PDA

View Full Version : How much power...

shaun
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
It has been brought to my attention that i may be building a motor that might have too much power for my boat. My boat is a 18' AnthonyBT. The boat doesnt have full stringers as you can see in the pick below. I'm building a 454 .060, 10.1 (maybe a few tenths more), 990 heads, tunnel ram with dual 660's, and full MSD ignition. I'm not sure on the cam yet but i'm thinking about going roller.
What kind of power have some of you gotten away with on boats with stringers that dont run all the way up?
http://www.reitanfamily.com/albums/Backfromtodd/IM001243.sized.jpg

cyclone
07-13-2004, 10:02 AM
I think you'll be ok depending on the condition of the fiberglass surrounding the stringers and the water you boat in. If the fiberglass insn't delaminating and that motor makes about 600 hp, I can't see it breaking the boat in half.
Probably the most detrimental thing to a boat like yours would be driving it through really rough chop. You might want to call around to boat repair shops that specialize in repairing older hulls like yours and get their opinions. A shop like Orange County Boat Repair could probably give you some valid advice.

Bow Tie Omega
07-13-2004, 10:12 AM
This may be a stupid question:D , why dont you just cut out the stringers you already have and install some full length stringers. I think it would be worth the extra time and would be money well spent. In your boats current state, you could probably have it done between $500 and $750. You could do it yourself for $200-$300 and that is with top notch lumber (Kiln dried phillipean mahogany) and fiberglass supplies.

Lightning
07-13-2004, 10:15 AM
I was thinking the same thing - you may want to run full length stringers - your boat is apart, motor is out, why not just do it since you are right there. Structural integrity is some serious stuff, especially when you have that much power in a boat that may see some serious chop.

cyclone
07-13-2004, 10:43 AM
i think he just had the floor replaced recently.

BrendellaJet
07-13-2004, 10:45 AM
I think you will be fine. As long as the floor is solid. Did todd do that? or just the stringers? One ride in some serious chop and you wont try to take that thing out on a lake unless its a weekday.

shaun
07-13-2004, 11:10 AM
Todd did just do the stringers so those are solid. Todd just repaired some areas on the floor where the glass was comming up. My dad actually did the floor, i guess the old floor was rotten out. He cut that 3/4" wood to fit perfectly in there and it's solid, it's once large peice. I wouldnt doubht if that floor strengthed the hull a bit (kinda of like a strut tower bar). But then again i'm not sure if that is a good thing. Todd told me he thinks it will be find since it's been run with that floor for years and have not had any problems with it.
Full stringers is a option i suppose but i just had them done. So far with just about everything i have done with this boat i do somthing and then wish i would have done something else after it's done. I guess thats why these are never ended projects!
I think i'm going to run it how it is and we'll see how it holds up. If it cant hold i guess i have no choice but to tone it down a bit, buy a diffrent hull or strenthen this one!

Bow Tie Omega
07-14-2004, 06:53 AM
WHile the full length stringers would be the best way to go IMO, I think you will be fine. Just be aware and remember the fact of what you have and do not make any trips to Catalina in the afternoon:D :D :D

Squirtcha?
07-14-2004, 06:57 AM
I've seen some boats with the short stringers where they boxed it in. That is to say.........they made a cross piece for the forward part of the stingers. I'm assuming it was to add some strength to the motor area. Of course it won't do anything to strengthen the rest of the boat, but might be an option if you're worried about the stingers handling the power you intend to put in it.

BrendellaJet
07-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Ive seen pics of the Goal post type stringers. You would have to box in the current design, and then glass in one full length stringer down the center(underneath the floor...) May be more work than installing two full length though...
Point it, none of these little boats were meant to be big water ocean liners. Dont use it that way and you will be fine.

Danhercules
07-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Isnt Anthony and Southwind the same? If so, I have the same set up in the hull. Floor with motor lengh stringers. I have approx 500 HP and runnin in the low 70's. No problems so far. I think you will be fine, just dont romp on it in the rough water.

shaun
07-14-2004, 11:43 AM
yep, from what i've been told anthony and southwind are the same thing. Making a box isnt a bad idea, actually making a strut type brace seams like even a better type deal, one that can be adjusted.

BrendellaJet
07-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Shaun
yep, from what i've been told anthony and southwind are the same thing. Making a box isnt a bad idea, actually making a strut type brace seams like even a better type deal, one that can be adjusted.
Not sure how you would do that, Im betting you would be fine as is. Its not a bad idea to inspect for cracks occasionally though, especially along the stringers and the floor, as well as the bottom side of the boat.

TRG
07-14-2004, 02:08 PM
IMO run the hell out of it shaun!...if it fails...we know what the next step would be!:D
todd

Jake W
07-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Dude it is not a Civic wood and resin does not act the same as metal does to pulling and pushing it in and out.It will not work the same as a strut bar.
Why not make a rail kit for it that will give it more strength than a 4 point glen wood set up or worse a 3 point set up.My thinking is like Todds run it if it breaks put full length stringers in it .
PS have any of you guys put full length stringes in a low pro jet befor I HAVE and it is no joke laying on your stomach glassing the front of them in even with a painting mask /verntlator it is a killer.Unless you like burning eyes and choking on the resin fumes and the resin that is hardning burning your skin.Guys around hear charge 1500 to do it and I would say they earn every penny doing it.
Jake

shaun
07-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Todd,
thats what i'm gonna do. If it breaks i know who i'll be calling :)
Jake W,
Imports arnt the only cars that run strut bars... the idea was in regards to the box idea others had and to strengthen them a bit. I plan on running a rail kit...

Jake W
07-14-2004, 03:39 PM
OK Mustang Camaro what ever it is not a car.
You did say adjustable not fixed.So if you plan on streching it or pulling it togeather it will be cracking it.
Good luck Bro
Jake

BigBoyToys
07-14-2004, 08:28 PM
I've ran boats without full length stringers and around 600hp in the past with no problems. As long as they're good and solid, I think you'll be ok.