PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter school

Cole
07-09-2004, 09:32 AM
My girlfriend is all wound up about inlisting into a helicopter school, her brother and sister are enrolled and are in the first few weeks of instruction.
I have a feeling this is a scam!
It costs each one of them $50,000.00 for an 18 month course. .
Is it me or does $50,000 sound WAY HIGH...and they will arrange financing.....with good credit of course!!
I just hate to see her scammed out of $50,000.
Has anyone heard of schools like this...are they lagit?

jackpunx
07-09-2004, 09:35 AM
When I was getting my privates... it was 137.50 an hr (in an R22)for instruction when I dropped 2k at a time. Might be more now.. all in all.. you should be able to get your privates for about 13-20k depending on the type of training and endorsements you want.
Good luck

Cole
07-09-2004, 09:38 AM
They are quoting $300.00 per hour....i have no idea what kind of helicopter.

rrrr
07-09-2004, 09:41 AM
Pretty much a waste of money. I have 30 hours of dual instruction in turbine helicopters. One day I figured out that unless I had a way to get hundreds of hours I would never be able to get insurance.
Without insurance you can't rent or buy a helicopter. Jobs for rotary wing pilots are scrasce, so it's unlikely someone will hire a low time pilot and put 'em in a bird.
She would be way better off to take that money and go with fixed wing training. Fifty grand will get you all the way to an Air Transport Rating, what airline pilots are required to have. Then she could get on with a carrier flying regional jets. That market will continue to expand and pilots will be in demand.
She needs to talk to some pilots and get away from the pressure sales job someone is laying on her......

copperrat20
07-09-2004, 09:42 AM
Dude tell her that she can take lessons from the city of cerritos. they have a private chopper and it only costs like $500 per day. It is hands on training. Not book work. I have a friend that did this. he said it was cool.

Todd969
07-09-2004, 09:43 AM
One of my co-workers is currently going to Lufthunsia school and his costs are over 70K. 2 years worth of flying and books.

rrrr
07-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Cole
They are quoting $300.00 per hour....i have no idea what kind of helicopter.
That's turbine time. It's a throwaway. No way she can get any use out of the rating.

Jordy
07-09-2004, 09:47 AM
$50K sounds about right for a commerical license with all the possible endorsements you could get. However, this is only on the R22. Turbine school is lots more on top. I looked into it a couple years ago, and as was pointed out, jobs are scarce. You end up somewhere flying cargo out to oil platforms or the like.
The thing that really steered me away was the $50K cost to get all the endorsements, but you really can't market yourself until you get a thousand or so hours (typically more) and really the only cost effective way to do that is to teach others to fly. I looked at a couple schools here and they both said that they tend to hire their graduates to teach, and it pays a whopping $14/hr. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that it doesn't make much sense to go that route.

Essex502
07-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Do like the little young lady in Compton did a number of years back...join the police force and wait until an opening as a helicopter pilot opens up and apply for it. They trained her on taxpayer dollars.

Jrocket
07-09-2004, 09:54 AM
Join the army....good food too.:D

chub
07-09-2004, 09:55 AM
I took the one hour lesson/flight out of Long Beach last month with LA Helicopters. It cost 135.00 and the hour would go to your instruction hours. I think it's still less than 150 an hour for flight time. Just my .02

Cole
07-09-2004, 09:56 AM
They said they do a lot of reverse recruiting....hire there own people back to SCAM more people out of $50,000 bucks!!!
Someone is making a lot of money...and it is not the recruits!
They already recieved $100,000.00 out of her family, and they keep pushing them to bring my girlfriend in.

Jordy
07-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Jrocket
The problem with the military is you don't get time on any of the helicopters that you would fly in the civilian side. You have the ground school knowledge and can fly, but typically don't have enough hours to go commercial if that is what you wanted to do. At least that is what both the schools I talked to said. One of the schools even said that a couple of guys who flew in the military came to their schools to get their commerical rating because they did want to continue to be pilots and it was easier for them to start over from square one.
Yeah, and as far as the police deal, they do hire pilots from the inside and then pay for them to go to school. Not a bad gig, but I would imagine the competition for that is insane.

coolchange
07-09-2004, 10:02 AM
Buddy of mine has a commercial rotary. has flown off and on for many years (18?) basically to get stick time. Is just now thinkin he can quit his 9-5 to fly full time. Oh ya he crashed once too!

Hallett19
07-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Ditto
If she has a college degree, preferably in science and is under 28 yrs old she can go to flight school and fly in the navy, army, marines or a/f.

Havasu Cig
07-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I received my Private Helicopter rating in 1989, and all my time was in a hughes 300 which was renting for $200 an hour back then.
The total cost back then for a Private rating was about 25k including ground school, FAA fee's for your check ride and oral ect...
The R22's are a cheaper way to go, but are a much smaller helicopter, and you have a semi rigid rotor system instead of a fully articulated one.
I went into the Army in the fall of 89 and got my commercial thanks to the U.S government, and all the time was turbine time. It would have been alot more expensive to do this in the civilian world.
Like others have said jobs are scarce for helo pilots, and the Military route is the best way to go if you want to do it for a living.
My buddy that went into the Army with me switched to fix wings when he got out, got his CFI to build time, and now he is flying for American Airlines. IMO there is nothing like fling Helicopters, but fixed wing jobs are easier to find.

Havasu Cig
07-09-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
The problem with the military is you don't get time on any of the helicopters that you would fly in the civilian side. You have the ground school knowledge and can fly, but typically don't have enough hours to go commercial if that is what you wanted to do. At least that is what both the schools I talked to said. One of the schools even said that a couple of guys who flew in the military came to their schools to get their commerical rating because they did want to continue to be pilots and it was easier for them to start over from square one.
Yeah, and as far as the police deal, they do hire pilots from the inside and then pay for them to go to school. Not a bad gig, but I would imagine the competition for that is insane.
I was in OH58's in the Army, which is the same as the Bell 206 Jet Ranger. You can also get your commercial through the Military.

hot_diggity_dog
07-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Cole
My girlfriend is all wound up about inlisting into a helicopter school, her brother and sister are enrolled and are in the first few weeks of instruction.
I have a feeling this is a scam!
It costs each one of them $50,000.00 for an 18 month course. .
Is it me or does $50,000 sound WAY HIGH...and they will arrange financing.....with good credit of course!!
I just hate to see her scammed out of $50,000.
Has anyone heard of schools like this...are they lagit?
Cole I would talk to my Bro (Ray Grimmett) who own's Rainbow Air flight school in Long Beach.
Rainbow Air (http://www.rainbowair.com/)
Tell him Glenn sent you.
I had private lessons from him back in the 80's
He will be able to answer any questions you may have.
Hot (Flew that 421 from LB to Ohio) Diggity Dog
;) :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Havasu Cig is pretty accurate....
I have my private rotor lic...
I have about 300 hrs total, 30 of them turbine.
$ 150 an hour or so with CFI is about the rate, for an R22.
$ 300 an hour for an R44, not even for a old 206 JetRanger.
I got mine at Long Beach at US Helicopters, who are now gone.
You can get your private with ground school for about $20K....
Some may say cheaper, but you don't really want to solo or do your check ride with the minimal hours.
When you want to do some turbine time, you go see Chuck Street "Commander Chuck Street" and fly around with him out of Fullerton while he does the traffic. This you can get for $200-$300 an hour.
If you stick with one school......You can solo & fly there ships for around $130 an hour and that includes insurance.
I am 6' 2" and 200 lbs, so flying around in an R22 for a few hundred hours was a bit tough, but worth it.
I got involved in Helicopters through my business. I build all of the air-to-ground video tracking systems for all of the local SoCal TV stations & police department helicopters. I flew around with them so much, I decided to get my ticket.
It was a great experience....I would reccomend it.
Being a pilot taught me more than just how to fly. It made me look at everything a bit different.....Contingencies....Even driving my boat. It's about cockpit management and decision making. When you meet someone and find out that they are a pilot....They automatically go up a notch or two on your scale.
You think your going to learn how to "FLY" a helicopter !!!!
Well.....It's WAY more than that. Physics...Aerodynamics....Weather.....Way more than you'd think.
Quite a journey !!!!! Loved it !!!!
Even though I don't stay current like I should.
Can you tell I'm excited!!!!!
If you want any other info or referrels for CFI's...PM me...
I still stay in touch with my instructor who lives local.
I went through a couple of CFI's....Some are good pilots, but just can't teach....
CJG

Havasu Hangin'
07-09-2004, 12:02 PM
I'll do it for $25K.
Here you go:
CLICK HERE FOR FLIGHT SCHOOL (http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/helicopter_game.htm)
Please make the check payable to the "HH Petroleum Awareness Fund".

jbtrailerjim
07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
I'll do it for $25K.
Here you go:
CLICK HERE FOR FLIGHT SCHOOL (http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/south_coast/helicopter_game.htm)
Please make the check payable to the "HH Petroleum Awareness Fund".
Ok, now that I wasted a half hour playing that. Damn thats addictive.:wink: :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-09-2004, 12:36 PM
YEA......THANKS!!!!!
I just waisted a half hour......
I might as well go home.......
Hehe.
CJG

SMFRiverRat
07-09-2004, 01:26 PM
I have had my ATP helicopter (CFI-I as well) for over 15 years and aside from teaching I have made dime ZERO. Part of the reason is that I never wanted to leave my home to go fly off a tuna boat or work off shore rigs. I will tell you that I would leave my jet at the gate to go back and fly Helicopters if I could do it in my home town.
Like was mentioned above, Flying a helicopter will make you very smooth in just about every application of aviation and teaches cockpit management as well as always having an escape route in an emergency.
There is a school in Sacramento that is pretty much guaranteeing employment after getting a commercial license. I say bullshit to that. NO FLIGHT SCHOOL CAN GUARANTEE ANY JOB!!!!!!! I have been in aviation for over 20 years(all civilian) and have seen this a hundred times. It's BS!
Unfortunately, a lot of these schools run really close to the red line and will disappear overnight. My suggestion is to never give all the money up front regardless of the so-called discount that they will give you. It's saves a lot of headache if they fold up shop in the middle of the night.
Just my 2 cents from someone that make a living in aviation.

Ultra5150
07-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
I was in OH58's in the Army, which is the same as the Bell 206 Jet Ranger. You can also get your commercial through the Military.
I was an OH-58 Crewchief in Kore and Ft. Lewis, WA. It is a great aircraft.

Trash
07-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Ask her why does she want to do it? For the thrill of it? As a career?
What does she plan to do with all that training once complete? Who will she work for? Will they hire her? How much do they pay? Is it enough to live off of AND pay off the $50k she just borrowed?
My bet is most of the answers to the above questions would not be very reassuring. That $50k is not the best investment in my opinion. It may be priced accurately, but your return would be minimal.
If she just wants to fly, go to a local flying club, joing and take some lessons. It would be a quick way to find out whether or not she really likes it and would be a LOT less expensive.
IF flying is her thing, I would recommend going fixed wing (specifically military). Nothing against helos, but you're pinned in a corner from the beginning in a VERY small market. As mentioned earlier, $50k would go a long way including probably getting an ATP which is far more versatile than a type rating in one helo.
The problem with the military is you don't get time on any of the helicopters that you would fly in the civilian side.
While true there are very few aircraft common to both the civilian and military market, it is false to say you need time in a military aircraft which is the same as one on the outside in order to get hired. If this were the case virtually no military folks would get hired on the outside. This is clearly not the case. I know of no airline that flys F-16s. F-15s etc., yet there are many former military flying 737 etc. It is your experience and ratings that count.
Then she could get on with a carrier flying regional jets.
Be careful what you ask for. If she goes this route plan to work for many years at low pay and low qaulity of life.
I wish her the best in whatever decision she chooses.

Jrocket
07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
What about getting a liscense to fly small planes? How much does that run and how long does it take before you can go and rent a small plane to fly solo?

Sleek-Jet
07-09-2004, 05:57 PM
What about getting a liscense to fly small planes? How much does that run and how long does it take before you can go and rent a small plane to fly solo?
Part 61 minimum time is 40 hrs (20 solo/20 dual), but plan on closer to 50 - 60 hrs. 172's w/ instructors run between 100.00 and 120.00 an hr. Solo, or without instructor, about 80.00 - 100.00 hr. So your looking at a minimum of 4000.00 and probably more along the lines of 6000.00 to get your private pilot liscence.
Once you pass your private pilot check ride you can rent just about any single engine airplane as long as you meet the insurance requirements.
There are other options, like joining a club, or buying your own aircraft and just paying an instructor to fly w/you.

Jrocket
07-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Sleek-Jet
Part 61 minimum time is 40 hrs (20 solo/20 dual), but plan on closer to 50 - 60 hrs. 172's w/ instructors run between 100.00 and 120.00 an hr. Solo, or without instructor, about 80.00 - 100.00 hr. So your looking at a minimum of 4000.00 and probably more along the lines of 6000.00 to get your private pilot liscence.
Once you pass your private pilot check ride you can rent just about any single engine airplane as long as you meet the insurance requirements.
There are other options, like joining a club, or buying your own aircraft and just paying an instructor to fly w/you.
I called here today to get some prices.Whats your thoughts on this place,any?
Flight school (http://www.caaviationservices.com/)

Sleek-Jet
07-09-2004, 06:41 PM
If it's 3 weeks from zero to hero, you will need to fly everyday, sometimes twice a day, and not run into any problems.
The place probably does a pretty good job, sounds like they cater to the guy that want's to start flying as a carreer or foreign pilots (it's way cheaper to fly here than in Europe or other parts of the world).
Go check 'em out, spend a couple hours poking around and asking questions. Then mosey down to the local airport coffee shop and ask what kind of reputation they have. Aviation is an amazingly small community. Liars and shady characters are usually well known.

welk2party
07-09-2004, 06:44 PM
I love helicopters, but they are not to practical for personal use. I am going to get a fixed wing license eventually. My father in law and my friend are both pilots. Nothing like flying to Havasu in an hour anytime you want.

Jrocket
07-09-2004, 06:53 PM
If it's 3 weeks from zero to hero, you will need to fly everyday, sometimes twice a day, and not run into any problems.
The place probably does a pretty good job, sounds like they cater to the guy that want's to start flying as a carreer or foreign pilots (it's way cheaper to fly here than in Europe or other parts of the world).
Go check 'em out, spend a couple hours poking around and asking questions. Then mosey down to the local airport coffee shop and ask what kind of reputation they have. Aviation is an amazingly small community. Liars and shady characters are usually well known.
Thanks for the advice.Ive always wanted my helicopters liscense but I'll be happy with a fixed wing instead for now.My dad and his 3 brothers all fly helicopters so there was alot of interest there for me to get mine.
Im going next week for a demo and tour of the place.Now that I have some spare time Im going to look into it more.

Sleek-Jet
07-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the advice.Ive always wanted my helicopters liscense but I'll be happy with a fixed wing instead for now.My dad and his 3 brothers all fly helicopters so there was alot of interest there for me to get mine.
Im going next week for a demo and tour of the place.Now that I have some spare time Im going to look into it more.
Well good luck, keep us posted.

Jrocket
07-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Well good luck, keep us posted.
Oh yeah....keep your eye on the news..LOL :D

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Fixed wing is way more practical.......
But once your up, it's kinda boring !!!!
Things are WAY more exciting at 500' AGL.......
Especially a loss of power.........
Can you say autorotation.............
Hahahahahahahahaha
CJG

Jrocket
07-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Christopher Gibbons
Hahahahahahahahaha
CJG
check your pm's.

rrrr
07-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Christopher Gibbons
Hahahahahahahahaha
CJG
LMAO :D :D
Uh, do it right or die. And no second chances. Prolly one of the biggest nut checks out there.
Lots of people in this thread expressed it very eloquently....flying a helicopter is way cool. But crud, there just isn't any way to assure that spending the money will result in anything more than a very expensive piece of paper in your wallet.

bigd1
07-10-2004, 10:37 AM
When I was in the army back in the 80s, the helo pilots I knew were all staying in the military because there were no jobs for them anywhere else.
I had a friend who's son got his commercial pilots license and ended up flying cargo for UPS at a whoppin' 35 grand a year. Obviously he was not happy, but it was that or nothing.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-10-2004, 02:23 PM
There is NO money in flying helicopters.......
Unless your REALLY luckey.....
Like was said here already....If you want to do the tuna boats, rack up the hours to get to CFI and try to have some beginner try to kill you, or fly a beat-up tour 206 in Hawaii, then you'll get shit money for a cool job.
I work & fly with the TV Networks & Police & Fire guys..... Now these guys make OK money, but getting a network job is next to impossible and you need to be a cop or fireman first, then get rotor training.
Do it for fun or personal gratification like I did...
Not for a living.....
Oh BTW......You've never lived until you've done a full blown-skid landing-autorotation........Yep....It's a NUT CHECK!!!!!
LOL
CJG
:cool: