PDA

View Full Version : Starters One after the other

Shark In The Pond
07-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Tired of putting them in and getting costly since a stock one won't turn it . Whats the secret ...new bell housing with the starter at the top ?

572Daytona
07-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Mine's at the top, but when there is water in the boat, the flywheel will pick it up into the starter anyway. I have to have mine rebuilt every 2 or 3 years. I don't replace, just find an automotive electric place in your area that can rebuild it for you. It costs about $65 or so for a rebuild.

Squirtin Thunder
07-10-2004, 02:56 PM
If you spend the money on a marine starter it may help because of the shielding. I have mine on top and a spare down low. You just never know. My main starter is a prestolite and they run somewhere around $350 spare is about $35-$50.
Jim

bigpapasean
07-10-2004, 02:57 PM
It takes quit a few stock starters to justifie three hundred and forty dollars fore a chrome top mount starter. :eek:

Jet Hydro
07-10-2004, 03:48 PM
If a Stock one wont turn it you`v got problems. I can start all of mine on stock BIG Block Starters all day long. I have some pretty high HP motors just to let you know. The smallest one is in excess of 750hp. Make sure you get a starter for a 1 ton truck with a big block and you should be fine. Try telling your parts man you have a 1979-1ton truck.

SPECTRABRENT
07-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Try a gear reduction starter.
R&B in Parker, AZ.
Brent

Squirtin Thunder
07-10-2004, 04:43 PM
That Prestolite starter is black. I think the chrome one is another $150.

bigpapasean
07-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Squirtin Thunder
That Prestolite starter is black. I think the chrome one is another $150.
ThatÂ’s just focking crazy:eek:

NorCal Gameshow
07-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by manuel
Thursday my 5 month old starter fell to pieces, gear reduction marine,http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/950DCP01683.JPG
Friday my rebuilder called and said it was ready, new housing and bearing, he felt sorry for all the bad luck I've been having and when I asked how much he said $25. FINALLY something good happens :D
is it shimmed properly?

Fiat48
07-10-2004, 06:55 PM
I have a top mount starter bell housing for a Chevy. It's brand new and polished and 1/2 the price of a new one if you decide to go that way.

manuel
07-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Well this is weird but the problem was I had all new gauges, depth finder, extra bilge pump added, and power outlets installed under the dash, I had a "professional" do the wiring, it was harder to start than before and while running the volt gauge was at 18 volts, except when I measured at the battery it showed 12.5 V whether running or not,
the starter guy told me to check the volts at the alternator while not running and I only had 7.85 volts at starting so I had to adjust the timing to get it to start easier which made it want to kick back easier and I had to pump the throttle to start and that was just making it worse with all the unburned fuel and the wimpy spark, the old wire from the alt. was too small and had gotten hot because the insulation was hard and cracked, they had wired it wrong, I disconected the old and made a new 10 gauge wire with soldered copper terminals straight to the starter solenoid, fires up INSTANTLY now and no kick backs, gauge reads 14 V while running,

Shark In The Pond
07-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Jet Hydro
If a Stock one wont turn it you`v got problems. I can start all of mine on stock BIG Block Starters all day long. I have some pretty high HP motors just to let you know. The smallest one is in excess of 750hp. Make sure you get a starter for a 1 ton truck with a big block and you should be fine. Try telling your parts man you have a 1979-1ton truck.
Went from the OLDS and we built your basic 10-1, 468 BBC and I put on a new not rebuilt starter on it and it would start it the first time ..but when I would have some heat in the motor and try to restart it the starter would drag ? Put one of these high dollar jobies on it and it stopped the problem ? Then I ran into the problem of not having enough ump to turn the starter without having to jump it straight from the battery so I put on the Painless hot shot relay and fixed the problem ! Will have to look into this 79 1 ton truck dealio you speak of thanks.

Shark In The Pond
07-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Fiat48
I have a top mount starter bell housing for a Chevy. It's brand new and polished and 1/2 the price of a new one if you decide to go that way.
I will keep this inmind ..thanks