PDA

View Full Version : engine assembly ????

h2ojet001
07-08-2004, 08:36 AM
1. What type/brand of sealant is used on the rear main seal and rear main cap?
2. Is a sealant required for the oil pump where it mounts to the block/main cap and if so what sealant is recommended and also the top plate on the oil pump is anything needed there other than a little loctite for the bolts holding the plate?
3. After installing the rings on the pistons what is the recommended procedure for coating the rings and pistons with oil dipping them in a can of oil or squirting oil all around the piston? Also I have heard different stories as to whether to use detergent or non-detergent oil for the pistons and cylinder walls prior to installation.
Thanks for your answers. Hope this isn't too many questions I just want to do it right the first time. (Measure twice, cut once)
Barry

Infomaniac
07-08-2004, 08:46 AM
1. A dab normal RTV under the cap next to the seal.
2. None loctite is good.
3. I squirt can oil on the rings, in the pin oil holes in the piston and rod before putting the rings on also. Lubriplate on the piston skirts.
Total seal rings go in dry. Check the instructions.

19cobaltcd
07-08-2004, 08:48 AM
I use a tiny amount of Permatex #2 on the ends of the rear main seal where they mate together. On chevy's a small fillet along the groove where the rear cap sets (both edges). I always put a thin coat on the surface the oil pump bolts to.
Done the rings both ways, went back to squirting some on and rubbing it around. Dipping is really messy. I always us something like 50w racing oil, dosent run off as fast.
Usually coat the cylinder walls with stp or honey oil. Stays and dosent run off.

Fiat48
07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
I do the same as Info does except I use C&A assembly oil on the rings and the cylinder wall. When I used to run speed pro's, I used WD40 for a quick seat and never had a problem. But today I use C&A assembly oil on all rings. I don't do total seals.
No loctite on the oil pump cover bolts. (Have you checked your pump end play?)
I don't use any sealant where the oil pump bolts to the cap. Those are machined surfaces but if it makes you feel better, make your own gasket.
And I use a cherry picker to pull my engines instead of a shade tree like Info does....but I have been seen using a shade tree a couple times. LOL :D

Infomaniac
07-08-2004, 10:34 AM
I just planted a few more trees as part of the Marine Assault Engine Factory expansion project. Maybe it will be the Fiat48 wing.
;) ;)

superdave013
07-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Just keep in mind that any RTV type of sealent that you see get squeezed outside the engine. Well, that much prolly went inside too. Guess where that ends up? Oil pump

78Eliminator
07-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by superdave013
Just keep in mind that any RTV type of sealent that you see get squeezed outside the engine. Well, that much prolly went inside too. Guess where that ends up? Oil pump
I was on my Kawasaki ZX-7 a few years back, going about 150 for about 4 minutes solid. When I slowed back down, it sounded like someone was knocking on my door.
I pulled the motor apart to find that I had a bad rod bearing. When I looked at the oil pump intake, I was COVERED in silicone fragments. I bought the bike used, and the last guy was REAL liberal with the silicone. So much, that it ruined my motor and might have killed me if the motor seized up.

INEEDAV
07-08-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
I just planted a few more trees as part of the Marine Assault Engine Factory expansion project. Maybe it will be the Fiat48 wing.
;) ;)
Info
Don't forget to keep large amounts of bulls**t around them so they will grow fast and strong. You will be swinging enginesfrom them in no time:D:D

78Eliminator
07-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by INEEDAV
Info
Don't forget to keep large amounts of bulls**t around them so they will grow fast and strong. You will be swinging engines in no time from them:D:D
Hey B,
Have lake tested that beast yet?????

INEEDAV
07-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Sure haven't yet. It is essentially done for now. It is ready to fire up, except for two fittings in the timing cover. I need to get to Colorado Springs to get some fuel. I need to find my timing light and light her off I guess. Looks like first lake test will be next month somewhere in Infomaniac country. Trying to get ready to move now, so the wife gets ancy when I go to the garage and am not packing.

78Eliminator
07-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Sure haven't yet. It is essentially done for now. It is ready to fire up, except for two fittings in the timing cover. I need to get to Colorado Springs to get some fuel. I need to find my timing light and light her off I guess. Looks like first lake test will be next month somewhere in Infomaniac country. Trying to get ready to move now, so the wife gets ancy when I go to the garage and am not packing.
Ok, well, keep me updated. BTW, if you need a timing light, let me know. I have two. I bought one for cheap at a garage sale. Also, I never really saw your hull until I saw your progress thread (before that, it was covered with snow.) I really like the colors on that baby. :D

INEEDAV
07-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
Ok, well, keep me updated. BTW, if you need a timing light, let me know. I have two. I bought one for cheap at a garage sale. Also, I never really saw your hull until I saw your progress thread (before that, it was covered with snow.) I really like the colors on that baby. :D
Thanks. I just wish it looked as good close up as it does in pictures. I am going to strip it and paint it this winter. I plan on trying to return it to close to the same look when I paint it.

superdave013
07-08-2004, 01:31 PM
It is ready to fire up, except for two fittings in the timing cover.
Billy, you should have your parts tomorrow.
I'll PM you the tracking #

INEEDAV
07-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks Dave. Looks like it will be fired tomorrow then.

shaun
07-08-2004, 09:06 PM
What type of assembly lube you guys use?

Fiat48
07-08-2004, 09:19 PM
I use C&A assembly oil for the rings, walls and pistons. 50 weight oil on the rest. Grease on seals. Then I use a priming tool (old distributor modified) and pre lube the entire engine while turning the motor over by hand.
If I know the motor will not be fired right away, then I use sealed power engine assembly lube on most everything. But it is still primed with the priming tool.

h2ojet001
07-09-2004, 09:00 AM
If I went to an auto parts store and asked for C&A assembly oil would they know what I wanted? Is that the official name on the container, similiar to lubriplate. As far as the grease for the seals could you be more specific as to type and possibly a name. Thanks
Barry

78Eliminator
07-09-2004, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Fiat48
I use C&A assembly oil for the rings, walls and pistons. 50 weight oil on the rest. Grease on seals. Then I use a priming tool (old distributor modified) and pre lube the entire engine while turning the motor over by hand.
If I know the motor will not be fired right away, then I use sealed power engine assembly lube on most everything. But it is still primed with the priming tool.
Ok Bob, that's fine and dandy, but what was that jar of vaseline doing on your work bench? :eek: ;)

Fiat48
07-09-2004, 09:26 AM
You have to get the oil from Childs and Albert. A speed shop might have it but I doubt an auto parts store. Assembly oil part # A0-108. Phone number is 1-800-697-6625.
Grease I use is just plain white grease. Lubriplate is fine.
One thing I forgot...I use anti sieze on the balancer to crank.
78Eliminator, the vaseline is used for carbureator gaskets to keep them from sticking. :p