Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket F.A. 496HO

phebus
    The flame arrester on my 496HO makes a whistling sound that sounds like a belt slipping, and it drives me crazy. Any suggestions on an aftermarket flame arrester, or a fix for the one I've got? Cleaning it didn't change it.

RiverToysJas
    When you take the FA off and the sound goes away???
    RTJas

phebus
    Good question, there is no doubt the sound is coming from the F.A., but I didn't remove it to see if it is coming from behind it. Everyone that gets on the boat thinks I have a belt slipping until I lift the hatch and let them hear for themselves. I will have to take it off before buying a replacement to find out exactly where the sound originates.
    Anyone else have this problem?

RiverToysJas
    I asked because my 496 makes a loud sucking noise (could be called a squeek), but it's not the F.A. (I run a K&N), it's just the intake. When you crack the hatch up though, it's pretty loud. I assumed they were all like that.
    RTJas

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
    a friend of mine had the same problem he went to a K & N

phebus
    Originally posted by RiverToysJas
    I asked because my 496 makes a loud sucking noise (could be called a squeek), but it's not the F.A. (I run a K&N), it's just the intake. When you crack the hatch up though, it's pretty loud. I assumed they were all like that.
    RTJas
    This is a shrill squeaking sound. Again, it sounds just like a slipping belt. I expect a loud air movement, but not this.

twistedpair
    Get bigger speakers and amps!! That's how I used to kill the noises in my old POS cars, Hell who am I kidding. I still do!!

dicudmore
    I've never heard of that symptom before

Phat Matt
    Get a K & N. You can get them online for pretty cheap. And while you're online do what Twisted Pair said and bump up the system. I just got some more new shit in today and can't wait to install it!

phuggit
    Mine had the whistling sound also. I went to a K&N this year. The whistling noise is not as loud, but still there.
    I recommend going to a K&N anyways. When I removed the stock wire mesh FA, there was a layer of belt dust inside the throttle body. Just my .02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast