PDA

View Full Version : ford lifters?

phegan
07-12-2004, 08:57 PM
help, I have just started my 460 for the first time. ( valve covers off). I primed the oil pump with an old distributor shaft. I could see oil dumping out of a hole below the intake manifold( inside the eng)
my question is this how long does it take for the oil to start coming out the rocker arms?
It seems to start at the no 1 cylinder and work its way around toward no 5. No 5 and 6 seem to still be dry( im squirting oil on the rocker arms)with about 5 min idle time. this is the engine's first run. also the 5 and 6 lifters are quiet now but still no oil coming out of the wee holes.
gotta say the eng sounds nice. ( it fired up on the first crank)
P

LakesOnly
07-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by phegan
help, I primed the oil pump...I could see oil dumping out of a hole below the intake manifold( inside the eng)
P
Elaborate on this please...do you have all your passageway plugs in?
LO

phegan
07-13-2004, 03:04 AM
I didn't build the motor , a machine shop did.
If you look down the dist hole, you can see oil coming out of a horizontal 1/2 dia hole that faces the back of the eng. This all happens as i was priming the oil pump( my thinking at the time was that this was normal and that the dist would some how block off the opening)
truth is i'm not that familiar with the internal goings on in a 460.
thanks, P

Rampager
07-13-2004, 08:17 AM
That hole down by the dist lubricates the dist gear, thats definatly normal.
Im not sure I know what you mean about oil below the intake manifold? Or are you meaning the same hole?
There is a little tower in the lifter valley with 2 holes in it on angles towards each head, these holes must be plugged.
We may need more info or pics to help you more
Cheers

Squirtin Thunder
07-13-2004, 05:37 PM
Phegan is a New Yorker from hell !!!!
He called me at 5:08am and after I finally woke up after two hours of sleep we where able to narrow things down. It was the oil galley plugs. Can we say Oopps !!!! And I was also able to help him with some engine ideas. I will get some sleep tonight if it kills you. That damm guy had no idea that we were 3 hours earlier than the east cost. Well when I tell you guys to call please think first, but if it is an emergency anytime is OK.
Hay Phegan where you able to find the things we talked about???
Jetup
Jim

phegan
07-14-2004, 05:24 PM
yea, jim, it was an emergency, cause the plug is most surely missing:eek: as soon as i got home i pulled the timing cover an lo and behold no treaded plug:confused: besides i am now scrounging a cam and a straight up timing gear that you recomended.
really jim thanks for your help( sorry about the hour) I was a bout to close up the engine and call it an anomally. the low oil pressure was making me lose sleep though.(sorry about the pun). thanks again jim, i credit you with saving my new eng from an early demise.

Squirtin Thunder
07-14-2004, 10:15 PM
ANYTIME
Do you need a cam I have one or two or three. I have a new one that we talked about it. It is a Crane Powermax pn# CRA-353941, RPM range 2,000-5,000. It will work good for you. It is new and has been cryogenically treated. I will sell you for $110.00 plus shipping.
Talk later
Jim
BTW- Glad I could help !!!
Save a Ford wake a guy in Bullhead !!!

Squirtin Thunder
07-15-2004, 03:15 PM
Phegan,
Hay I also have a Stealth intake we talked about. It is in very good condition and it is clear powder coated looks really nice.
If you are interested I need $200 plus shipping. Take a look at the pic.
Jim

paul roberson6
07-15-2004, 05:25 PM
You said you started the motor for the first time and squirted oil on the lifters while it idled. When you start a motor for the first time, you bring the rpm up to 1800-2000 for 20-30 mins. to lubricate all the moving parts. If the motor idles at any time, you can destroy your cam and lifters. The plugs you mentioned were missing behind the timing cover have to be of a certain type with rounded back ends made specially for the 460 motor. If you install the wrong plugs you can impede or block oil flow through the motor.

LakesOnly
07-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by LakesOnly
...do you have all your passageway plugs in?
LO
Originally posted by Squirtin Thunder It was the oil galley plugs. Jim
I-I-I-I knew it...good going, Jim. :)

phegan
07-15-2004, 07:37 PM
really ,it was a good call!! - lakes and Jim
I going to be hassling the local ford dealer tomorrow for the right plug( accually it's the left plug)( i want to pull the other too)
My local motor friends don't know half the shit you guys know. If i get stuck this is the first place i go.
Jim , I'd love to snag the parts from you but, i'm real low on bread right now. all i can afford is a new straight up timing gear.
paul,
it was idling around 1200 rpm when i ran it,
I'm just going to cross my fingers that i didn't ruin anything, because the oil pres' was only 20 psi.
thanks , Padraic