PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket "O" ring?

paradigm shift
07-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I know it has been dicussed before but I am looking at getting away from Copper.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4210&highlight=cometic
Block is "O"ringed and receiver groove in heads. Aluminum heads and I was thinking of going to Cometic or Felpro gaskets. Questions.
1. Do I deck the block to grind the wire rings down flat?
2. What about "O" ring reciever grooves in the heads.
BBC 1071 running low boost 5-6 psi.
I am going to Cometic to see what they reccomend also but would like to see if anyone has some expierence with this change.

Willis
07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
paradigm shift
My machine shop decked the block with copper O ring wire in the groove and I did not have any problems when I switched to Cometic
The receiver grove in the head was filled with copper too.
Willis

paradigm shift
07-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks WIllis,
Cometic reccomended decking to get rid of the grooves which I expected. Mine has stainless wire in the block so if I understand you correctly your machine shop filled the grooves with copperwire in the block and the heads then decked it flat.
Thanks again and I may just go back with copper for this go around. I really would like to start another build up from scratch but not enough $$$$ in the pot at this point.

carreraboat
07-12-2004, 06:39 PM
wouldnt think you needed to go o-ring at that low of boost unless you static comp is high?

djdtpr
07-13-2004, 05:28 PM
I am running right at 11-1 static and 12 lbs of boost and i am only running fel pro 1017-1 gaskets no o ring or anything and so far have not had head gasket failure,everything else but not head gasket.

paradigm shift
07-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by djdplacecraft
I am running right at 11-1 static and 12 lbs of boost and i am only running fel pro 1017-1 gaskets no o ring or anything and so far have not had head gasket failure,everything else but not head gasket.
11-1 you must be an alky! I can relate to your comment of everything else going wrong. I have gone through a few teething pains along the way myself. Thanks for the feed back on Felpro I know they make good products also.
Motor was set up with copper and "O" ringed when I got it.
I like the HOW LONG IT RUNS HARD!! :D

djdtpr
07-13-2004, 06:59 PM
Paradigm its not on alchy yet it was suposed to be but funds ran short and didnt get to set up injection so for now its carburated and on vp c-12 and lots of it with the timing set pretty far back.I was looking at the cometec gaskets but they want about 225-250 a pair so my wallet said to try the fell pro.I have heard nothing but good about the cometec gasket though.

Q-ROTOR WARLOCK
07-14-2004, 05:07 AM
GO WITH COMETIC AND PUTTING COPPER IN THE O-RING WILL SEAL IF DONE RIGHT ,WE RUN COMETIC ON 30PSI PRO-MOD DRAG CARS AND HIGHER COPPER IS LIKE A BUGGY WIP !!! A THING OF THE PAST
IT WORKS ,YES BUT SO DOES ALOT OF THINGS ,ITS JUST SOME WORK BETTER ( COMETIC ) ;) :D :D :D
IF THERES NO DETONATION A 10-17 ,ECT WOULD WORK FINE !!:D
Sorry just noticed my caps lock was on.

Q-ROTOR WARLOCK
07-14-2004, 05:30 PM
TTT

paradigm shift
07-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks to all. Yea the cooper is going by by. Block and heads go to machine shop in the morning. :D
Now I just have to gather all the parts and MONEY. :rolleyes:

wideopen545
07-14-2004, 06:36 PM
TRY THE FELPRO 1027-1 HAVE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK WITH THESE

TN-Daytona30
07-20-2004, 06:37 AM
I know these Cometics are suppose to
be great about sealing cylinder pressure,
but any issues with water leaks or pressure. Still apply dry???
Thanks,
Mike

paradigm shift
07-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by wideopen545
TRY THE FELPRO 1027-1 HAVE HAD VERY GOOD LUCK WITH THESE
Well going with FelPro this time around. You install dry and do you retorque after running a bit? My understanding is you do not need to retorque but old habits die hard.

Unchained
07-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Q-ROTOR WARLOCK
COPPER IS LIKE A BUGGY WIP !!! A THING OF THE PAST
IT WORKS ,YES BUT SO DOES ALOT OF THINGS ,ITS JUST SOME WORK BETTER ( COMETIC ) ;) :D :D :D
[/B]
I didn't realize copper was a thing of the past.
I'm still running the same copper head gaskets as last year.
They didn't leak then and they still don't.
I'm not using O-rings either and I've run it up to 20 lbs boost.
I was always told that no gasket could match the heat transfer of copper.

flat broke
07-22-2004, 11:01 AM
one thing to look at on the Cometic gaskets with Ex O-ringed blocks. On my Gen IV BBC the sealing ridge on the standard cometic gasket isn't round. It has some extra contours to it and you have to ensure that they do not intersect the old grove from your o-ring. The sealing ridge needs to be completely inside the old o-ring groove. In the instance of my build, my builder was on top of his stuff, caught this and had cometic make up a new gasket with a round sealing ridge. Otherwise combustion gas would have been able to travel through the old o-ring groove, under the sealing ridge and on out the side of the head, or to a water passage etc.
I'll be able to tell you better how it worked out a week from today!
Chris