PDA

View Full Version : ultra boats

thom
07-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Im looking at a 247 ultra with a 496 ho w/ a procharger. Any comments about this combo would be appreciated? Good or bad.
Im fairly new to boating but im thinking its a good deal at 40k.

Boat Loan Guy
07-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Is that price new or on a used boat?

thom
07-08-2004, 03:06 PM
used ..its an 01. is this a good deal? Nada books it out at 52k

RiverToysJas
07-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Was it originally delivered with that 496 in 2001? the first generation 496's had many issues, and I know several people who had to get major work done to them, or have them replaced entirely (both truck & marine).
The Pro-Charger (I believe) uses the standard Merc ECU. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. IF that's the case, you can take it to a Merc Authorized mechanic and they can plug it in and tell you EVERYTHING about that motor, and how it's been run. Total time on the motor (for real, not just gauge time). What average RPM it's been running at. How much time at various RPMs (in increments of 300), how many times it's hit the rev limitor. I wouldn't buy a used boat with that motor, w/o having that checked first. BUT, since this boat is Procharged, that data might not be available, I'm not sure.
If it's clean, and all what it seems, it sounds like a good deal. I LOVE the lines on that hull!!! :cool:
RTJas :D

thom
07-08-2004, 03:21 PM
its really clean.. it has the dana tabs, offshore controls. fresh water cooling system, digital trim . and more...
It is the orginal engine.I like the idea of having it hooked up to the computer to see exactly whats going on..
thanks for the tip.. anything else to look for?

K9Blitz
07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Especially if you are new to boating, don't buy it until you drive it. The best case scenario would be to take it out in water conditions you plan on using it in.
Test drive a couple other similar models. Nothing beats a $40K educated decision.

thom
07-08-2004, 03:26 PM
k9
I do plan on taking it on test drive next week. Im mainly going to use it here at castaic. Any ideas on how it will handle havasu???

Blown_Rob
07-08-2004, 03:33 PM
hey i heard that they ride like shit so be careful!!

jbtrailerjim
07-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Well I have no experience with a Procharged 496HO, but I do with a Ultra 247. I've only had mine for just a short time but I love it. Rides good and handles good. I have no complaints whatsoever. $40K sounds like a decent price. But I'd do like RTJAS said have the motor checked by a authorized Merc dealer. Good luck.

RiverToysJas
07-08-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by thom
Im mainly going to use it here at castaic.
You're buying a 80+ MPH Boat (guessing), to mainly be used on a lake with a 35mph speed limit, that is strictly enforced???
I'm a big fan of over-kill, but I think you might get bored quick. Just a thought. That boat should handle Havasu just fine!!!

thom
07-08-2004, 04:02 PM
jbt What engine do you have in yours?
Im looking for a dependale boat that rides nice. I have no plans of doing 80+ mph anytime soon, at least not with my eyes open.
I just want a fast boat that will not break down on me.

RiverToysJas
07-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Im looking for a dependale boat that rides nice. I have no plans of doing 80+ mph anytime soon, at least not with my eyes open.
IMHO, You should really consider something that isn't supercharged. I'm not trying to incure the wrath of the Pro-charged (Hell I wouldn't mind being one of them), just my opinion that taking on a used supercharged boat, I would expect a breakdown now and then (esp when it's one of the first 496s). Just my personal feelings.

thom
07-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
IMHO, You should really consider something that isn't supercharged. I'm not trying to incure the wrath of the Pro-charged (Hell I wouldn't mind being one of them), just my opinion that taking on a used supercharged boat, I would expect a breakdown now and then (esp when it's one of the first 496s). Just my personal feelings.
This is exactly why im asking because i dont know enough to make an educated decesion yet.
I have to admit im leary on the procharger..

thom
07-08-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Blown_Rob
hey i heard that they ride like shit so be careful!!
Rob what have you heard about them.. Its gotta ride better than my cheetah

jbtrailerjim
07-08-2004, 04:40 PM
I have a 496Mag in mine. It's not real fast. I've seen 71 on the speedo. So my guess is probably maybe a true 70 or upper 60's boat. It's plenty fast for me. It's got some good mid-range punch to it. Going from a small block in my last boat, it seems a lot faster to me. I don't think your gonna find a more dependable set up than the 496Mag or MagHo package. My personal feeling's though on 496MagHO w/Pro Charger is the life span of that engine is probably gonna be shortened.

Ultra5150
07-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
I have a 496Mag in mine. It's not real fast. I've seen 71 on the speedo. So my guess is probably maybe a true 70 or upper 60's boat. It's plenty fast for me. It's got some good mid-range punch to it. Going from a small block in my last boat, it seems a lot faster to me. I don't think your gonna find a more dependable set up than the 496Mag or MagHo package.
I have the same exact set up and have hit 68 on the gps fully loaded with fuel, coolers, and family. It is plenty fast for us and has never been a problem. It also handles great, I dont know what the other guy is talking about. Ours is only a Havasu boat and it handles the lake fine.

Blown_Rob
07-08-2004, 07:55 PM
my buddy had the 23' with a 496 ho and it went 70 and he has to sell it cause it rode so bad , there are alot of nice boats you can buy for 50k im getting an awesome htm for 60k i hope

jbtrailerjim
07-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Well I have no problems with the way my Ultra rides in the Havasu chop. Yeah, it can get kinda bumpy at times when the water get's shitty but nowhere near to the point where I can't handle it. You would be hard pressed to find a "NEW" boat thats the same style around the same size and only cost around $50K that rides much better.

shadow
07-09-2004, 06:44 AM
my buddy had the 23' with a 496 ho and it went 70 and he has to sell it cause it rode so bad , there are alot of nice boats you can buy for 50k im getting an awesome htm for 60k i hope
Are you comparing A 23' v bottom to a 24' cat? I don't think you'll find any v that in that size range Won't compare to a cat in chop.
Obviouslly I'm partial to Ultra,and saying that with Ultra I belive you will get nothing but first rate quality,first rate style,and not to mention great resale value.Try any other manufacture in the same size,same bottom type,same water conditions.

Ultra5150
07-09-2004, 08:13 AM
The 23 is a completley different bottom than the 247.

shadow
07-09-2004, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blown_Rob
[B]my buddy had the 23' with a 496 ho and it went 70 and he has to sell it cause it rode so bad ,
Keep in mind Ultra does't make a boat that rides so bad you'd have to sell it.I've ridden in just about every model they have.
Maybe there is a trim issue.:wink:

RiverToysJas
07-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Ultra5150
The 23 is a completley different bottom than the 247.
How so? One was made from the other. Both are both a 20 degree pad bottom.
I think they both great boats, but totally different they aren't.

intense
07-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
How so? One was made from the other. Both are both a 20 degree pad bottom.
I think they both great boats, but totally different they aren't.
The 247 is an old DCB mold that ultra bought

jbtrailerjim
07-09-2004, 09:39 AM
The only difference I know of between the 23 and the 247 bottoms is that the 247 is a step bottom.

Ultra5150
07-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
The only difference I know of between the 23 and the 247 bottoms is that the 247 is a step bottom.
I know it was the old DCB mold and I agree with you on the step bottom.

RiverToysJas
07-09-2004, 11:56 AM
The 23XS is also available in a stepped bottom. But I believe I was wrong about them both being pad bottoms.

THOR
07-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Thom,
I have the 247 with the HO and it runs a 26P at the rev limiter. It handles fine, but I stongly suggest getting trim tabs. I use them quite often. I will be at Havasu Springs next weekend if you want a ride. PM me if you have some additional questions.
RTJ,
I am pretty sure the 247 does not have a pad. It is the old DCB 24' Extreme that is a double step hull. Pretty aggressive bottom. My dad has the stealth and mine ride a little more on the 'edge' than his.

THOR
07-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Thom,
almost forgot. I havent heard anything really positive about supercharging the 496's. My suggestion is to stay away for now. My HO runs just shy of 80 with a light load.

NastyNebs
07-10-2004, 01:56 PM
if this helps, but I have a 496HO Jet in my 21 Essex, and I just love the engine, it goes pretty good.

thom
07-10-2004, 02:01 PM
What kind of problems might i see with it? and going back to it being the first year the 496 came out what kind of problems did they first have?

DryHeatOnly
07-10-2004, 02:12 PM
I have to admit im leary on the procharger..
Thom - Go with your gut on this one. There are many, many 496Mag HO owners who would love to do the Pro Charger or Whipple to get more HP, but you just don't see it happening. The pistons & crank are just not built to handle it.
There's been at least 1 member (forgot his screen name) who had a Procharged 496HO for 2 seasons and was extremely pleased.
It's funny though, on the other hand I havn't seen any feedback from an owner who had that setup and had it fail. I think most owners are keeping the 496HO stock.
Try offshoreonly.com for more feedback.

thom
07-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I think i am going to pass on it.. I dont want to buy it then have to dump another engine in it in two - three years..
You know how you get the "funny" feeling... Well ive got it..

RUCAV
07-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Thom
I road in several different boats in various conditions before I bought the 247. As for the ride, it rides great. Take it for a spin. I really cant add any info on the super's. I have the 496 MAG and it does about 68 to 71. Good luck brother.

thom
07-10-2004, 06:32 PM
thanks to everyone for all of your input.. truly appreciated!!