PDA

View Full Version : San Vicente on Sunday.....

Mandelon
07-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Stayin' local this weekend. Let me know if you can make it.

rvrkaosI
07-10-2004, 07:10 AM
I was thinking about hitting this lake, is reservations required, or do you need to get there early before the lake is full? Also, it this lake as big as castaic, or as small as puddingstone?
Thanks,
Bob

Mandelon
07-10-2004, 03:34 PM
It is probably in between the two as far as size. Its not really big, but has a few coves to hang out in. Usually weekends fill up, and the limit is based on the number of parking spaces. Somewhere around a hundred I think. We usually go early and haven't had a problem getting on except for one holiday we tried to go.......but no reservations are taken. I have seen folks leave their boats in line a few days ahead of time though. (There are three lines so it works out)
It has 14 miles of shoreline and is just over 1000 acres.
It is the only lake in SD that you can ski on. Its got some decent beaches to hang out on. I heard Saturdays are less crowded than Sundays. The weather is almost always nice there.
RB

rvrkaosI
07-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Thanks,
May check this lake out soon
Bob

SchellSchock
07-12-2004, 09:02 AM
I use this lake pretty regular, so I thought I'd give what info I know.
Maximum amount of boats on the water is limited to parking spaces, 100, as Mandelon say's. Saturday's are not as busy as Sunday's although most summer weekends the lake reachs max capacity by 8:00am-8:30am Saturday, 7:30am-8:00am Sunday. After limit is reached it is 1 boat off and 1 boat on. I have seen the line approach 30 boats in line waiting at 11:00am. We either go early, 6:30am-7:00am, or we wait till about 3:00pm and usually can drive right up no wait. If you ski or wakeboard as we do the first couple of hours in the morning are the best times, and second best is the last hour or so before the lake closes. The rest of the time the water is pretty rough for water sports with the exception of tubing. ,There is a slalom course and a wakeboard course which you have to pay $10.00 extra for a 4 hour time slot and share with 4 other boats if you are a diehard watersports enthusiast. Otherwise it is $5.00 boat launch & $5.00 per person. The best "cove is at the back NE corner called Kimbal Arm, has a small sandbar and is proteced from the rough water as the entrance area is a 10 mph area for kidie watersports, sking. The speed limit is 35mph but a couple of speed runs are possible if you keep an eye out for the patrol boats. All and all not a bad place to spend a day on the water especially when it's 15 minutes from the house.

Mandelon
07-12-2004, 01:17 PM
I like it there a lot. Its like a mini vacation, even just for a few hours.

BarryMac
07-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
Stayin' local this weekend. Let me know if you can make it.
Did you go, if so how was it???
gjb