PDA

View Full Version : 12V Power Source Upgrade Questions

Elk Chaser
07-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Bought a used boat with an decent audio system (new to the high power audio world) Don't know much about what it is but what I do know is it's a Pioneer stereo with Rockford Fosgate speakers and amp (I think) as well as a capacitor.
I've ran the boat and the stock alternator is not keeping up with the power requirements at all (no surprise there).
I just wanted to run my plan for new power by everyone and get any feedback and make sure I don't screw it up.
I am planning on getting a new alternator somewhere around 94 to 120 amps (is that enough?). Installing one new Optima battery to power the engine and necessary blowers etc. (is that enough?)and then using the two existing batteries I have now for the stereo system (is that enough).
I know the proper way is to install an isolator to separate the batteries but do I need to separate the two stereo batteries as well (either requiring two isolators or one three way isolator)
AND does the capacitor need to be isolated as well? I would not think so seeing as it needs to be re powered by the batteries when I'm shut down. At least that seems right.
I want to upgrade the power system and get it right the first time, what I have obviously is not adequate.
Any help would be appreciated.

Havasu Hangin'
07-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Well...you'll probably get varying opinions...but here's mine.
Originally posted by Elk Chaser
I am planning on getting a new alternator somewhere around 94 to 120 amps (is that enough?).
Yes. Make sure it is a marine unit, and replace the stock wire with a beefy one to keep from frying it. Also, run the wire away from the engine (as much as possible) to keep it from soaking heat.
Installing one new Optima battery to power the engine and necessary blowers etc. (is that enough?)and then using the two existing batteries I have now for the stereo system (is that enough).
I used to run a three battery setup with my last (2,000+ watt) system, and it worked fine. Two batteries for the stereo is a good start, but it's really gonna depend on how much the stereo draws, and how you listen to it (how long with the engine off).
I know the proper way is to install an isolator to separate the batteries but do I need to separate the two stereo batteries as well (either requiring two isolators or one three way isolator)
I used to run an isolator, but got better results when I removed it (went to Perko switches). In fact, I still have a 3-bank marine isolator if you want it (I think it was $120 new).
..AND does the capacitor need to be isolated as well?
No.

Elk Chaser
07-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'm at least on the right track
Interesting that you had better results with the switches, I've read that the batteries life will be reduced without the isolators because they never have the same demand (for recharge) but the alternator will essentially sense the average demand and deliver that to all the batteries resulting in over charging some and under charging others.

Havasu Hangin'
07-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Interesting that you had better results with the switches, I've read that the batteries life will be reduced without the isolators because they never have the same demand (for recharge) but the alternator will essentially sense the average demand and deliver that to all the batteries resulting in over charging some and under charging others.
Isolators have diodes in them, which create resistance. By ditching the isolator and installing a couple of Perko switches, I gained 1/2-1 volt (depending on the state of the batteries) when the alternator was running.
Yes, an isolator will charge each battery independant of each other. However, the regulator in the alternator will do the same thing for two like batteries in parallel (like if the Perko switch is on "all").
So, unless you are running different types of batteries, I wouldn't worry about batteries equalizing each other or receiving an uneven charge shortening battery life.
There are switched isolators that essentially disconnect the batteries from each other when the engine is off. There are no diodes, and all the batteries are charged in parallel when the engine is running.
So pick your poison.

boxscore
07-11-2004, 07:50 AM
HEY ELKCHASER! QUICK! Close out this thread, or void it, or do whatever the hell you have to do to get this thread removed before Havasu Hangin gets lambasted for his opinions. :D

Havasu Hangin'
07-11-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by boxscore
HEY ELKCHASER! QUICK! Close out this thread, or void it, or do whatever the hell you have to do to get this thread removed before Havasu Hangin gets lambasted for his opinions. :D
Yes...Boxscore has a point.
Please don't listen to me because "I'm a pretty serious condescending schmuck, and I am nothing more than a journeyman wire jockey."
Please keep in mind that I am just "an internet expert" that doesn't really know anything, so please consult "real experts."
Thanks, Boxscore for reminding me. I owe you one.
:cool:

Elk Chaser
07-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Heck I love a good intellectual flaming now and then :D
Too bad those doing the flaming are usually low on the intelect or it would be much more interesting :p

ROZ
07-11-2004, 09:14 PM
I have some extra Uranium 238 lying around. You could have an eternal power source with this, a couple of diodes, and some terminal ends :D

Elk Chaser
07-12-2004, 05:17 AM
Now you've done it, the FBI's counter terrorism group has just tagged this thread.

ROZ
07-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Now you've done it, the FBI's counter terrorism group has just tagged this thread. As long as they bring beer and loose women, I'm all for it :D

Mr. Naudio
07-28-2004, 09:23 AM
The alternator prob you are having could be fixed by just removing the caps.
(in my opinion)
caps dont work with stock alts as they discharge much faster than they charge.
Thus once you hit that big bass note and the cap dumps the alt now has to recharge the cap as well as power the system.
If the boat is not running the batteries will have to do this.
I dont think caps are a good idea.
ok Roz im ready for my education on this subject ;)

riverbound
07-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
The alternator prob you are having could be fixed by just removing the caps.
(in my opinion)
caps dont work with stock alts as they discharge much faster than they charge.
Thus once you hit that big bass note and the cap dumps the alt now has to recharge the cap as well as power the system.
If the boat is not running the batteries will have to do this.
I dont think caps are a good idea.
Caps in a boat= waste of money, spend the money on a better alternator and better batteries.

ROZ
07-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Naudio
Okay , but just for you... (http://www.bcae1.com/) :D

Mr. Naudio
07-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Thanks Roz that site will make for som good reading.

Mr. Naudio
07-29-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Thanks Roz that site will make for som good reading.