PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure for small block chevy - does it realy matter?

baddassbaron
07-12-2004, 04:35 AM
Many threads identify we need to be around 6psi for fuel pressure. With a stock mercruiser fuel pump you get around 10psi, does it really matter, doesnt the carb (750 double pumper) also moderate the fuel?

Hotcrusader76
07-12-2004, 04:44 AM
You should be safe at 6-7 psi, 8 pounds being optimal. Any pressure higher than 8 will enduce needle failure on the Holley carburetor. No ifs, ands, or buts...
~Ty

baddassbaron
07-12-2004, 04:56 AM
The current gage reads and bounces around 10psi. So whats a decent fuel pressure gage I should invest in and where can I get one ie: Jegs, Summit, or a typical auto parts store??

Hotcrusader76
07-12-2004, 05:22 AM
It's been found through my experiences that the liquid filled gauges are the best over the non-liquid, but they only last a season or less anyhow despite which one you get.
Some jetboaters have bought the nice Autometer gauges and lost them in two months...where as I've bought the Jegs brand only to find it still working after two years....hit and miss....or should I say they're all the same minus the custom dial faces.
0-15psi liquid filled small face gauge will work. Plan on regulating the pressure down if it is for sure at 10psi. Sometimes a bad gauge will read eroneous values.
~Ty

Fiat48
07-12-2004, 07:31 AM
The biggy is having fuel pressure at wide open throttle. That means the bowls are full and your fuel delivery system is adequate. That's what it's all about.

bordsmnj
07-12-2004, 02:09 PM
yeah, i learned the hard way about what Fiat just said. low presure i think is what leaned out my last jet boat motor and killed it.