PDA

View Full Version : Eff'n Social Security Admin

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Just to add yet another political thread.
My mom passed away July 7, 2001. My dad was originally told that he would be eligible for my mom's social security funds when he turned 60, later this year. Called the Social Security Administraion last week and they now say my dad is not eligible to receive those funds and the funds that the government held "in-trust" for my mom get re-distributed back into the general fund! Probably for a bunch of losers that have never even paid into the fund! I do't give a rat's a$$ whose, republican or democrat, dumba$$ decision this was but it is not my fault, nor my dad's, that Social Security is going bankrupt! Just give my dad the GD money they took away from he and my mom over the course of her working life! This is just criminal in my opinion! I am so pissed right now! :mad: :mad: :mad:

572Daytona
07-13-2004, 12:16 PM
This doesn't sound right, I don't see any exclusions on the SSA website:
http://www.ssa.gov/ww&os2.htm
From what I can see as long as your dad didn't remarry, had been married at least 10 years and is not collecting a government pension he should be eligible for reduced benefits starting at age 60

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2004, 12:20 PM
That's what we were originally told but now they said he makes too much money to even receive the reduced benefits. And it's not as if this is all my dad has for retirement, it's the principle of the matter, you know? Don't take something and hold it for later use and then deny it because the person passed away. That's not right!
For every $2 you earn over $11k annually they, the SSA, deduct $1 in benefits. Well, with what my dad earns it wipes out the entire benefit.

SeaRayPat
07-13-2004, 12:22 PM
you need to find her a lawyer ...yes it will cost you but it's worth in the long run

v-drive
07-13-2004, 12:24 PM
My parents have been gone a few years now but after my Dad passed my mom had the choice of keeping hers or assuming my dads. I don't believe that has changed. You can't keep both
...v-drive

Essex502
07-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Scott....that doesn't sound right and flies opposite from the webpage posted above...I'd seek a second opinion...Just like the IRS get one opinion...call back and see if you get another opinion...You might want to do a google search for more info.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2004, 12:27 PM
I edited my original post with this:
For every $2 you earn over $11k annually they, the SSA, deduct $1 in benefits. Well, with what my dad earns it wipes out the entire benefit. This is right off of the link posted above.

572Daytona
07-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Yeah, it does look like they have limits on how much you can make before age 65:
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10069.html
At 65 he will be able to collect but since his benefit will probably be higher, he would get his benefit in lieu of you mom's. He may want to talk to an accountant and it may be a good excuse to retire early ;)

dicudmore
07-13-2004, 12:30 PM
I don't like the sound of that.... :mad:

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 572Daytona
Yeah, it does look like they have limits on how much you can make before age 65:
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10069.html
At 65 he will be able to collect but since his benefit will probably be higher, he would get his benefit in lieu of you mom's. He may want to talk to an accountant and it may be a good excuse to retire early ;)
That's the plan, retire early. As I said, he does not need the money to retire it is the principle of the idea of them withholding the money which is wrong since they took it originally.

spectratoad
07-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Isn't it funny how these politicians, both parties, most of whom are pretty well off get to constantly take our hard earned dollars yet they are exempt from any of it and still keep most if not all of their salary after retirement and if they die that salary or benefits pass on to their wives.
And then they say how we are allowed to get back our suppesed savings (SSI, IRA etc...) How is it up tothem to tell me that I am only allowed to save a portion of my earnings per year?????:mad:
Wouldn't it make sense that if I want to forfeit all or part of my SSI deductions out of my paycheck and invest it MY way that should be up to me.
A study I read about said that workers who are on the PERS system versus Social Security get back an average 0f 56% more of their money. Not sure what that would equate to as far as someone putting it in the stockmarket or realestate or whatever.
I just get real tired of the government taking more & more of my money and then I have to either give it up, fight to get it back or if I do get it back it is with a penalty.:mad: :mad:
Social Security is a dinasuaor (sp) that needs to be extinct. It was never meant to be a permanent system and it probably would work well if the GOV would keep their F*&^ING hands out of it.

Mandelon
07-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
Don't take something and hold it for later use.....
LOL That's a good one. You know that isn't how it works. They don't hold it, they spent it long ago. The SSA funds have been borrowed and spent by the "you know who's" in charge of congress......
The money we put in today is going to pay the benefits of current retirees
Limits will continue to to exclude more and more people. They have to, there is not enough money to pay everyone on the system.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
LOL That's a good one. You know that isn't how it works. They don't hold it, they spent it long ago. The SSA funds have been borrowed and spent by the "you know who's" in charge of congress......
The money we put in today is going to pay the benefits of current retirees
Limits will continue to to exclude more and more people. They have to, there is not enough money to pay everyone on the system.
That's exactly my point and it's wrong! And the buffoons have known about this stuff for years. Fortunately my dad, and myself, will not need to rely on Social Security funds for retirement. But that does not make it right.

Essex502
07-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
I edited my original post with this:
For every $2 you earn over $11k annually they, the SSA, deduct $1 in benefits. Well, with what my dad earns it wipes out the entire benefit. This is right off of the link posted above.
That only holds true if your dad is working when he goes to collect it. If he isn't working how can they make any deduction? What it looks like after reading the publication is that they are trying to encourage those that are working to defer taking SS funds until age 65 and 4 months. If you dad quits drawing a salary then he is entitled to the benefits. If he waits until age 65 and 4 months to draw SS benefits he can continue getting income from wages AND drawing the SS benefits. It will be the same for his benefits or if he takes your mom's. Same situation on the payments.

MagicMtnDan
07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by spectratoad
Isn't it funny how these politicians, both parties, most of whom are pretty well off get to constantly take our hard earned dollars yet they are exempt from any of it and still keep most if not all of their salary after retirement and if they die that salary or benefits pass on to their wives.
And then they say how we are allowed to get back our suppesed savings (SSI, IRA etc...) How is it up tothem to tell me that I am only allowed to save a portion of my earnings per year?????:mad:
Wouldn't it make sense that if I want to forfeit all or part of my SSI deductions out of my paycheck and invest it MY way that should be up to me.
A study I read about said that workers who are on the PERS system versus Social Security get back an average 0f 56% more of their money. Not sure what that would equate to as far as someone putting it in the stockmarket or realestate or whatever.
I just get real tired of the government taking more & more of my money and then I have to either give it up, fight to get it back or if I do get it back it is with a penalty.:mad: :mad:
Social Security is a dinasuaor (sp) that needs to be extinct. It was never meant to be a permanent system and it probably would work well if the GOV would keep their F*&^ING hands out of it.
You're absolutely right (and I'm sorry to hear this - it's gotta be painful to be screwed like that).
What needs to happen is this:
1. Don't elect John Kerry since he's running on raising taxes. Every dollar (percent) that goes to the government NEVER comes back.
2. The SS "system" needs to be overhauled. I suggest:
A. Let people keep the money tax free (just like a 401k, etc.) to invest and only tax it when it's pulled out. The government won't do that since the lousy politicians can't play with our money.
B. Let people decide where and how to invest it. Why not allow us to put together an investment group that would take these pre-tax dollars and get together to form a consortium that invests in housing. We'd buy homes and apartment buildings and refurbish them and sell them and/or rent them out and make money which would be taxed but the properties wouldn't be taxed as long as the monies were rolled back into the original investment. Something like that would benefit millions of people but again the government/politicians wouldn't have our money to misappropriate.
Vote out the incumbents in November (except Bush) especially Boxer and Feinstein!

Essex502
07-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Come on guys...this isn't a political rant.

AzDon
07-13-2004, 03:37 PM
I believe that the government should refund your Social security deductions up to the amount that you can show that you put in an IRA-type account. I also believe there should be no limit to the amount you can put in an IRA for income reduction purposes (up to, say, half your income). I also believe that ALL medical insurance premiums and expenses should be allowed as full income reductions for individuals, taking the healthcare debate out of the employer's arena. Naturally, ther'd have to be limits on when (what age) you could draw your IRA money or for what targeted personal investments it might be allowed sooner ( RE purchases, medical bills, education)
Notice I didn't say 401K's because I think they are an evil scheme to keep your money out of your personal ownership and control. I will NEVER AGAIN voluntarily contribute to a program that makes me apply to a committee to BORROW my own money if I can prove hardship! My previous company (Matlack) was in Bankruptcy during Bush's market crash and even though I had already requested liquidation and return of my 401K funds, by the time they got around to distributing them the investments had dumped. I know others who have complained of the slowness of "sell" orders on their 401K in a declining market.
401k= snakeoil!
One more thing! I'd fully support the total abolition of Social Security IF all the monies that have been taken from my paychecks are returned to me! Fair is fair, right?

Mandelon
07-13-2004, 04:24 PM
AZDon, it sounds like your beef should be with your 401K administrator not the medium itself. My 401K is self directed and I can have at it anytime.....

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
07-13-2004, 05:11 PM
spread the 401s I do