PDA

View Full Version : American Chopper Fans....? for you...

RiverToysJas
07-12-2004, 09:17 PM
Do you feel that alot of their bikes are the same?
With a few exceptions, they are traditional choppers, stretched out and up, with the same overall shape. Even this new I-Robot bike (they are making it right now), it's going to be the same thing....They really should try to change things up a bit. Try a drag bike style, low and long. Get out of their comfort zone...At least they finally have people who can shape sheet metal now!!!
RTJas :D

Kilrtoy
07-12-2004, 09:18 PM
I have a better made one than those and I think I might sell it for alot less than theirs

LASERRAY
07-12-2004, 09:20 PM
This show began to bore me about 5 months ago.:sleeping:

DEEZ NUTTS
07-12-2004, 09:31 PM
I feel sorry for the guy who has to prep their metal work before paint. Got his work cut out for him.

superdave013
07-12-2004, 09:35 PM
You guys just wait. This new American Hot Boat show is gonna be off the flippen hook!
It will make Kilrtoy sell that slow chopper and get a fast flat!! Yeah baby ;)
Watch the lights!

RiverToysJas
07-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by DEEZ NUTTS
I feel sorry for the guy who has to prep their metal work before paint. Got his work cut out for him.
LOL! You noticed that too?

fourspeednup
07-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Their bikes suck IM(not so)HO of course;)
Their stuff just doesn't do it for me, never was a big fan but one bike they did a few years back(before all the TV stuff) caught my attention since it really stood out from the rest....too bad they haven't really changed anything up in their act since then:rolleyes:

fourspeednup
07-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by superdave013
You guys just wait. This new American Hot Boat show is gonna be off the flippen hook!
Watch the lights! any insight as to when us mere mortals can get some info on that?:)

Kilrtoy
07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Watch the lights!
Trust me that chopper aint slow,
I have yet to lose to a HARDLY, even the suped up ones......
But it is for sale

superdave013
07-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Trust me that chopper aint slow,
I have yet to lose to a HARDLY, even the suped up ones......
But it is for sale
LOL, yeah, I can whip the GEO metros too.
Try punching off with a Suzuki. Suped up is not needed.
I'm not knockin yer bike. I think it's bitchen. This boat's all kustom like that but is gonna focken run REALLY hard too. :) Should be pretty neat.

Kilrtoy
07-12-2004, 09:48 PM
LOL, yeah, I can whip the GEO metros too.
Try punching off with a Suzuki. Suped up is not needed.
I'm not knockin yer bike. I think it's bitchen. This boats all kustom like that but is gonna focken run REALLY hard too. :) Should be pretty neat.
I tried , but got killed.
The bike runs low 12's at about 110.
Ive never done that, but the magazine did it....

superdave013
07-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
The bike runs low 12's at about 110.
Ive never done that, but the magazine did it....
I don't blame ya, that's pretty damn quick for something like that I'ed think!

Kilrtoy
07-12-2004, 10:41 PM
I don't blame ya, that's pretty damn quick for something like that I'ed think!
I ahve run 119 on that bike and its nothing like the FZR or BMW
Im holding on for dear life. That is why I have only done it TWICE.....

HighRoller
07-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Not to drift off topic, but have you noticed that since the TV cameras invaded their shop they have gone completely commercial? Vendors' banners everywhere? And how much does Pauly Jr. get paid to wear those shades inside the shop? They cashed in just like Jesse"I drink Coors" James. Jesse for sure is the better builder out of the two because he actually could fab a bike from the ground up. I've never seen Paul or Paul Jr. shape metal like Jesse does. He's got them beat hands down on fabrication skills. The bronze/copper bike was awesome to watch him bend and rivet. In that manner he definitely is old school. But they all have sold out, IMO.

HOSS
07-13-2004, 02:55 AM
Just give it more time. Its already overdone. Its a bike. How many different ways can it be done and watched. The whole chopper thing is overdone. I too always said the same about the prep work for paint. Paul Jr. is a wuss. They have done the right thing and have the bread to prove it. Paul Sr. is now making Jr. go to the gym to get a more masculine look. Too bad he just lazy. His paw needs to shoot him with some juice too!

BarryMac
07-13-2004, 06:20 AM
I use to like the show, I've become really sick of seeing The Discovery Channel stage arguments between dad and son to get ratings, it's a lot like watching Jerry Springer on Steroids...
gjb

NorCal Gameshow
07-13-2004, 06:35 AM
having vinnie stop working to sweep up was weak...
it stays fresh if you only watch it say... once every 3 or 4 months...:D

secret stuff
07-13-2004, 06:52 AM
I see where you are all comming from but when I was on my way home from the river last weekend I saw their trailer with 5 bikes. The P.O.W., Fire Bike, Dixi, I Bot, and Apatche, they all look 110 times better in person when you are standing in front of them.

superdave013
07-13-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
Not to drift off topic, but have you noticed that since the TV cameras invaded their shop they have gone completely commercial? Vendors' banners everywhere? And how much does Pauly Jr. get paid to wear those shades inside the shop? They cashed in just like Jesse"I drink Coors" James. Jesse for sure is the better builder out of the two because he actually could fab a bike from the ground up. I've never seen Paul or Paul Jr. shape metal like Jesse does. He's got them beat hands down on fabrication skills. The bronze/copper bike was awesome to watch him bend and rivet. In that manner he definitely is old school. But they all have sold out, IMO.
Well I'll tell you right now I would not donate anything if my banner was not hanging up during the show.
That's the way it works.
I agree that Jessie is the man with a hammer and english wheel.

Dan Lorenze
07-13-2004, 07:08 AM
I worked 5 days with them when they came out to California for their AOL topspeed superbowl commercials.. I installed cameras on their bikes and cars. The guys are very down to earth but I agree, they are turning into a marketing machine. These guys were mobbed everywhere we went, autographs and photos.. They took it in stride. If anyone, Paul Jr. seems to be getting tired of the scene. Mikey is just along for the ride... It's funny how they shoot the show, the DP (Director of Photography) told us that flares in the lens were good and frame it ugly.. haha.. They use old cameras to make it look low budget, but it's not....
Dan

coolchange
07-13-2004, 07:09 AM
That show is getting weak. At least they got some equip. now. Snap On show was funny. part one- stuff everywhere. part two- clean shop new banners new boxs.
Mikey is the only thing that saves it for me. Last night it was funny. "I used to get upset about their fighting and the stress and the effect on their health. But now it doesn't bother me cause if one of them dies I figure I'm gonna inheirit some pretty cool stuff!!"

Jordy
07-13-2004, 07:30 AM
I think out of any of the builders, they build some of the ugliest bikes around. How much rake and stretch do ya really need? I'd hate to try any kind of emergency get out of trouble kind of reaction turn on one of those.
I guess it's something about driving down the road and having to look around the gas tank and triple trees to be able to see what is going on in front of you. Kind of like a big game of peek a boo.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by HighRoller
But they all have sold out, IMO.
What's wrong with making money off their own business and being successful? It's capitalism. Sure, it's commercialized, but who cares, they're making a ton of money nd apparently having fun at it.

Hustler
07-13-2004, 07:41 AM
I have not seen that show in a couple months until last night and I was just not into it.
Now the Moster Garage that was on last night with the 54 Chevy had to be one of the best shows I have seen. Watching all the old school guys go to town on that car was pretty cool.

Dr. Eagle
07-13-2004, 07:42 AM
I have always just gotten a chuckle out of Paul Sr. and Pauley. They remind me of a guy I used to work with... and his relationship with just about everyone else.

78Eliminator
07-13-2004, 07:45 AM
I still don't get those bikes. My weakest jap bike would kick the shit out of any of those "custom" bikes.
I mean, I guess it's all about style, and I guess that's cool. I just like bikes that go fast, stick to the road and are moderately safe at speed. Choppers are none of those. But I am not the kind of fella that rides a bike to "cruise" unless you call 150 cruising. :D

Wally_Gator
07-13-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Hustler
I have not seen that show in a couple months until last night and I was just not into it.
Now the Moster Garage that was on last night with the 54 Chevy had to be one of the best shows I have seen. Watching all the old school guys go to town on that car was pretty cool.
I agree with you on the M.G. show. Excellent. Jessie James looked like a kid in the candy store being around all of the history.
Paul Jr. and Sr. need to get a dam life. These staged arguments are fill for an otherwise , now boring, show.

superdave013
07-13-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Wally_Gator
I agree with you on the M.G. show. Excellent. Jessie James looked like a kid in the candy store being around all of the history.
Yeah, alot of talent was there. Fat Jack builds some bad ass cars. I'm sure they all do I've just seen more of his stuff.

superdave013
07-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 78Eliminator
I still don't get those bikes. My weakest jap bike would kick the shit out of any of those "custom" bikes.
I mean, I guess it's all about style, and I guess that's cool. I just like bikes that go fast, stick to the road and are moderately safe at speed. Choppers are none of those. But I am not the kind of fella that rides a bike to "cruise" unless you call 150 cruising. :D
78, that sounds like the jet boat / v-drive debate. lol
You just wait until ya get that hydro in the water.

RiverToysJas
07-13-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by coolchange
Mikey is the only thing that saves it for me. Last night it was funny. "I used to get upset about their fighting and the stress and the effect on their health. But now it doesn't bother me cause if one of them dies I figure I'm gonna inheirit some pretty cool stuff!!"
Mikey is funny as hell. I liked when Vinnie (or Vance as he insists they call him now) told him he couldn't do something, and MIkey replied..."I can do anything I want, my Daddy owns the company." LOL
As for the shop going commercial, that's what it's all about. They were chosen at random by the producer of Discovery, and basically hit the Lotto on the deal. They run a business! Why would they work in cramped quarters with no tools or money to hire more people when they could hang some banners, shake some hands, wear some designer duds and get paid all the way through??? That's way any smart business owner would handle that situation, exploit the hell out of it, because it won't last.

Lightning
07-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Hustler
That was an awesome build, I love the old school guys - I have a lot of respect for them. They don't care about fame and glory - they just love to build.

Jordy
07-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by RiverToysJas
That's way any smart business owner would handle that situation, exploit the hell out of it, because it won't last.
And just laugh all the way to the bank.
Just look at Jesse, he's out shopping for private jets and has a Ferarri in his garage now. As much as he whined about the price of fame, you know everytime he gets his bank statement he has a big grin going.

Lightning
07-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Do you feel that alot of their bikes are the same?
With a few exceptions, they are traditional choppers, stretched out and up, with the same overall shape. Even this new I-Robot bike (they are making it right now), it's going to be the same thing....They really should try to change things up a bit. Try a drag bike style, low and long. Get out of their comfort zone...At least they finally have people who can shape sheet metal now!!!
Seriously though, how many different ways can you build a harley. I think the IRobot bike will be a little different, they stretched it in front and back (standard issue) as well as in the center (not too common for them).

txtaz
07-13-2004, 08:39 AM
I'm with Hustler, the 54 chevy was a cool show. It showed the old schools really know how to do it. My guess is they were trying to show that all the new fab stuff isn't always the best way to go. BTW, they built that car for under $30k. Who in the world would pay $150k for a bike? I'll stick to Harleys and save the extra $130k for a house upgrade, new boat, etc.
Just my opinion.

superdave013
07-13-2004, 08:43 AM
txtaz, they didn't have any labor costs in there.
How much do you think those guys pull an hour?

Spotondl
07-13-2004, 08:59 AM
This is where the American Hot Boat show will differ significantly from choppers or hotrod... There are so many different types of boats out there...
Just about the time you are tired of seeing a build of some sick V-Drive's we bust out an offshore racer or a jet boat or a deck boat, whatever....
The basic tenet is that if someone is building a sick boat, of any genre, then we want in...
Eventually it will generate it's own thing.... I KNOW someone out there wants a 130 mph bass boat.... First to the fishing hole wins.....
My .02

AleAlchemist
07-13-2004, 09:05 AM
I think you miss the point.
They do use the same look. Its called a style.
If everyone did the same style bike it would look like a yamaha dealership.
As far as them looking like a small custom shop. they have been established for quit a while. Even in the first episode / Discovey specials they had some heavy duty equipment in the shop.
Hell they have a whole division of employees that do standard bikes to order- collor chrome, buttons lights and whistles.
I personally like West Coast Choppers style. its like anything else East coast vs West coast.
I stopped watching the bikes along time ago, I love it when Senior and Jr go off on ech other, though now it seems like show.
The Snappon Bike was cool:cool:

RiverToysJas
07-13-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by AleAlchemist
....they have been established for quit a while....
Yeah they've been building bikes since way back in '99! ;)
I know they have an established style, and they cator to that look. They are also very young in the custom bike building business. The equipment they had was from the long est. and successful Orange County Iron Works, Paul Sr.'s main business, before hitting the lotto with the Discovery Channel.
I think the long time successful builders keep you guessing though. I like West Coast as well, I really like WCC & Ness's work. But in the East, Indian Larry is KING IMO!!! If I had unlimited funds for a custom bike though, I'd get an Exile - hands down!!! ;)
http://www.exilecycles.com/images/steamroller_R_600.jpg

Froggystyle
07-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Here's my next deal... I want it bad!
Hot Match custom cycles.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=789732

RiverToysJas
07-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
Here's my next deal... I want it bad!
Hot Match custom cycles.
Well if Matt wants a deckboat, perhaps a deal could be worked!!! He gets HUGE cash for his work, but on the other hand those deckboats aren't going to be cheap either.....it might just work out for ya!!! Good Luck, that's a sick bike! More of a work of art than a road warrior IMO, but sick none the less.

Jordy
07-13-2004, 09:24 AM
I like that style much better than any of the big high necked choppers.

Froggystyle
07-13-2004, 09:29 AM
Well if Matt wants a deckboat, perhaps a deal could be worked!!! He gets HUGE cash for his work, but on the other hand those deckboats aren't going to be cheap either.....it might just work out for ya!!! Good Luck, that's a sick bike! More of a work of art than a road warrior IMO, but sick none the less.
We are definintely going to be working together. Look for his bike, coincidentally named "Revolution" at SEMA with us with KMC this year.
I am definitely having him build one for me though. They are without a doubt the nicest bikes I have ever seen. If you take a close look at that pic, you will see that the frame is flat on the ground. Once you start it up, it airs up the front and rear suspension to ride height and you ease on down the road. It rides nicer than a fat boy in my opinion.
Plus, it is so cool not having a kick stand.
Somehow, owning one of his bikes is dominating my conscious thoughts...

Jordy
07-13-2004, 09:31 AM
When I pull the trigger on a bike it will be something along these lines. Nasi builds some of the baddest bikes out there:
http://www.jimnasicustoms.com/bikes2/accrusa/stevefin6.jpg
Paint detail:
http://www.jimnasicustoms.com/bikes2/accrusa/steve12.jpg
Tail lights integrated into the fender and the paint:
http://www.jimnasicustoms.com/bikes2/accrusa/IMG_7680.jpg
http://www.jimnasicustoms.com/catalog_images/02/tail3.jpg
Another one:
http://www.jimnasicustoms.com/bikes/PJ/Studio-full-34--top-view.jpg

RiverToysJas
07-13-2004, 09:33 AM
I am definitely having him build one for me though. They are without a doubt the nicest bikes I have ever seen. If you take a close look at that pic, you will see that the frame is flat on the ground. Once you start it up, it airs up the front and rear suspension to ride height and you ease on down the road. It rides nicer than a fat boy in my opinion.
Didn't that bike you're on sell for over $200,000?

Froggystyle
07-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Yes. We are building something different anyway. I am going to be matching my boat's graphics to a tee, as well as the graphics on the new truck. Not to mention, I have something pretty wild up my sleeve that is not currently being done with these bikes...

RiverToysJas
07-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Not to mention, I have something pretty wild up my sleeve that is not currently being done with these bikes...
LOL! I would expect nothing less!!! ;) :D

RiverToysJas
07-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Froggystyle and the Magic Bike.....
http://www.op6c.com/images/froggy_mb/froggy_shoetree.jpg

Budget Baller
07-13-2004, 02:24 PM
I work for a large corporation that is going to be one of the sponsors ( this means we get to hang a banner ) for next years American Chopper shows. You have no idea what it costs. I am amazed at what these guys ask for and get, all for the privilege of hanging the corporate logo on a banner in the background. :confused:

miller19j
07-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Budget Baller
I work for a large corporation that is going to be one of the sponsors ( this means we get to hang a banner ) for next years American Chopper shows. You have no idea what it costs. I am amazed at what these guys ask for and get, all for the privilege of hanging the corporate logo on a banner in the background. :confused: I’ll hang one in my shop for a few end mills and a kurt vice. :D

Dan Lorenze
07-13-2004, 02:35 PM
It's funny.... A year ago these guys were considered "cool". But now that all of America likes them all of the sudden they're not that cool anymore.. They don't fabricate like Jesse or their bikes are weak... I don't get it.. It's kind of like a band that gets big, when they were small or underground and not many people knew about them they were cool and ahead of their time, but as soon as they strike any kind of success they've "Sold out"... The whole "Chopper" trend is way played out.... Not just because of American Chopper but Jesse too... I'm sick of seeing the Maltese cross too but let's remember these guys do some amazing work too... Do you think that because you can buy an OCC T-shirt at Mervins these guys have sold out? Not me...... Good for them... They're living their life to the fullest and they're as rich as could be....
Dan
http://img68.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Dan_Lorenze/OCCCam.jpg Mounting cameras at Irwindale speedway

Froggystyle
07-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Froggystyle and the Magic Bike.....
http://www.op6c.com/images/froggy_mb/froggy_shoetree.jpg
Great...
All I can say is, I am glad that I am on my side... I learned some new stuff on Photoshop last week.

RiverToysJas
07-13-2004, 04:18 PM
... I learned some new stuff on Photoshop last week.
Are you calling me out??? :cool: LOL

Floored
07-13-2004, 05:14 PM
rode my Bourget from 95-2001 and loved it. a friend bought it and we took it and his KZ1000 to irwindale on a thursday and the HD beat the Kawi 2 for two. 80 in H_D motor slightly tweaked and spun the tire through 3 gears. as they say " The crowd went wild":p

Froggystyle
07-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Floored
rode my Bourget from 95-2001 and loved it. a friend bought it and we took it and his KZ1000 to irwindale on a thursday and the HD beat the Kawi 2 for two. 80 in H_D motor slightly tweaked and spun the tire through 3 gears. as they say " The crowd went wild":p
That is so bitchin. What kind of motor did the Bourget have?

Goodtime$
07-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Bourget has some serious boat hardware

superdave013
07-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Ok, I have a question.
How does a bike like this handle? The head angle is so slack. It's gotta be in the 60 degree range or slacker. I know it's not intended to be quick and agile but it seems like it would have allot of push in the turns.

Froggystyle
07-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Not really. It has over 50" of rake in the frame, and another 6 degrees in the headset.
You wouldn't want to go supercrossing the thing, but it rides like a dream on the street.
Never mind the 60 meter turning radius ;)

DUNDUN
07-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Spotondl
Just about the time you are tired of seeing a build of some sick V-Drive's we bust out an offshore racer or a jet boat or a deck boat, whatever....
Building sick V-Drives will never get old!!!:cool:
But variety is cool too:)

Floored
07-14-2004, 06:30 PM
had a genuine H-D 80 inch motor. heads shaved .100 EV-5 cam andrews springs, titanium retainers, Chromemoly adjustable pushrods, S&S E carb supertrap 2 int 1 exhaust, crane ignition, total seal rings just basic hotrod stuff . I still miss it. it was the Pro-gets softail frame #14