Thread: stern power out drives

Pure Magic
    Does anyone have any info. on these. I know I read something awhile back in the forum. I think they are better known back east.
    Thanks,

BADBLOWN572
    They are a pile of dung! We installed one on a 1k h.p. cat and what a nightmare! We first had to raise the engine 4" because it is a surface drive which meant reconstructing the back of the boat. Additionally, the good props are around 3k. In addition to the props, custom steering had to be made to fit it. It is a wierd size and standard external steering would not work. It requires an additional transmission and will eat up around 100+ h.p. from the flywheel to the prop.
    Once we got all of the parts installed and working right, the owner popped 3 of the drives in about 2 months. Had in total about 15 hours on each drive before they broke. Owner is running a B-max with more luck than the Sternpower.

Pure Magic
    Thanks for the reply. I have a friend that has two of these jules.
    I will let him know what he is in for.
    Thanks again!!

RebarBox
    Well, I guess I don't agree with Badblown....
    I have the Stern Powr's on my old Cig. I'm not running near 1000 HP, but haven't had any real problems with them, but maybe a new boot and a seal. The old drives are tough, considering your are looking at early 70's techo.
    I will agree that props are a grip to find. And parts are somewhat difficult to find and sometimes expensive.
    I have had luck finding everthing I need at Marysville Marine in Marysville, Mich.
    Also www.jtmperformancemarine.com sells full drives and parts. He also runs 1200 HP thru his Sternpowr on his cat.