PDA

View Full Version : Sofa King

Bense468
07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Burning the midnight oil on that drive home huh. I passed you up on the 10 a few miles past rice road. I Like the excursion.

Phat Matt
07-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks. It took me 6 hours to get home. There was a bad accident on Rice road and I was one of the first on scene. We had to keep this guy alive until Mercy Air showed up. It took almost an hour. I am still a little freaked out by it. This guy rolled his car a few times and was in bad shape. He was unconcious the whole time and busted up. I though he died on us once just before the chopper got there. :(

spute
07-12-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Phat Matt
Thanks. It took me 6 hours to get home. There was a bad accident on Rice road and I was one of the first on scene. We had to keep this guy alive until Mercy Air showed up. It took almost an hour. I am still a little freaked out by it. This guy rolled his car a few times and was in bad shape. He was unconcious the whole time and busted up. I though he died on us once just before the chopper got there. :(
every weekend there is a post about wrecks on Rice Road. I will never drive it. EVER.

Acommanderguy
07-12-2004, 11:01 AM
where is rice road?

PlyaPlya22
07-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Matt...way to step up to the plate. It's people like you that help make the world a better place.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Far too many accidents on that road to justify driving it. It's only 20 miles shorter than going in to Ehrenberg and across the farm land. Take the extra time and travel a safer road, the river is still going to be there when you get there.

welk2party
07-12-2004, 11:15 AM
DAMN! Thank god you were there to help. I am not a big fan of Rice road but it is the best way to get to Havasu Landing.

WILDERTHANU
07-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Had the same thing happen to us comming in Ehrenberg to Parker about a year ago...only a head on. My brother pulled up on it minutes after, drunk driver and state trooper. Was a real ugly deal. I take rice road comming in.....and Ehrenberg going home almost always, they are both dangerous!!

LaveyJet
07-12-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by PlyaPlya22
Matt...way to step up to the plate. It's people like you that help make the world a better place.
Totally agree, good work.

spute
07-12-2004, 11:54 AM
sorry bro..in my quick rant i failed to give you props. Way to go. it takes a decent human to get involved.

cola
07-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Matt, what time did you leave Havasu. I got to Parker last night & went left at the light and my wife said whats up. " I don't know" I just didn't want to deal with Rice Road.
Late, Mike&Kim
Props to you & the wife.

TheEduKATor
07-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Matt,
I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I hope Jen and you are both fine. I'm glad you got in alright. Good job helping out and keeping your composure. That's why I like rolling out with you and Jen, you are two of the nicest people around. Take it easy a little bit and we'll have to hook up sometime for some 40's to calm your nerves.

Bense468
07-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Yeah then I was only a little ways behind you. It was a small yellow car out in the desert pretty busted up. When I came by the fire truck and medics were already there.
Good call on stopping. Hope everything is well.

Goldilocks
07-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by TheEduKATor
Matt,
I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I hope Jen and you are both fine. I'm glad you got in alright. Good job helping out and keeping your composure. That's why I like rolling out with you and Jen, you are two of the nicest people around. Take it easy a little bit and we'll have to hook up sometime for some 40's to calm your nerves.
Actually, it was boys weekend so I wasn't with him. I was driving home from Vegas when I called him and he told me all about it. I couldn't help crying after we hung up. I am proud of him and the friends who were with him for staying with the guy until the helicopter got there. I don't think I would have been able to handle it if I was there. :(

Kilrtoy
07-12-2004, 05:28 PM
AWesome,
That is what makes us a great society. GREAT JOB for helping a fellow human being, that can be a very trying experience on your soul. DONT HOLD IT IN........
Actually, it was boys weekend so I wasn't with him
What is a boys weekend.....
I prefer girls weekend

Phat Matt
07-12-2004, 06:06 PM
I am sure any of you would have do the same. Many people did stop to help but what more can you really do until the pros get there. We talked to the guy in spanish and english, made sure his head was stabilized and kept him company. It was a little suzuki hatch back that rolled at about 70. It looks as if he probably just fell asleep at the wheel. He was an older Mexican man, probably in his 50's. We searched the area to see if anybody else had been ejected but found nothing. Here's one of the crazy things though that gave me goose bumps. He had a statue of I think St Christopher, that was about a foot and a half tall with about a 6 inch square base that landed upright next the the door of the car facing him...like someone had put it there and it wasn't broken at all. The rest of his stuff spread out over a 100 feet. I am not a big religious guy, but it was weird seeing that. Another guy saw it and stood in front of the car praying for a while.
I think I am going to take a different route to Havasu from now on.

Debbolas
07-12-2004, 06:10 PM
I am glad you are home safe. It is hard to help out at an accident...( I know)
Good Job Matt!
:D

Doctor Feniks
07-12-2004, 08:55 PM
i was with matt this weekend and was one of the first people to do an initial assesment on the guy prior to the ambulance arriving. it appears he fell asleep and swerved into the shoulder, overcorrected and shot accross the road only to be launched into the air as he hit the embankment ridge. his car flipped multiple times and landed on all 4 tires. when we got to him he had been unconcious for about 10 min and was in pretty bad shape. luckily, someone had stopped and knew to not move him and support his neck. in any trauma situation, it's important to assess the patient's GCS (Glascow Coma Scale). it's based on a quick survey of the patient's motor response, verbal response and eye movements. a normal person has a GCS of 15 whereas a dead person has a GCS of 3. when we got there, this guy had a GCS of 6 which is associated with about a 50% mortality rate (also, anything below an 8 is an indication for intubation). he was breathing very shallowly and slowly, had fixed, slightly dilated pupils (bad sign) and was essentially unresponsive to any kind of stimuli. he had a badly broken jaw, broken left forearm and obvious head and neck trauma (was bleeding from his left ear and from multiple lacerations on his scalp). IMO, this guy had probably less than a 50% chance of surviving this....although i'd like to see his head CT to be sure. anyways....there were alot of people who stopped and provided support until the paramedics arrived. i know this guy might never get the chance to say it....but it was impressive to see the amount of care and support that was there and i for one appreciated it. thanks to all who stopped and helped out.

Phat Matt
07-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Feniks
i was with matt this weekend and was one of the first people to do an initial assesment on the guy prior to the ambulance arriving. it appears he fell asleep and swerved into the shoulder, overcorrected and shot accross the road only to be launched into the air as he hit the embankment ridge. his car flipped multiple times and landed on all 4 tires. when we got to him he had been unconcious for about 10 min and was in pretty bad shape. luckily, someone had stopped and knew to not move him and support his neck. in any trauma situation, it's important to assess the patient's GCS (Glascow Coma Scale). it's based on a quick survey of the patient's motor response, verbal response and eye movements. a normal person has a GCS of 15 whereas a dead person has a GCS of 3. when we got there, this guy had a GCS of 6 which is associated with about a 50% mortality rate (also, anything below an 8 is an indication for intubation). he was breathing very shallowly and slowly, had fixed, slightly dilated pupils (bad sign) and was essentially unresponsive to any kind of stimuli. he had a badly broken jaw, broken left forearm and obvious head and neck trauma (was bleeding from his left ear and from multiple lacerations on his scalp). IMO, this guy had probably less than a 50% chance of surviving this....although i'd like to see his head CT to be sure. anyways....there were alot of people who stopped and provided support until the paramedics arrived. i know this guy might never get the chance to say it....but it was impressive to see the amount of care and support that was there and i for one appreciated it. thanks to all who stopped and helped out.
This guy see's this stuff all the time at Loma Linda. It still freaks me out to see someone dying. :(
Other than that though, it was a great weekend. So Dr. Feniks, are you on restriction? Is the wedding still on? I already paid for my tux. :p

Doctor Feniks
07-13-2004, 05:51 AM
yep....still on. i finally got tito puentes to go get his tux fitted so we're all good. gimme a call today.
dr. "blue lagoon" feniks