when choosing a doctor, do your homework! Make sure the doctor is very familiar with the laser being used as new technology is literally being developed every couple of months.

spectratoad
07-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Cole
So it doesnt help with reading?
I am now having problems reading but have no problem with distance. So if it only helps with distance then i shouldn't bother?
I have no problems reading but my wife and father are over forty, I still have three years to go, and they say about that time your eyes naturally change and often reading glasses are needed. I don't believe that the reading glasses had anything to do with the surgery.

Steph
07-08-2004, 01:20 PM
I recommend Dr. Vishteh. Awesome Doctor and great guy.
I work out of the office that he does the consultations at. Its in Diamond Bar and he does his surgerys in Ontario.
You can call 909-860-6768 to set up a consultation with him.

Bren
07-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I think you get the idea that it is indeed worth it! I had it done a year and a half ago and it was the best $3300 I ever spent. I did my homework and talked to people and never met one person who regretted it.
It's quick and painless and you wake up the next morning able to see your alarm clock clear as can be with no blur.

goneboatin
07-08-2004, 04:37 PM
I know I want it and need it (my eyes done). I wanted to get some unsolicited response from you guys. I know if I ask a doctors' office for a list, I'll only get postive responses.
What I see here is only good things. I will do my homework. Thanks for all your responses.
GB

gramps
07-08-2004, 04:47 PM
go for it....................I'm 53 and had it done about 6 years ago.....it makes all the difference in the world when you are on the water, no more glasses getting wet and/or dirty.........BUT you will have to wear reading glases.

bchbum
07-08-2004, 07:02 PM
I had it done about 5 years ago ,at a discount
place .$1500 & I see 20/20 , yes I need reading glasses Knew
that before I had it done. Wife had it done same place$1000. no astigmatism charge , she still does'nt need reading glasses . Buddy at work same place also no problems
You can't be to old for this my friends dad had it done at 92 years old & can still see the tv at the far end of the bar.

pebo
07-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Wife had it done 3 mths. ago. Laser eye center in Ontario, they also have an office in Glendora. Very busy place. No problums. She had a Super big Stigmatizum $3k for both eyes. Half down, payments at no interest. Had an consultation for myself, $1200.00
bucks for both eyes. I'm still waiting.:cool:

SandbarScot
07-08-2004, 08:40 PM
I am considering lasik also. Have -6.5 and am 40 yrs old. Any recommendations for a place near Temecula / Murrieta?

MudPumper
07-08-2004, 10:55 PM
The Best around is Dr. Malone in Westwood after that is Dr. Reingold in Studio City. Do a search on the web for either of them and you will get a ton of info. Everybody has somebody to recommend but do your homework and you will find that these to guys are at the top of their field hands down.