PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Product Info..Opinions wanted

ShowDown
07-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Do any of y'all use Amsoil products and if so what do you think about them and which ones do you use. I recently switched to one of their synthetic 2-stroke oils to run in my SeaDoos because the SeaDoo shit is ridiculously exspensive and I was tired of paying out the ass for it and I am very impressed. The R.A.V.E valves seem to be staying cleaner and performance is great. Anyway I was just interested in knowing if any of y'all had experience with their products and what your thoughts were? I am thinking about trying some of their synthetic motor oil 0-40w in my 502 pwered street rod and maybe in the jetboat as well.

HammerDown
07-09-2004, 03:58 AM
Personally I wouldn't use (zero-w) in ANYTHING unless you lived in the Antartic!
I also know several Boat Drag racers that tryed 0W30 Mibile 1 ...they all took it out fast after seeing little to no oil pressure after a 1/4 mile pass!
Amsoil is a fine oil...but if I were you I'd do a search on just jets and you'll see some very interesting info about multi wt synthetic's used in a marine application.
Straight wt 40 to 60 Dino oil seems to get the thumbs up around here.
For me it's Kendall GT 40.
However, if your mind is set on a synthetic I would use no less than a 20/50.

LakesOnly
07-09-2004, 08:55 AM
I've been using Amsoil for decades and I think it is a fantastic lubricant.
Synthetics have a higher film strength than conventional motor oils. They also maintain consisent viscosity over wider temperature ranges (hot and cold). They have a multitude of advantages over petroleum oils.
Oil has several functions in an engine. It does more than just lubricate; it is also a cooling agent, a cleaning agent, acts as a seal, is an anti-corrosion inhibitor, etc.
All motor oils, conventional and synthetic, have had major advancements made in the recent past that make them all a far better lubricant than they were just thirty years ago. In most cases, I think a synthetic is the better way to go.
I put Amsoil in a used BBF engine and ran it for about 75000 miles without ever changing the oil...the motor was consuming about a quart every 5000 when I started, so I was periodically adding oil. I also changed the filter every 5000 miles. I never had a problem with that engine.
I also rebuilt a Datsun engine and broke it in for 1800 miles on conventional oil. I then switched to Amsoil and did oil/filter changes every 15,000 miles. I beat the FUKC out of this engine. Drove everywhere floored, pisswound the siht out of it, banged second gear to spin the rear tires, etc. Then at 83,000 miles on the engine, I just took the thing apart even though there was nothing mechanically wrong with it. Inside it was CHERRY looking. Cylinders looked like they were honed yesterday and had no up/down scuffing whatsoever, etc.
My newest jetboat motor holds thirteen quarts of oil. Oil pressure is typically 35/60 psi once warmed up, but after long passes when the oil thins out, it drops to 20/45. But after ten hours of break-in time, I switch to synthetic; hot oil pressure problem solved.
There are lots of great synthetic lubricant manufacturer's out there: Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, etc. Castol Syntec is NOT a true ester-based, sythetic base-stock...it's a petroleum molecule that has been restructured in the lab.
0W-30 is a 30 weight oil; the "0" weight does NOT mean that it has the viscosity of water. Never-the-less, I fully agree that you should use a higher viscosity oil in your motor, say 20w/50.
Also important is a good quality filter. The ones I use filter down to 7 microns (1 micron = 1/1000 of a millimeter; we can see particles down to about 40 microns with the naked eye).
In regards to your two-stroke, I recommend the Amsoil 100:1 for premix applications. The BLUE die stuff...they have lots of other stuff these days that are simply environmetally friendly, etc.
LO

Essex502
07-09-2004, 09:29 AM
When I was still dragracing we used Amsoil in all of our motors - from Stock class through Top Fuel. Their products are fantastic. You need to match the proper lubricant to the task. Other than that use it in good health. I don't know of any other commercially available product that is as good.

ShowDown
07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the info guys

rude235
07-14-2004, 09:01 PM
go to www.lubedealer.com/extremelubricants
that site should answer pretty much any questions you might have. i run amsoil in everything i own. i've been very happy with it. i might be a bit biased since i'm a dealer. it's VERY nice to change oil once per year!