PDA

View Full Version : Cash a money order?

Some Kind Of Monster
07-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I bought an item from a man in Cali and paid him up front all but $500 (yeah big item). I promised to send him a $500 money order within 45 days and did so with a circle k money order. He is not claiming that he can't cah a circle k money order because:
NO.1 I DO NOT HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT
NO.2 THE CIRCLE K WOULD NOT CASH IT
NO.3 THE CHECK CASHING PLACES WANT $85 AND UP
NO.4 MY FRIENDS BANK WOULD PUT A 4 WEEK HOLD
ON THE MONEY
Now, I thought that you can cash a money order at any bank with proper ID.. Is it just me or is this strange? He says that I should send him a postal money order instead. Why would he be able to cash that any easier? All in all this guy is a complete moron that doesn't have a kindergarden education. I just want to make sure that I cover my ass. He is now saying that if I don't get him a postal money order in the mail overnight that he is going to charge interest. In the eyes of the law haven't I completed my end of the deal?

topless
07-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Well yea, maybe he should get a checking account duh! Tell him sorry bud you're SOL.

Evo22
07-09-2004, 03:19 PM
tell him to overnight the circle k money order and you will send him a postal one back postal money orders are easier to cash than 7-11 or circle k or whatever if he doesnt want to do that than he is on his own

Some Kind Of Monster
07-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Hmmm, Whats so difficult about a 7-11 or circke k money order?

WaTchTheGelCoat
07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Some Kind Of Monster
I bought an item from a man in Cali and paid him up front all but $500 (yeah big item). I promised to send him a $500 money order within 45 days and did so with a circle k money order. He is not claiming that he can't cah a circle k money order because:
NO.1 I DO NOT HAVE A BANK ACCOUNT
NO.2 THE CIRCLE K WOULD NOT CASH IT
NO.3 THE CHECK CASHING PLACES WANT $85 AND UP
NO.4 MY FRIENDS BANK WOULD PUT A 4 WEEK HOLD
ON THE MONEY
Now, I thought that you can cash a money order at any bank with proper ID.. Is it just me or is this strange? He says that I should send him a postal money order instead. Why would he be able to cash that any easier? All in all this guy is a complete moron that doesn't have a kindergarden education. I just want to make sure that I cover my ass. He is now saying that if I don't get him a postal money order in the mail overnight that he is going to charge interest. In the eyes of the law haven't I completed my end of the deal?
Tell him to pound sand, you both aggreed on a money order right? Its not your fault that he doesnt have a bank account.

Topock Junkie
07-09-2004, 03:54 PM
Tell him to give it back and you will give him four hundred cash instead...

welk2party
07-09-2004, 04:05 PM
You gave him a negotiable instrument. End of story. Done deal.

Some Kind Of Monster
07-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by welk2party
You gave him a negotiable instrument. End of story. Done deal.
Thats what Im looking for. Thanks!

MagicMtnDan
07-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Get the money order back and send him a box of pennies COD! :D

Rexone
07-09-2004, 06:17 PM
If he did not ask for a "postal" money order up front I'd say you've completed your obligation.
Just save your receipt in case he sues you in small claims or something stupid like that.

ahhell
07-09-2004, 06:19 PM
money order is money order...as long as you didnt "make it";)

roln 20s
07-09-2004, 06:53 PM
money order is money order...as long as you didnt "make it"
Yep, I worked for WellsFargo for nearly 4 years. Most banks may charge a small fee (less than $10 bucks) to cash a money order if you don't have an account, but that is a GUARANTEED FUND check, and is GOOD ANYWHERE. Any CircleK should cash that thing...and if not, any check cashing place would love to get something that will actually guarantee them money. This guy is stupid like you said...but you did your end of the deal, now its time for him to learn how to cash a check.
Roln 20s

Keithb87
07-09-2004, 07:59 PM
He's S.O.L. Dude. You did what you agreed to do (As always :D )
Don't Sweat it. As long as you have the reciept for the M.O. you are covered.
The only other thing you could of done was to send it certified mail Signature required.
:D

Dr. Eagle
07-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by WaTchTheGelCoat
Tell him to pound sand, you both aggreed on a money order right? Its not your fault that he doesnt have a bank account.
He needs to get into the 1900s and get a friggin bank account!

Some Kind Of Monster
07-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Keithb87
The only other thing you could of done was to send it certified mail Signature required.
:D
Keith, I did.. I have proof that he got the money. I wish you could have seen this guy. What a joke.
I just got this in my e-mail:
Billy
Are agreement was for you to pay me $500.00
in cash by a certain date.that means that i should have
$500 dollars in my hands that i could spend at anytime after receiving the $500 On the email i sent to you the friendly reminder i told you to send postal money order or cash That way i would of had my $500 by the due date which has already past circle k money orders are not cash in hand.circle k would not even cash them the banks here you have to have and account at the bank is why the banks would not cash them.
my other alliterative is the cash checking place were i found one that only wants 10 percent which is $50.that means that i still would not have the$500 to our contract even after the due date
So to make it simple you send me $50 postal money order that is what it is going to cost me to cash the circle K money orders plus the other $20 to our other agreement and then we can put and end to our contract let me no what you want to do thank you Terry Moore WAS SENT BY EMAIL ON THE NINTH DAY OF JULY 2004 NOTICE OF BREACH OF CONTRACT
This guy is a trip. I have the contract. It says nothing of "postal" money order. Should I continue telling this guy he is SOL, or try something else? I need advise fast.. I am leaving town tomorrow.

Dr. Eagle
07-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Not knowing what this is for, I'd have to say if you got him a negotiable instrument in the right amount... you are off the hook... if you can prove it was delivered on time and you have copies of everthing... seems he has nothing to stand on.
Most people in the 21st century have a bank account. Even in the 20th century for that matter.
I'd very clearly tell him that it isn't stated what TYPE of money order it had to be and that you have fulfilled your end of the bargain.
My $.02

welk2party
07-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Some Kind Of Monster
Keith, I did.. I have proof that he got the money. I wish you could have seen this guy. What a joke.
I just got this in my e-mail:
Billy
Are agreement was for you to pay me $500.00
in cash by a certain date.that means that i should have
$500 dollars in my hands that i could spend at anytime after receiving the $500 On the email i sent to you the friendly reminder i told you to send postal money order or cash That way i would of had my $500 by the due date which has already past circle k money orders are not cash in hand.circle k would not even cash them the banks here you have to have and account at the bank is why the banks would not cash them.
my other alliterative is the cash checking place were i found one that only wants 10 percent which is $50.that means that i still would not have the$500 to our contract even after the due date
So to make it simple you send me $50 postal money order that is what it is going to cost me to cash the circle K money orders plus the other $20 to our other agreement and then we can put and end to our contract let me no what you want to do thank you Terry Moore WAS SENT BY EMAIL ON THE NINTH DAY OF JULY 2004 NOTICE OF BREACH OF CONTRACT
This guy is a trip. I have the contract. It says nothing of "postal" money order. Should I continue telling this guy he is SOL, or try something else? I need advise fast.. I am leaving town tomorrow.
The guy is obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed. He tries using big words and gets them wrong. Alliterative v. Alternative. That was funny. He is trying to blame you for his inability to cash the check. If he has no account to cash the check, that is his problem. If he was open to receiving a money order and did not specifiy a type from the begining then screw him. If you want him off your back, make copies of all the contracts and whatever else, write down your conversations with dates and times, then do nothing.
You have satisfied the agreement. Tell him you have nicely, and ask him not to contact you anymore.

Debbolas
07-10-2004, 09:51 AM
are = our
no=know
at least he spelled agreement correctly................

Misogynist
07-10-2004, 10:24 AM
The guy probably doesn't have a checking account because he wrote so many bad checks he is on the inter-bank list of unwanted customers.... The problem with 7-11 and Circle-K money orders is so many of them have been counterfeited.... Tough luck for him...Even if he sends it back to you.... you would have to apply to Circle - k to get your money back.... The guy is obviously in dire straits... he should have specified he wanted cash.... :frown:

HM
07-10-2004, 10:34 AM
Tell him to pound sand. It is not your fault the guy can't cash a money order like normal people.
Judge Judy would kick him in the junk!;)

Misogynist
07-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Some people amaze me about how they perceive what is equitable.... This guy thinks like a child... because he is dinged by a check cashing place... you should be obligated to pay for his financial predicament.... next he will be asking for 2.00 for some toilet paper to wipe his butt because he had to relieve himself while standing at the check cashing house.... duh.... On another board there was a guy looking for a mercruiser engine plug... the bolt on ones are $30.00.... I had a cut off end from a cable... he asked me how much I wanted for it... I told him he could have it for free... just put 3.00 in an envelope and repay me for the postage... that was 6 months ago... he told me he couldn't be bothered to cut a check for $3.00.... I told him to just put 3 bucks in an envelope and mail it... I'd take the chance on my mail man not needing the dough... I still haven't gotten the money... it's been six months.... :p