PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider a "PWC" a "Boat"?

RiverKitty
07-12-2004, 09:53 PM
If you were carrying 2 pwc's behind your truck, would you say, "I'm carrying a "boat" behind me or would you say, "Seadoos, jet-ski's, waverunner......or just a type of boat"?
Sorry....just having a bit of a disagreement and need your help to settle this.
Cheers ~RK :D

dicudmore
07-12-2004, 09:54 PM
I think its a "boat" for registration purposes....
they refer to it as having a "hull" also :D :D :D

copperrat20
07-12-2004, 09:55 PM
PWC's are not boats. I would say I am towing a sea doo behind me. Just to settle the argument. Whoever said that a pwc is a boat should be hung!:yuk: :p :D

HCS
07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
No..No..No..You are what you are. I tow a ski boat and that's it.
It's not a wake board boat, a fishing boat, a race boat. It's a ski
boat.
And it ain't no See Doo either.

Debbolas
07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
I would say "sea doo's, wave runners, what ever I was actually towing behind me.............but that is just me........;)

dicudmore
07-12-2004, 10:00 PM
I typically refer to them as piece of shit sea-doo, wave runner, etc ;)

HCS
07-12-2004, 10:00 PM
Actually I tow a trailer. I think we all do.:rolleyes:

RiverKitty
07-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Even after all your replies....they still think it's a "BOAT"!!!!!!!
Aaaaargh!!!! :rolleyes:
Oh well.....I tried. :(

Debbolas
07-12-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by RiverKitty
Who?
No way? Why would they think 2 PWC are a boat?
(weird)
P.S. LOVE our hats!
:D

sorry dog
07-12-2004, 10:28 PM
I think it depends on the person. For RD, it is a boat...named bubbles:D

RiverKitty
07-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Debbolas
Who?
No way? Why would they think 2 PWC are a boat?
(weird)
P.S. LOVE our hats!
Well....we (the person will remain anonymous) were driving along pulling 2 seadoo's and everytime this person would refer to the seadoo's, they kept saying, "Boat". After awhile I said, "seadoo"....right? And they said, no, it's the same thing as a boat. Then we had to get on the internet and look up the word, "boat" in the dictionary....still not satisfied....I asked for your help. I mean, maybe I'm wrong....but a boat is a boat and a PWC is a PWC....weather it be a seadoo, jetski, ect. It's mearly a stupid disagreement that has been blown out of proportion.....and needed some clarification from true boating professionals.
By the way...thanks!!!!! *blush* Glad you like them!!!! :D

Debbolas
07-12-2004, 10:35 PM
wow, very strange........(love my hats)
Do you think maybe they said boat because the two sea doo's on the trailer are the same size as a small boat? I don't know....:rolleyes:

RiverKitty
07-12-2004, 11:11 PM
I don't know either.....but thanks for tryin' to help me figure it out. :rolleyes:
Where's BoatCop when ya need him? :(

Jrocket
07-12-2004, 11:13 PM
What does PWC stand for?:D

ratso
07-12-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Jrocket
What does PWC stand for?:D
...personal watercraft?

Jrocket
07-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by ratso
...personal watercraft?
then its not a BOAT is it...LOL

ratso
07-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I just call them jet skis...or, since we do fiberglass repair, they are also referred to as "money in the bank.":D

HM
07-12-2004, 11:57 PM
PWC are considered a vessel, but not a boat.
PWC's are not allowed to run after dusk regardless of lights.
PWC's have specific laws tied to them.
PWC's are not allowed on Canyon Lake (thank god their is a safe haven from these things).
What determines a vessel to be a PWC? The manufacturer, but typically it has handle bars and is sat on like an ATV and is under a certain length.
They are definitely not boats - how can something with handle bars be a boat? Kind of like saying a quad is a sand rail. If that does not break them of their ignorance, we can line up to kick them in the junk.;)

mickeyfinn
07-13-2004, 04:10 AM
Should be referred to "as pulling a target".

Havasu Hangin'
07-13-2004, 04:19 AM
Anyone calling a PWC a boat is probably also calling his golfcart a Ferrari (because they both drive on the road).
Just because it floats...doesn't mean it's a boat.

CAHotRodBoy
07-13-2004, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't call towing 2 PWC's a boat anymore than I would call pulling 2 dirt bikes a car!

MagicMtnDan
07-13-2004, 05:00 AM
Ask your in-denial lake lice owners this question: "How many people who own boats call them PWCs?" The answer is "NONE." And there's all the proof you need.

Seadog
07-13-2004, 05:09 AM
A boat is a submarine, as compared to a ship(destroyer,cruiser,battleship). A PWC is a floating toy, like what children play with in the bathtub. If you want to look at it like this, a motorcycle is not a car. It may travel the same roads and have some aspects in common, but you would never call a motorcycle a car.

Boatcop
07-13-2004, 05:10 AM
As far as definitions go, they ARE boats.
Classified as "Class A, Inboard Boats."
There is another step that makes them fall into the "Personal Watercraft. catagory.
Less than12 feet in length, water jet propelled, designed to be ridden by 3 or fewer persons who sit, kneel, or stand on rather than in, the craft.
The law will have to be ammended, since there are now 4 person PWCs.

Boatcop
07-13-2004, 05:11 AM
I've also been asked, what's the difference between a "boat" and a "ship".
A boat can be carried upon a ship, but a ship cannot be carried upon a boat.

Havasu Hangin'
07-13-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Boatcop
..and this is probably how the PWC salesman pitched it:
"....and you can have a boat for less than your Ferarri...errrr....golfcart costs..."

Bow Tie Omega
07-13-2004, 05:34 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HolyMoly
PWC are considered a vessel, but not a boat.
PWC's are not allowed to run after dusk regardless of lights.
PWC's have specific laws tied to them.
PWC's are not allowed on Canyon Lake (thank god their is a safe haven from these things).
What determines a vessel to be a PWC? The manufacturer, but typically it has handle bars and is sat on like an ATV and is under a certain length.
They are definitely not boats - how can something with handle bars be a boat? Kind of like saying a quad is a sand rail. If that does not break them of their ignorance, we can line up to kick them in the junk.;) [/
Well, while I am in agreement that Wave Runners are not boats, I have a Wave Runner SUV (the 4 seater). You are incorrect about the atleast the 4 seater rules and regulations. You can run my 4 seater after dusk, with lights, infact on 2 different occasions, once at Parker and once in Dana Point I was pulled over for what I thought was some sort of violation both times...The officers on both occasions wanted to take a ride and check the thing out, at dark.One of the determining issues of naming a watercraft a pwc is the overall length:)

OGShocker
07-13-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by ratso
...personal watercraft?
Then why don't they call them PW's? Just asking.;)

manuel
07-13-2004, 06:03 AM
Things you don't want on your rear end,
flashing lights
hemorrhoids
PWC's
*the Navy calls anything under 600 feet a boat.

RiverDave
07-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by sorry dog
I think it depends on the person. For RD, it is a boat...named bubbles:D
You know originally I wouldn't have thought much of it, but after reading this...
Originally posted by Boatcop
There is another step that makes them fall into the "Personal Watercraft. catagory.
Less than12 feet in length, water jet propelled, designed to be ridden by 3 or fewer persons who sit, kneel, or stand on rather than in, the craft.
The law will have to be ammended, since there are now 4 person PWCs.
Now I gotta ask?
Is Bubbles considered a PWC or a Boat?
Less then 12' in length
Holds less then 3 people (2 Max)
But you do sit in it? and it's an "outboard" instead of an inboard?
It's got lights on it (now) ??
RD

Dave C
07-13-2004, 08:09 AM
Jet ski's are not boats. They are lake lice.
Just because you own two of them or if they carry two passengers still doesn't make them a boat.
TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT!;)

Dr. Eagle
07-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Dave C
Jet ski's are not boats. They are lake lice.
Just because you own two of them or if they carry two passengers still doesn't make them a boat.
TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT!;)
They are considered boats by the US Coast Guard. As stated by Boatcop. Only major difference is the prohibition of use after dark... which is a very good thing.
I have always had a hard time calling mine that though. I always call them "Skis"...

Steamin' Rice
07-13-2004, 08:29 AM
RD,
If I remember correctly, Bubbles will have eggbeater power with a prop, right? According to boatcop's definition, a PWC is water jet propeled. Based on that, I'd think that you are safe to call bubbles a boat.
I have some neighbors who bought a PWC last summer. Around us they usually call it a jetski or waverunner, but I think that they normally refer to it as their boat. Their dealer told them that it was a boat and refers to them all as boats.. :D

ultrablurick
07-13-2004, 08:32 AM
I refer to them objects that float in the water either unattended or occupied by zipperheads with a warning that damage will occur to your gellcoat when struck.

RiverDave
07-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
RD,
If I remember correctly, Bubbles will have eggbeater power with a prop, right? According to boatcop's definition, a PWC is water jet propeled. Based on that, I'd think that you are safe to call bubbles a boat.
I'm not worried about what it's called.. LOL I'm worried about potential night time usage. ;) This thing is going to be my new Bar Hopper when I'm out with a chick. :D
RD

Brian Ray
07-13-2004, 09:00 AM
If you were carrying 2 pwc's behind your truck, would you say, "I'm carrying a "boat" behind me or would you say, "Seadoos, jet-ski's, waverunner......or just a type of boat"?
Sorry....just having a bit of a disagreement and need your help to settle this.
Cheers ~RK :D
I would say a waste of money.....:wink: I hate pwc's. :yuk:

dimarcobros
07-13-2004, 09:05 AM
A bit off topic here but I thought I would tell any way. Up4River and I were at a wedding this weekend in Newport. Just as the couple were about to say "I do" some jacka** started to throttle his sea doo to get all the water out or for what ever reason. See, they can be a pain in the a** in more ways then cutting you off.
DMB

Bow Tie Omega
07-13-2004, 09:44 AM
Just as the Big Boats >25 ft can be at the river when their 4 ft wake washes up and un anchors your boat.

bocco
07-13-2004, 09:49 AM
I've heard some PWC owners refer to them as "skis". Now I thought that was really a joke.

91nordic29
07-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Top Water Carp:cool: