PDA

View Full Version : Bravo III Hard to Shift

Mackie007
07-10-2004, 07:57 PM
5.7 1996 Bravo III
It is very difficult to put in gear or take out of gear, forward or reverse. Once in gear the throttle moves like normal. I bought the boat used and it has been like this since I bought it two years ago.
When I pulled my drive for service this season I installed a new lower shift cable. The old cable looked fine but I figured I couldnÂ’t hurt and might even help the shifting, but it did not help the hard shifting.
While the drive was off I also pulled the rear gear housing cover to get a look at the shifting fork. I didnÂ’t know what to look for but shifting the drive using a wrench on the shifting forks square tab seemed smooth. It took just a bit of pressure to start the shift but then drops right in gear. Hmmm kinda like when IÂ’m driving the boat. I couldnÂ’t see any damage or abnormal looking wear on any of the shift forks or gears. Also the gear oil was very clean and engine alignment was right on.
The controls work real smooth with the outdrive off, so IÂ’m guessing the outdrive is the problem. Anyway I hate taking anything in to get it worked on but my plan at this time is to pull the drive and take it to a professional.
Any suggestions or advise welcome,
Best Regards,
Mac

Cole Sanger
03-12-2006, 10:37 AM
I found this old post. I am having the same problem this guy was. Not sure about what is causing it though. Anyone have any ideas?

mike37
03-12-2006, 05:07 PM
when you remove the back cap that covers the shift link their is a spring loaded button that locks it in gear or neutral if the spring gets gunk ed up the button wont work smooth clean it and re grease see if that works

mike37
03-12-2006, 05:31 PM
try this
link (http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/PartsExpress/ProductSelection/ServiceParts/PartSelectionframeSet.asp)